Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

5 corrections, most recently by lindyhopper - Show corrections





Writing from Los Angeles (U.S.A.)  

on February 20 the correspondent of  

the "Daily Telegraph" says that nine members of the crew of the American ship Emily Reed, 103 days out from Newcastle, Now South Wales, with a cargo of coal for Portland, Oregon,   were lost when the vessel went ashore     half a mile south of the Nehalem River,   on the Oregon coast, at 1.30 o'clock in

the morning of February l4, The   dead are:-Ship's Carpenter West- lund, Seamen Sortzeit, Johnson, Dick- son, Darling, Cohenstad, and Gilbert, the cabin boy (Hirschfeld), and the cook (name unknown).

Captain Kessel, his wife, First Mate Fred Zube (or Dubie), Second Mate Charles Thompson, Seamen Ewald   Ab Idstedt, Arthur Juhunke, Sullivan, Bartell, and Franchez were saved. The captain, his wife, and five of the sur- vivors managed to make their way ashore when the ship struck, but the first mate, two seamen, and the, cook were not rescued till they had voyaged

200 miles in an open boat. The cook died from the hardships he endured,       and through drinking salt water, while

the others were all delirious. The   ship has broken up, and together with its cargo of 2110 tons of coal is a total loss. Owing to the long passage of the ship, 25 per cent. reinsurance had been offered on her. For several days preceding the wreck heavy weather had

prevailed off the coast of Oregon. The   main cause of the disaster, however, was the fact that the captain's chro- nometers were wrong.      

Captain Kessell was endeavoring to       make Tillamook Rock. He was correct in his latitude, but too far to the east- ward. When he discovered his posi- tion the vessel was among the breakers. It was too late to wear ship, and she struck on one of the most dangerous places on the Oregon coast. When she hit the beach bow on there was a heavy sea running and a strong flood tide.

Her back broke, and the forward end took a list to port. A lifeboat was launched, in which were the first mate, Fred Zube (or Dubie, he being given both names), Seamen Ewald Abildstedt,

Arthur Jahunke, and the cook. It       seemed to tho captain and the rest of  

those on the wreck that, as soon as this

boat hit the water it was swamped, and   they so reported when they, reached   shore. Three days later , this lifeboat turned up 200 miles to the north.

After having seen, as he thought,     four of his men drowned before his     eyes, the captain advised the remainder  

to stay by the wreck till daylight broke. He himself remained on the poop, but  

forced his wife to keep below. The second mate and three men on his

watch were on the main deck. When

the forward portion of the ship listed   they succeeded in making their way aft,

and clung to the ship till daylight,     which brought dead low water, and    

then they, with the captain and his wife, managed to get ashore.       The captain reported the death of 12 of the crew, but on February 17 came the report from Neah Bay, Washington

State, that three more men had sur- vived. Just about midnight the watch of the little six-ton sloop Teckla, lying at anchor at Neah Bay, was startled by a feeble hail. Those on deck saw a steel lifeboat drawing up slowly. The     boat carried four men, three, living and one dead, from the Emily Reed, whose timbers were being pounded on the

shore of Oregon, 200 miles away. The     cook had boen dead over a day, while   the first mate and the two seamen with   him were in a pitiable condition. Their tongues were so swollen from thirst that they could scarcely articulate.   Later in the day the first mate was sufficiently recovered, to be able to tell   their story.      

"Almost the instant the Emily Reed    

struck the beach," he said, "she began  

to break up. As she struck the spats

went out of her. We had scarcely a minute's warning of breakers before  

the shock came. I was forward, call- ing all hands on deck when she struck. In a twinkling one of the lifeboats was smashed by a big wave, and the decks

were so deep in the boiling water that   there was no time to get aft, where   Captain Kessel and his wife and some of the rest of the crew were.

" We had to act quickly; Abilstedt,

Jahunke, and the cook came tumbling   out of the forecastle with scarcely any

clothing on their backs. We jumped 'into the remaining lifeboat and cut at the lashings. A big sea broke over     the wreck and carried us clear. A

second wave carried away, part of the   galley deck roof, and it was hard work clearing the boat of the wreckage.     One of my arms was broken when the   wreckage of the galley dropped on to us. Moreover, there was only one good   oar in the boat. We did our best to get back to the wreck, but failed, and, believing all hands save ourselves were lost, we got up sail and stood out to sea. As I knew the coast to be a de- solate one, I thought it best to keep   the boat well out, hoping to fall into the path of steamships. With this       idea I set the course northward.  

"Water came in fast, as the metal   boat had been punctured in several  

places by the wreckage which fell on her. There was nothing to bale with so we tried to cut off part of the air- tight compartments with our knives. It was tedious work sawing at the   tough metal, and we had worn all our blades off before we could wrench half it off.    

"This box we used as a baler. It   took about half an hour to get the boat empty, and in about half an hour we would have to do it again. The se- cond night out we saw lights ashore,

but it was too dark for us to venture   in. There was neither food nor water,

and we suffered terribly from thirst.   Toward evening the cook declared he   could not stand it any longer, and took a drink of sea water. He soon became delirious and lay down in the pool of water in the bottom of the boat About 2 o'clock Sunday morning we saw a big steamer. She stopped near us, and we all believed we should be saved at     once. One of the men shook the cook

awake, and, pointing to the steamer,     asked him if he didn't want to be   saved. He got on his feet and seemed rational as he watched the steamer. Just then the vessed got under weigh again and left us. Then the cook   gave up the fight. He lay down to die. Half an hour later we found his body cold; his heart had stopped beating.

"All Sunday we kept seeing all sorts of vessels, but none would ans wer our hails. I suppose we were too far off to be made out plainly. When we sighted Tatoosh lighthouse at night we gathered what little strength we

had left and steered the boat to Neah   Bay."

The little boat was at sea 78 hours,

and must have drifted at the rate of   two miles and a fraction per hour to get 200 miles north. There was a

biting wind most of the time, and the   men suffered terribly from exposure as

well as from want of food and drink. The Emily Reed was built in 1880, be- longed to Hind, Rolph., and Co. of San Francisco, and left Newcastle, New South Wales, for Portland on Novem- ber, 3, 1907.