Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

6 corrections, most recently by Peter.Eedy - Show corrections





THE final tie match for the challenge cup and badges of the Anglo-Queensland Football   Association, the most important contest of the season under these rules, was played at Pine- apple on Saturday afternoon in the presence of     fully 350 spectators. For general information   it may be as well here to mention who have been the winners of previous cup tie and badges in past seasons. In 1884, which was the first season these rules were played in this colony, the final tie match and the badges of the A .Q. F. A. were won by the Rangers, who beat their then opponents, the St Andrews, by 1 goal to nil. In 1885 there was a slight dispute over a goal in the final match which took place in the gardens between the same clubs, and the matter was left for the association to settle, who ordered the match to be played over again on the 19th September, 1885, but as the Rangers did not turn up on that date, the Saints being on the ground, all the latter team had to do in accordance with the rules was to simply send the ball through the posts, which they did, and they were declared the winners of the cup and badges for that Season. And now, as to the final tie match for the present season. The first match was to have come off on the 7th instant, between the Rangers and Queen's Park clubs, but the latter forfeited, owing to all of the team not putting in an appearance, and consequently this left the Rangers to encounter the St Andrews, which they did on Saturday last. The follow- ing were the respective teams:- St Andrews Goal, M Drennan , backs, W Inglis, R White, half backs Collie and Grahamelaw ,   forwards, right wing A Brown, Shelley centres, Fowler (captain), J Robinson, left wing, A Manson, D Menzies. Rangers Goal, J Stevenson, backs, Waugh and Far- quhar, half backs, McNaughton, Rankin (cap   tain), forwards, right wing W Alison, C McMurtrie , centres, Burke and Edgar , left   wing, J and W Cairns. Umpire for St Andrews, Mr W Menzies and for the Rangers, Mr Wordie , while the arduous task of referee devolved upon Mr Hastie, of Ips- wich Both teams were strongly represented, although the Rangers were minus two of their best men, who could not attend. The Rangers won tho choice of position, and elected to kick up the field. At 4 o'clock Fowler, the St Andrews skipper, set the ball in motion from the centre. The Rangers forwards returned the ball at once into Saints territory, and McMurtrie centred it well from the right wing to W Cairns, who managed to send the ball clean through tho Saints' goal St Andrews kicked off from the centre, and in a short time the Rangers'goal was in jeopardy, but the attack was skilfully warded off. A series of inroads into each other's territory then took place, during which some fine dribbling was performed by Fowler and Shelly of the St Andrews, and J and W Cairns of the Rangers, while the back play on both sides came in for applause. But for Collie the Rangers at this juncture of the game might have again scored, but that sure kick sent the ball clean out of danger, and the supporters of St Andrews breathed freely. The ball was still in Saints' territory, occasionally being put out of bounds on their right wing. When at last it was in the field of play the Rangers made an onslaught on the St Andrews goal, which Drennan, who was in charge, withstood in capital style. Yet again the same goal was attacked, and with the same result. The St Andrews' team had their work cut out for the time being, but their back play was all that could be desired. Every movement of the ball was eagerly watched, and every piece of good play on both sides was applauded. As the game progressed, St An- drews seemed to settle more to their work, and the scene of operations which for a time were confined to Saints' territory, were now changed to that of their opponents. But the Saints were not permitted to get past Waugh, of the Rangers, whose defence in the back division was of great importance. Some good long dis- tance kicking between White and Farquhar   was appreciated. By way of a change D Menzies broke away, and with the ball at his feet was seen careering down the Rangers' wing, and the supporters of St Andrews ap- peared confident. Waugh intercepted him, and the crowd cheered him to the echo. However, the Saints meant to be on even terms with their opponents, and playing well together, kept the ball in their opponents quarters. A corner kick was given against the Rangers, and Shelley was intrusted to propel the sphere, which he did successfully, and J Robinson soon getting a good opening, drove the ball through the Rangers posts. The score was now-Rangers, 1 goal, Saints, 1 goal. On th» resumption of play the players on both sides for a long interval kept each other from scoring, and they went at their work with such energy and perserverance that the spectators often accorded them hearty ap- plause. The Rangers made several attempts to score but were unsuccessful being too well watched by their opponents, who in turn would make an occasional dash into Rangers' country, and cause the Rangers' goalkeeper to be on the alert. Out of a scrimmage near the Rangers' goal the ball was driven through their posts, and the state of affairs   now stood-Saints, 2 goals , Rangers 1 goal. After the ball had been again in play for a few minutes half time was announced without any further change having taken place. On resum- ing, the teams changed ends. The Rangers set tho ball in motion from the centre. Shortly after the start the Saints goal,was in jeopardy but the attack was warded off. Fowler, on behalf of St Andrews, tried to break away with one of his nice dodgy runs, but Waugh and McNaughton stopped his career. Shelly now   showed aome excellent work for the Saints and was applauded, having made a good shot from a difficult angle. The contest waxed warmer   as time progressed, the Saints playing up with   great spirit, and keeping their opponents strictly on the defensive. Good as the Rangers defence was, in the heat of the struggle one of their own number sent the ball behind

their own goal line, which of course,   meant a corner kick to their opponents. Shelley made a capital shot from the corner kick, judging the distance well, and just land- ing the ball clean in front of the Rangers' goal, where Fowler was in waiting, and to the in-

tense delight of the supporters of St Andrews, scored a good goal. Result now-St An drews 3 Goals , Rangers 1. Things were now commencing to look rather black for the Rangers, but after this they entered into the   fight with more dogged perseverance than ever. Still each goal in turn was attacked and all to no purpose. It was a great struggle for the mastery, and the excitoment at times was in- tense, especially when W Alison sent the ball through the St Andrews goal posts, thus scor- ing second goal for the Rangers. After the Saints sent the ball in play their oppo- nents dashed down to near the Saints' goal, which was in jeopardy for the time being. It was not for long, as the St Andrews at this critical time had to be extremely careful and watch every movement of the enemy, who, by the way, were troublesome at times. Shelley, however, was playing a great game on the wing for St Andrews, and made several good runs ending with shots at goal from difficult angles. At last, after a good run, Shelley cen-   tred the ball well to Manson, who shot success fully, and No 4 goal for St Andrews was announced. From that to the call of time nothing further waa scored. The Rangers made a final effort to augment thoir score, and W Alison made a true shot at goal, which Drennan withstood in good form. A little play after that particular final dash of the Rangers, and the final tie match of 1886 was a thing of tho past. St Andrews won after an exciting contest by 4 goals to 2. It was with out doubt the best game of football under these rules played in this colony, and from start to finish the best of feeling prevailed. Of course     each side had their supporters, who cheered them throughout. The kicking of the backs on both sides was splendid, and the forwards all worked hard. The goal keeping on both

sides could not have been improved on. It was a treat to watch the dribbling displayed throughout tho contest, and that was one of the features of the game The play throughout was of the most unselfish description and playera on both sides deserve praise for the manner in which the ball was passed. Very few fouls occurred, but corner kicks were a little too numerous on the part of the Rangers, and that cost them dear. Where all worked so well it is needless to particularise, and, in conclusion, the St Andrews, again the premier club this season, are to be congratu- lated on their hard fought victory. On the other hand the losers are to be complimented for the plucky manner in which they held out to the last. The collection taken at the gates will aid the association funds to some extent. The umpires and referee did their work well, and all matters referred to them were quickly disposed of. A spectator, who had witnessed matches played under these rules in Victoria and New South Wales, stated to me that he never saw such a splendid game in those colonies as the contest of Saturday.



These clubs met on Saturday at Sandgate. The visitors were very strongly represented, including in its ranks some first class senior players. Tho local men put rather a weak team in the field, and then played one short. The result of the match was St. Johns, 9 points, Sandgate, nil The play of both teams' forwards was very good Newall, Thompson, Fowles, Bott, und Heslehurst being con- spicuous for Sandgate, and Hodder, Arnott, and Baldwin for St Johns. For tho visitors, Farquhar played a splendid gamo back, being ably supported by Young, Lord, and Snell. For the local men, Bradbury showed excellent   form back, Thoms and Sewell also playing well. The passing of the visitors was very good, but the Sandgate team as a rule passed when too late. Their backs have also a rather bad habit of running back towards their own lines. Somo vory fair dribbling was exhibited by both sides.


This match was played on the Eton School grounds, Nundah, under Rugby rules, the weather being very unfavourable, and the grounds vory dirty, the result being a victory for the former by 10 points to nil. For the Kangaroos J. Ashby (captain), W. Fischer, and W Moss played well ; and Buchanun (captain), Wills, M'Phcrson, Widdop, and Chancellor did good sorvico for the Etons. Mr. Gardner gave general satisfaction as field umpire.



August 2S.

Football is played out in Ipswich so far as tho fixtures for this soason are concerned. The weather, however, is not yet too warm for the game, and as crickot will not be commenced for two or thrco weeks yet, somo extra matches may bo arranged for.

The chief interest in tho matches here this afternoon was taken in the one under the Rugby Union rules, between a combined Bns- bano team and tho local Rangers. The former

comprised thirteen players, many of whom were , members of tho team which visited New South Wales this season, while the Rangers had their full complement. The ground (North Ipswich) for the greater part of the time was very greasy,  

and the men had great difhculty in keeping     their feet. Rain fell during the match, but   play was continued without interruption. The

ball was made so slippery by tho mud and wet

that passing was not so much indulged in as it   would otherwise have been, a circumstance which was perhaps rather in favour of the local players, who could hardly havo been so well up in this departmont of the game as their oppo- nents. The former could hold their own as to fleetness of foot, but the Brisbane men were a good deal the heavier, and in tho scrimmages and tackling their superior weight told mate- rially. Considering the nature of the ground the game was a fast one, and as such created a good impression amongst the spectators as to the merits of Rugby. The Rangers made a really creditable show, when it is taken into consideration that they had to meet first class exponents of tho game, and this also being their first season. Indeed, several old players were so favourably impressed with their efforts that a successful career was prog- nosticated for them next year. No goals were kicked during the match, the visitors winning by two tries (4 points) to ono try (2 points). Tho local playors at one time almost scored a goal, which would havo placed them a point ahead. Heiner in making a run was hotly   pressed and passed the bull to Atkinson, who with a flying kick of about forty yards, put the leather over the bar. Unfortunately he hap- pened to bo a very short distance in front of Heiner when he received tho ball, and there- fore, he being off side the kick did not count, and the ball was called back. Though falls were numerous and heavy, no ono was seriously hurt.

The last gamo under the Australian rules olio carno off on tho North Ipswich ground this rt ornoon, between the junior teams of thcBris banc and Ipswich clubs The former team com- prised soventtcn and the latter nineteen players. Rain stoppod tho play just before half time, when tho Blues hadscoied 3 goals 7 bchinds to tho Reds' 7 behinds When tho shower was over the latter declined to go on with the match, which consequently, I pre- sume, may bo put down as a victory for tho local team The Ipswich second twenty have won everv match they played, but one, this season The ona defeat they sustained was at the hands of the Grammar School team and this wos due to only about half tho Ipswich players putting in an appoaranco