Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

16 corrections, most recently by agsmedley - Show corrections



(From Our Special Correspondent.)  

Samarai has been much more fortun-   ate than Port Moresby in that it has experienced heavy rains at the latter part of June. It is estimated at 14 inches, flooding the island in several places, and the cricket pitch was from twelve to eighteen inches under water. The "Lytton," a ketch owned by Messrs. J. R. Clay and Co., Ltd., and "run" by Mr. Bruce Hamilton, was caught in the storm off Milne   Bay and capsized early on the Sun- day morning. Mr. Hamilton was just returning from a recruiting trip, and had 21 natives on board. All were thrown into the water, and Mr. Hamil- ton managed to get hold of a kerosene case to support him, and was eventu- ally rescued a few hundred yards from shore at about four o'clock in the afternoon. It was found that nine natives had been drowned.

Port is experiencing dry weather, and the residents, with a number of "boys," are beginning to watch their tanks with a suspicious eye. A very old regulation—one presumes it dates from the days when the reservoir was first built—states that if one requires to purchase water before August 1, the price is £2 per thousand gallons, if after August 1, the price is only £1. One imagines that at that time the wet season has become a certainty, and its length could be fairly accurately gauged. With the changing rainfall   being experienced of late years board- ing-house keepers, hotels, and em- ployers of native labor in "bulk" find it not only ridiculous, but a hardship, to have to wait to August 1 before the price is lowered. No one who has to   ultimately purchase water handles it carelessly, or allows it to be wasted. We had several cloudy outbursts which resulted in just a few drops each time, and are still cheerfully hop- ing for more. Sapphire and Rona have had good downpours, Rona hav-

ing one to three inches over the dis- trict.        


By a proclamation in the Govern- ment "Gazette," made under the Cus- toms Ordinance, in the early portion of July, the importation into the Terri- tory of aircraft of any kind, either assembled or in an unassembled condi- tion, or partly assembled, and aircraft

engines, is prohibited save under the following conditions, and subject to the following restrictions—In respect of aircraft and engines manufactured in the British Empire, only upon certifi- cates of airworthiness issued by the competent authority in some part of the British Empire; in respect of air- craft and engines manufactured in a     country not part of the British Empire,   only upon an import licence issued by the Government Controller-General of

Civil Aviation, in addition to a certi-    

ficate issued by the competent author-  

ity in the country of manufacture that   the aircraft or engines comply with

all the airworthiness conditions and  

requirements of the Commonwealth  

Controller-General of Civil Aviation.


Mr. Eric Chater, late acting gen-   eral manager of Guinea Airways Ltd., at Lae, New Guinea, during the ab- sence of Mr. I. Grabowsky, the gen- eral manager, south, passed through by the Macdhui en route for Adelaide,   where he will take over the new Lock- heed Electra airliner purchased by the company for work in New Guinea and Papua. The Lockheed's maximum speed is rated at 212 miles per hour, faster than the new Douglas and

Stinson machines. As a demonstra- tion the new 'plane will be flown from Adelaide to New Guinea, calling at the various towns. It is expected here   early in August — about the 3rd.


Island Exploration Co., Pty., Ltd., a company registered in Victoria, was registered in Port Moresby in the last week in July as a foreign company under the Papua Companies' Ordin- ance. Mr. L. Tracey, of the Steam- ships Trading Co., Port Moresby, is the public officer of the company, with the registered office at that of the Steamships Trading Co., Ltd.


The liquidator of New Misima Gold Mines Limited, Inc., in liquidation, re- ports that a third dividend of £1 per

share has been declared. It was to  

be payable on June 22.  


The first permit issued under the   Petroleum Ordinance was granted on June 22 by His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor. The permit con- fers exclusive right to search for petroleum in and upon the land the subject of it, and the Ordinance re- quires the approval of the Minister   before the issue of such a permit. The permit was granted to Mr. C. J. Ahern (formerly of the Vacuum Oil Co., at Lao, New Guinea), and is for twelve months from September 1 next.

It contained special terms and condi-    

tions, amongst which are the expendi-

ture of large sums of money in the first and second periods of six months of the duration of the permit. Special but confidential reports of the work

done under the permit are required,  

and provision has been made for in- specting the work done. The permit   may be cancelled should the owner   fail to observe the terms and con- ditions of the permit or the Ordinance. A sum of money has been lodged with the Treasury as a condition to the issue of the permit and as a security   for the observance of the obligations under the permit. Provisions safe- guarding the rights of the natives and also their rights under the mining laws appear in the permit, at the ex- piration of which the holder of the permit may remove machinery, etc., within a reasonable time. It is under-

stood that the permit before the com- mencement of operations will be trans- ferred to a company formed to pros-

pect for oil. About 20,000 square

miles in the Western and Delta Divi-  

sions are included in the land granted by the permit.


The Orama came in about seven in  

the morning of the 9th, and the  

weather was good until evening, when  

we had our first decent rain for

months. Not very much, but enough to make the trip over to the vessel at night for the dance a bit unpleasant for those in evening wear. All the private and commercial cars in the town were in evidence, and the pas- sengers were all taken out on their arrival to the village, where a native dance had been arranged. The trans- port on this occasion was taken in

hand by the European constable, Mr. Gough, and was run in rotation, a most satisfactory method, as previ- ously it was very badly managed. The B.N.G. Trading Co. broadcasted that they were prepared for trips to Rona Falls at 30/- a head, and several booked up, but when they found it was to be on lorries they were not

keen, so one of the commercial cars   took them up. The other residents would have been quite prepared to go to Rona at much less than 30/- per head, with a full car, but that was not known. However, there are cars dis- cussing that in the future, for tourist steamers, the cars will have a notice to that effect. Pari trips were fre- quent on the Saturday morning, but a number stated that if they could have known how to arrange it, they would have sooner gone to Rona than see two villages. One lorry was much complained of in that the tickets were  

collected at Pari, and passengers were informed that they could get in any car to come back. It then departed to

look for more passengers. Needless to say, it was a native driver, who de- serves a severe censure by the firm who employed him. One car owner brought back seven passengers, all ladies who had been left there with- out tickets, free of charge. Naturally they were rather "sore." Drink prices fascinated the passengers, after both the steamer and Australian prices. The stores did quite a fair amount of trade in silk goods, etc., and Burns, Philp's manager exerted himself and his staff to the utmost to see that all was satis- factory. On the evening of the 9th a dance was given on board for the residents, and, despite the fact that rain fell during the evening, almost all took advantage of it, and in reality all the young folk. A most enjoyable evening was spent, and an excellent

supper put on. Judging by the early   hours of the a.m. most of the young   folk arrived home, the friends made during the day gave them a good time.


The "Zono," the amphibian which is   part of the equipment of the Archbold Expedition, which at time of writing is up the Fly River in search of mamma- logical and zoological specimens for the American Museum, came into Port Moresby on the afternoon of the 8th   about five o'clock. At about 11 o'clock

that evening, the pilot, Mr. Russell Rogers, and wireless operator, Mr. H. Juledst, with a couple of friends, went   on board and inspected all for the   night. At about 5. 30 in the morning, Mr. Rogers, with a party of friends, went down to the wharf to go out in the seaplane to meet the Orama and found that the 'plane was almost sub- merged, upside down. Communication was made with the Orama, and the   captain agreed to assist in raising the vessel and draining her. She was fin-   ally brought over to the Orama, but when lifting her the cable broke, break- ing the wings, and dropping the 'plane back into the sea. Later she was again raised, and towed back to the landing buoy. She is at present at   the foreshore front, with the wireless operator and Mr. P. H. Leigh dis- assembling the engine, wireless instru- ments, etc. The vessel is naturally a total wreck. lt cost just about £25,000 to land here. The plans of the expedition are undecided. There is   talk of a new 'plane being purchased and brought out, but also talk of aban- doning the expedition. Mr. Russell   Rogers left for Wau on the Sunday morning in the Guinea Airways Stin- son machine, with Pilot Koch, and it   is their intention to fly from Mt.     Hagen with the Ford 'plane and drop   rice and temporary supplies for the party, who have gone in towards Mt. Blucher. The Maira also leaves with       supplies for the Fly River. On her last trip the Maira went up above the Palmer Junction, the highest any vessel has yet been.        



The annual session of the Legislative   Council is to be held next week, after the arrival of the Montoro. Hon. A. H. Bunting came along by the Macd- hui; Hons. A. Jewell and R. Lister- Turner by the Laurabada on the 11th, and Hon. A. C. Nelsson comes by the  

Montoro from Samarai. The first      

session will probably be held on the 20th.                


The copra steamer Salvus is ex- pected here on the 20th, and the con- signment will be as large as usual if as at present anticipated.

The Laurabada left for Yule Island on the evening of the 9th with the Acting-Lieutenant-Governor and his   Honor Mr. Justice Gore, as well as the official secretary and master of the vessel, Hon. H. L. Murray, on board. Sister Paschal was a passenger in and out. His Honor commenced on the following morning at 8.30 with the sittings of the Central Court, and con- tinued till 6.30 that evening uninter- ruptedly. Nine cases were tried. Rev. and Mrs. Lister-Turner were brought back, and Hon. Arthur and Mrs. Jewell taken aboard at Manu Manu on the re- turn trip, the Laurabada reaching Port Moresby about one o'clock on Saturday.

The first round for the Louden  

trophy, a bogey competition over 18 holes, was a win for Mrs. R. T. Gore,

with a card of 7 up. Mrs. Giblin, 1 down, Mrs. Frame, 2 down, Mrs. James, 10 down, and Miss Osborne, 11 down. Members played a four-ball aggregate on the Saturday afternoon, which was won by Judge Gore and Hon. E. C Harris, with 171-35-136; L. H. Hilder and G. A. Bayer, 162-24 138; E. J. Frame and C. K. Lockhart, 180-38-142; E. Grant and C. A. Dougherty, 183-40-143; A. de Groen and K. Cleland, 187-44-143; W. E. Giblin and W. R. Frame, 196-38-158.

The monthly medal and the third round of the Guttridge Cup was played on Saturday last, and resulted in a win for W. R. Frame, with a card of 59 nett. As a result his handicap has been reduced to 24. George Bayer also returned his best round to date, with a nett 61, which was also the best score off the stick. In future he will play from the 13 mark. The result of the first round for the Cap- tain's trophy, 18 holes stroke, played by the associates, was a win for Miss Osborne with a nett score of 66, fol- lowed by Mrs. Gore with 73.


Mr. K. Binns, Commonwealth librarian, is to arrive on the Macdhui, en route for the other territory, and on the night of the arrival of the steamer will give an address on the history and work of the libraries, illustrated by lantern slides.

Mr. C. T. Wurth. Resident Magis- trate of the Central Division, has been appointed Commissioner for Lands, and Director of Mines and Agriculture as from July 1. Until the end of

June, Mr. E. B. Bignold, Crown Law officer, was in charge of Lands and Agriculture, and Hon. A. P. Lyons was in charge of the Department of Mines. The departments are once again under the control of one head.

Mr. W. R. Humphries, who relieved Mr. Wurth as Resident Magistrate when he was on vacation leave, will again take up the position as Resident Magistrate here, coming into Port by

the Montoro.

Paying a visit to Port Moresby, en route for a holiday in the south, is Mrs. Constance ("Connie") Wright, now resident in Salamaua, New Guinea, one of the old pioneers whose kindness to the miners on the old Lakekamu field will always remain in the memories of the "old-timers." Mrs. Wright still remains the same, and is as energetic as of yore. She paid a visit to Mr. and Mrs. G. A. Loudon, at Eilogo Plantation, during her three weeks in Port.

Hon. A. H. Bunting, M.L.C., accom- panied by Miss Meg Bunting, arrived by the Macdhui. Mr. Bunting will remain until after the session of the Legislative Council, and later Miss Bunting will pay a visit to Mrs. Doris

Booth at Wau.

Hon. and Mrs. A. Jewell arrived by  

the Laurabada from Lolorua on the   11th, and Hon. A. G. Nelsson arrives   by the Montoro.

Mrs. Roy Field and son Ray, from     Ou Ou Creek, near Yule Island, paid a visit of about a week to Port Moresby, returning home by the   "Gwen."  

Mr. R. A. Woodward, at present   Resident Magistrate at Daru, accom-     panied by Mrs. Woodward, goes to     Samarai to take up a similar position   there.  

Mr. Mac Rich relieves Mr. Leo Austen at Losuia, going on three  

months' leave.            

Mr. Grist went from Buna on fifteen months' leave, at the expiration of   which he retires from the service. Mr.   O. J. Atkinson took over from Mr.


Mr. J. J. Hartley, of the Treasury Department was married in Sydney       to Miss Lorna Duncan, of Strathfield, Sydney, and the newly-weds are honeymooning at the Blue Mountains.

Mr. P. S. (Mick) Rich was presented

by his fellow-cricketers at Samarai, on the eve of his leaving for the Man-   dated Territory, with a suit case, and they wished him all sorts of luck.

At the new Catholic Church at      

Samarai on June 20, Mrs. L. von Bremen was married to Mr. J. B. Roche, Rev. Father Lyons officiating. The bride was frocked in grey de- lustred satin, and was given away by Mr. E. G. Skelly. She wore a pink   shoulder posy, which toned with her hat of silk crinoline, and carried a   white prayer book. Mrs. Broodbank, Matron of Honor, wore a gown of   floral georgette, with cowl front and   draped sleeves, a hat of blue straw, and carried a bouquet of pink roses and white frangipanni. Mr. Percy Wood acted as groomsman. The Samarai Hotel was beautifully decor- ated with flowers by Mrs. Skelly, for the reception, only relatives and very intimate friends being present. Mrs.     Clunni, in a gown of navy crepe-de- Chine, and blue hat trimmed with white, received the guests. The two- tier wedding cake, the work and gift   to the bride of Mrs. Broodbank, graced

the table, calling for much praise. Mr. and Mrs. Roche will remain in Papua for some months before leaving for Sydney, where their home will be.     The bride is a very well known and popular resident of Samarai, and con- gratulations were the order of the day.

Messrs. J. H. Ahern, N. Osborne, and A. J. Wilson, en route for Rabaul, to catch the Montoro for Rabaul, after having completed their business     in connection with the permit to search for oil which was granted, left by Guinea Airways' Stimson machine under Pilot Hemsworth, on July 5.   Mr. R. D. Bertie, on business bent,   left on the 'plane on Sunday last, for Wau.           Mr. J. G. Hides, A.R.M., who made the much-talked-of patrol of Western Papua, has resigned from the Papuan     Public Service as from June 4. It is not every one who estimates news-   paper publicity at its true value. The transition from an officer in the   Papua service to that of a private in- dividual will make a vast difference in any work done.                 Mr. F. A. Roberg, mining engineer,       who previously spent several months in the Lakekamu district, came up by the Orama and went on to Wau by 'plane. Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Woodward ar-   rived by the "Vailala" from Daru on the 20th, and are awaiting the arrival of the Macdhui in Port, when they will go on to Samarai, where Mr. Wood- ward will take up the duties of Resi- dent Magistrate in lieu of Mr. W. Humphries, who is to come to Port Moresby.      

The following promotions have been made in the magisterial department: Mr. W. H. Thompson, second grade Assistant Resident Magistrate, sta- tioned at Kairuku to first grade   A.R.M.; Messrs. A. S. Peterson and   S. E. Smith, patrol officers, to second grade A.R.M's.              

Mr. and Mrs. T. L. Sefton and the   Misses Lord, from Koitakinumu Plan- tation, and Mrs. M. Godson and Mr. F. B. Godson, from Itikinumu Planta- tion, paid a visit to Port for the visit

of the Orama.

Dr. and Mrs. Bonney and daughter arrive by the Macdhui for Port Moresby.      

Dr. and Mrs. W. E. Giblin leave here by the steamer for Wau, where the   doctor has accepted a position. Both   the doctor and Mrs. Giblin are much liked, and will be much missed, the doctor more especially by those who have so much under his care and are accustomed to his ways. This will be his first experience of the goldfields, but it will be remembered that Mrs. Giblin was over there for some time running her own mining operations. Dr. Bonney's appointment is at present temporary, and as Dr. Williams, from Samarai, leaves shortly for twelve months' leave, which he will spend in study, there will also be appointed there a temporary doctor.

Colonel White, Federal Minister for Trade and Customs, will fly back from Wau, the rest of' the party coming round by sea. During the two days he will be here before the departure of the steamer for south the colonel will visit rubber plantations in the Sogen district This will give him an entirely different impression of the Port Moresby district, for a visit to the Sogeri Tableland is an eye-opener after the barrenness of Port Moresby.

Mesdames H. L. Murray and L. Hilder gave a "farewell" afternoon to Mrs. W. E. Giblin, on the eve of the departure of Doctor and Mrs. Giblin for Wau, at the residence of Hon. H. L. Murray, at Kenedobu. About 20 intimate friends of Mrs. Giblin were present, and apologies were received from Mrs. T. L. Sefton, of Koita- kinumu Plantation, Mrs. G. A. Lou- don, of Eilogo Plantation, Mrs. E. C. Harris, wife of the Treasurer, and Mrs. Roy Field, of Ou Ou Creek

Plantation. A very enjoyable after- noon was spent. His Excellency the Acting Lieutenant-Governor, Hon. H. W. Champion, C.B.E., who was at- tended by Hon. H. L. Murray, C.B.E., official secretary, made a brief speech, expressing the regret of the friends of Mrs. Giblin at her departureafter a residence of about 25 years in the ter- ritory, and asking her to accept a gift of a leather suitcase and a crystal toilet set on a tray as a reminder of the friends she was leaying behind her. Mrs. Giblin, who was visibly af- fected, sincerely thanked her friends. On the same afternoon, at the resi- dence of the Director of Public Works, Hon. A. P. Lyons, the director, an old Samarai resident, where Dr. Giblin had been stationed for many years, had gathered together a number of "older" friends, those who had known the doc- tor in Samarai. After the valedictory speeches the doctor was presented with a travelling rug for himself and a gift for Mrs. Giblin. In the evening, the members of the cricket club, of which the doctor had been honorary surgeon during his stay in Port Moresby, gave a dinner at the Papua Hotel. A most enjoyable time was spent, and Messrs. Lewis Lett, L. H. Hilder, G. A Bayer, and B. M. Molloy paid tributes to the kindly assistance given always by the doctor in case of need. On the Tuesday evening, the 14th, a smoke social was given by the residents of thc town in the picture theatre, when the doctor was presented, amidst much applause, with a purse of notes. Vari- ous speakers expressed their regret at his departure from their midst, and the doctor responded.