HISTORY OF CORRIGIN. Wheat and Wool Production. CORRIGIN, Nov. 4.-Before 1908, the only connection Corrigin had with the outside world was the railway track which ran to Southcrn Cross. At that time it was practically impossible to get anyone to take up land near the rabbit proof fence. The first settler to venture out to Corri- gin was Mr. A. W. Goyder, son of a surveyor-general of South Australia, who took up the area on which the town now stands. He was followed by Mr. Jack Crossland, son of a surveyor, and then came Messrs. Jose Bros. and Gayfer. Lack of water militated greatly against progress, but as dams and wells were completed settlement became more general. Although the 1914 drought was a setback subsequent good seasons im- bued settlers with new faith. Before Mr. Goyder's advent the late Mr. George Walton held most of the land under pastoral lease, operating it from his homestead at Wogerlin Rock, about 12 miles norts-east of the present town- ship. As years went by the growth of the district became assured, and today, in the short period of 30 years, it is a witness to the pioneering spirit of the early set- tlers. The district is essentially adapted to the growth of wheat, wool, barley and oats. The towns adjacent to the district are, to the south and west, Yealering, Wickepin and Quairading, and to the east and north, Kondinin, Baba- kin and Bruce Rock. The average annual rainfall of Corri- gin over a period of 16 years is 15.74in. This includes the drought year of 1914, when only 8.84in. was recorded. The rainfall for 1937 is below normal and has been so for three years, the regis- tration for this year to date being 10.09in. Area Under Wheat. The area now under wheat is 78,543 acres, and the expected yield from this is 11 bushels. There is about 6,000 acres under oats. The average wheat yield for the district over the period 1930-36 is 11.75 bushels. The most noticeable advance in production is that of sheep and wool. In 1932 there were 86,138 sheep in the district and the clip amounted to 581,5001b. In 1936 there was an increase of 30,409 in the number of sheep, bringing the total to 116,547, which gave a clip of 720,0481b. It is estimated that the 1937 clip will slightly exceed that of 1936. More attention has been paid in recent years to fat lambs for export, and this season one grower, Mr. Ted Larke, has sold 170 to the Albany freezing works, for prices ranging from 28/ to 29/ per head. The lambs were by Dorset Horn rams from Leicester ewes. Mr. Trott won the prize at the Royal Show this year for the best commercial fleece, and the class of wool exhibited at the Corri- gin Show in September was praised by the judges. The town of Corrigin is situated close to the railway station, the outskirts be- ing on rising ground. A fine hall, built at a cost of £8,000, stands almost at the corner of the two main streets. Corri- gin also possesses a big State hotel and fine hospital and commercial buildings. A bowling green, tennis courts and golf links have been laid out, and the town possesses one of the best-situated show- grounds in the State. The streets are planted with hundreds of trees, but the town lacks one essential --an adequate water scheme. There is no lack of well water, but this is so im- pregnated with magnesia that when it is used frequently on gardens the soil be comes infertile. Used on lawns and grasses the water has no ill effect.