Sudden Death of Mr. R. G. Bowen.—Our obituary records the death of Mr. Robert George Bowen, which took place suddenly on Wed- neday morning, November 17. He had been
in his usual health during Tuesday, when shortly after taking tea, he was seized with a fit of apoplexy, which terminated fatally a few minutes after 12 o'clock, notwithstanding the efforts of Drs. Mayo and Phillips, who were almost immediately in attendance on the first symptoms manifesting themselves. Mr. Bowen was well known among the early colonists, having arrived here in 1839. He at once started in busi- ness as a builder in Hanson-street, and one of his first works was the erection of the Company's Mill at Hackney, on the banks of the Torrens, which is now iu the occupation of Mr. Stevens. The South Australian Bank on North-terrace is also one among other of the oldest buildings in the city which remain as monuments of his handicraft, also the Supreme Court House in Victoria-square, the massive and substantial structure of which will render it for many years to come a promi- nent feature in the architecture of the metropolis. Two years subsequent to the completion of this contract, Mr. Bowen paid a visit to England, having disposed of his business which was then carried on in Waymouth- street, to Messrs. English & Brown. On returning to the colony he withdrew from active business with the exception of a few years, during which he occupied the premises now used by Mr. Darling, which he built as barracks for tbe use of the Government. He had acquired a con- siderable amount of city properly, and only lately had been erecting several cottage residences of a superior class on his ground. The deceased leaves behind him a large family, several of whom arc established in business in the colony. He was one of the earliest and most steadfast supporters of the first Congregational Church in the colony, having been for nearly 20 years a deacon under the late Rev. T. Q. Stow, at Freeman-street, and his successor. Though taking no prominent position in public matters, beyond serving for two years—in 1863 and 1864—as a member of the City Council, he was well known as a man of thorough integrity and uprightness of character. He was a consistent supporter by his purse as well as his personal assistance of many religious and charitable Societies, and movements in connection with not only the Congregational but other denominations, by whom his removal will be sincerely regretted. The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon at West-terrace Cemetery, and was largely attended, the number present testifying to the feeling of respect entertained toward the deceased. A portion of the funeral service was conducted at the house by the Rev. F. W. Cox, Mr. Bowen having been a member of his Church for the last four or five years, and the hearse was then followed to the Cemetery by three mourning coaches, containing his sons Messrs. Charles, Robert, Henry, Thomas St., and Alfred Bowen, Hon. T.Reynolds, and Messrs. W. C. Buik, G. Scrymgour, and S. Whitmore (deacons of Hindmarsh-Square Congregational Church), and others, a long line of about 30 private vehicles forming the procession. Around the grave, in addition to tbe above, were the Revs. H. Cheetham, M. H. Hodge, James Way, S. Mead, G. Prince, and H. Fenton, and a number of leading colonists and men of business in the city.
The deceased having been a member of the Board of Directors of the South Australian Insurance Company, the offices of the Company were closed during the afternoon, and the Directors were present at the ceremony. The burial service was read by the Rev. Mr. Cox, and prayer having been offered by the Rev. S. Mead, the coffin was lowered into the family vault. MR. J. W. O. BENNETT.—Our Northern Terri- tory correspondent's letter gives a full account of the melancholy death of Mr. John William Ogilvie Bennett, one of the members of Mr. Goyder's party, who also accompanied Mr. Finniss in 1864. Mr. Bennett was a young man who had received his education at Mr. Young's Adelaide Educational Institution, where his father, Mr. Thomas Bennett, has been for many years and still is one of the principal masters. His son exhibited a persevering industry, which enabled him to take a high position among his schoolfellows, and his name was very frequently to be found in the half- yearly prize-list. In drawing and surveying he took a warm interest while at school, and on leaving found occupation congenial to his tastes in the Government Survey Department, where he dis- charged the duties of his office with credit until appointed to the first Northern Territory Expedi- tion in April, 1861. It will be remembered that he stood out somewhat prominently in reference to that as a consistent supporter of his superior officer, whom he defended with considerable spirit against the charges which were made against him by various members of the party. Amongst his associates his quiet unpretending manner won him very general respect, and great is the regret which is felt by his school com- panions, with whom he had been in the habit of keeping up a friendly communication by means of the Old Scholars' Association, at his early removal. That regret will no doubt be shared by those who were not intimately acquainted with him, but now hear of his death under such sad circumstances. We have seen a photograph of the tomb which marks his resting-place on the other side of the continent, an emblem there of the respect and regard of the survey members of the expedition for his memory. The tomb is enclosed by a neat chain fence, on a spot surrounded by palm and other trees. The Late Mr. F. Aldenhoven.—On Sunday afternoon the remains of Mr. Aldenhoven, of Tanunda, were carried to the grave. With the exception of the funeral of the late Pastor Kavef there has not been in the district so huge an atten- dance, the main street having been thronged by people. The district derived great benefit from his zeal for his fellow-countrymen and colonists, and his public services were much appreciated. He had during 27 years spent at Tanunda been useful, and considered a pillar of the Church with which he was connected. His kindness and unsel- fishness in giving advice and assistance were conspicuous among the many good qualities which endeared him to rich and poor in the district. Mr. Aldenhoven was a member of the first Council formed at Angaston, then Chairman of Tanunda District Council, and a Justice of the Peace; next 10 years he had been Clerkof the Council, and even in a very weak state attended its meetings, his final visit being on Monday, when, in a touching manner, he bid farewell to all friends present, stating that this would be his last attendance. He had suffered painfully for 12 months, and had reached the age of 56 years. The burial service was impressively conducted by his friend the Rev. Mr. Rechner, from Light's Pass, and the Rev. Messrs. Auricht and Heidenrait.