No corrections yet
GUILDFORD CEMETERY. Reconditioning Undertaken. Some time ago the Guildford Muni cipal Council called a conference of representatives of the Swan, Bassendean, Belmont and Darling Range road boards to consider the unkempt condition of the Gufldford cemetery on the Kalamunda-road. The cemetery is an old one, in which a num ber of early residents of the State were buried. Its age is indicated by the fact that a minute exists on the books of the Guildford Municipal Council for 1888 di recting that all future burials should be in the cemetery. Previously it had been the custom to use the Guildford church yard as a burying ground, but the pre sent cemetery had been used for some time before its exclusive use was decided on. Until recently the cemetery has been vested in the Anglican, Roman Catholid and Wesleyan churches as trustees, but these bodies have found the cost of maintenance beyond them. As a result of the conference between the local bodies, a cemetery board was formed, con sisting of one representative of each of the local bodies, the three churches and the Salvation Army. The board has taken over the cemetery, and has commenced to function under the chairmanship of Mr. W. D. Johnson, M.L.A., with the town clerk of Guildford (Mr. L. Gibbons) as secretary. The board inspected the cemetery on Sunday and has adopted by-laws, which are to be gazetted. The board has decided to approach the local authorities for con tributions, and to ask the churches to make available any funds held for ceme tery purposes, or to subscribe as far as possible. It has also been decided to solicit public subscriptions.