THE LATE MR. E. W. ANDREWS.
It is with very deep regret that we have to record the death of Mr. E. W. Andrews, one of the proprietors of this journal. Mr. Andrews left home about a
month since for Port Elliot, in the hope that the change would recruit his strength, which had been for some time failing. He was suffering from organic disease of the liver at the time he went away. A few days after reaching Port Elliot his strength perceptibly diminished, and he sank from exhaustion at an early hour on Friday morning. Mr. Andrews, who had attained his sixty-fifth year, was the son of the Rev. Dr. Andrews, minister of the Congrega tional Church at Walworth. One of his brothers is living in Melbourne, and a sister is married to Mr. Coventry Patmore, the well-known poet and artist and the author of tho 'Angel in the House.' In early life Mr. Andrews was brought up to business as a merchant, and eventually became a member of the London Stock Exchange. He came out to South Australia by the ship Anna Robertson, which arrived here in September, 1830. Thus, although not strictly a pioneer, he ranked among our earliest colonists. In December of the same year he took part in promoting the South Australian Insurance Joint-Stock Company, which has now ceased to exist; and early in 1840 he entered into business as a general mer chant with Mr. Gorton, the firm being known as Gorton & Andrews. In the year 1841 Mr. Andrews became a Director of the now defunct Marine Fire and Life Insurance Company, and in April of that year he was appointed a member of the Committee for the Protection of Religious Freedom. The object of this organization was to secure the abolition of the Colonial Chaplaincy, and by doing away with this remnant of religious establishments to place all denominations on an equal footing, without any distinction either of honour or privilege. It was some years before the Committee and their supporters were successful in their endeavours. At length, however, they effected their purpose, and it is mainly due to their exertions that the various religious denominations in the colony now enjoy their perfect equality and freedom from State control. In 1841, in conjunction with Sir George Kingston and other gentlemen, Mr. Andrews was chosen by the Statistical Society to collect information with respect to the financial condition of the colony and its resources and prospects. About the year 1850 Mr. Andrews determined to devote himself to literary pursuits, and joined the staff of the South Australian newspaper. Subse quently he joined the staff of the Register, shortly after the death of Mr. John Stephens. After having been conducted for some time by Mr. John Taylor the Register was purchased in May, 1853, by several gentlemen, some of whom, including Mr. Andrews, were connected with the staff. From that date until the time of his death — a period of nearly 24 years — he took an active part in the management of this journal. During his career Mr. Andrews filled more than one important public office. In January, 1840, he was elected a member of the first City Council formed in Adelaide, and served for two years in that capacity. In 1864 he was made a Justice of the Peace, and in 1867 he was elected Mayor of Glenelg. In the discharge of the duties of the last named office he was the first person to welcome H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh on his arrival in the colony on October 30 of that year. Mr. Andrews took great interest from the first in the work of the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society, of which in 1860 he was elected President; and until his death he was one of the Vice-Presi dents. He was also for some time one of the Governors of the Botanic Gardens. Shortly after his arrival in the colony, he became a member of the
Masonic Order. He was initiated in the Lodge of Friendship in the year 1840, and for many years took much interest in the craft. Mr. Andrews was for a consider able time Master of the Lodge of Harmony, and on his retiring from the chair in 1853 he was presented with a handsome Past Master's jewel by the members of the Lodge. In 1848 he was appointed Secre tary of the Provincial Grand Lodge of the English Constitution, which office he filled until 1854. On resigning he was pre sented with a valuable gold watch and chain by the members of the Provincial Grand Lodge in recogni tion of his services. With his resig nation of the Grand Lodge Secretary ship Mr. Andrews's connection with the craft to a great extent ceased, his removal to Glenelg and the increasing pressure of business having prevented him from afterwards taking any active share in the business of the Order. He was also for many years a prominent member of the Society of Oddfellows. Mr. Andrews was twice married, and leaves a widow and a son and daughter, the children of his first wife. Mr. Andrews will be especially missed by those who were brought into contact with him in business or social relations. His uniform courtesy and kindly conside ration for others secured for him a feeling of widespread respect and esteem. From his long residence in the colony and the large circle of friends he had made, his death will create a gap which will be pain fully felt. His quiet unobtrusive manner disarmed opposition, and it has probably not fallen to the lot of many to make fewer enemies. In the office of this journal, where his voice and figure were so familiar, his death has caused a feeling of sadness that will not readily pass away, and it is with genuine respect and unaffected sorrow that all who have been associated with him pay their tribute to his memory.