Mr. William Peacock.— In the obituary notice of Mr. . William Peacock, who died on the 20th insi, we chronicle the decease of another member of the rapidly-thinning
rank of South Australian pioneers. Mr. Peacock arrived in the colony in the ship Glenalvon on December 28, 1838, the ship being chartered and freighted by him. Within three years of landing he identified himself with public matters by taking part in an important meeting, held in April, 1841, to consider the position of the province. In the following year he served in the City Council as Alderman and Councillor. The deceased always advocated the voluntary system in religion, and took an active part in meetings on the subject in 1846. In 1848 and the following year Mr. Peacock was associated with the movement for the introduc- tion of responsible government, and in 1851 was returned as member for Noarlunga, polling a majority of 42 votes over Major O'Halloran, who opposed him. Four years afterwards the same constituency re-elected, him as their representative, and he retained his posi- tion till the end of 1856. Not till 1861 did the deceased again appear in the poli- tical are, but in that year he took a seat in the Legislative Council. His retirement by effluxion of time was in 1869. As a politician deceased was decidedly Liberal. Mr. Peacock will be remembered in commercial circles as the founder and head of the well-known tanning and wool-scouring firm of W. Peacock & Son. He was also an extensive holder of real property, and a large shareholder, as well as at one time a Director, of the Burra Mines. In religious matters the deceased was long and favourably known, being at first a member of the Freeman street Congregational Church, now known at the Stow Memorial. Upon severing himself from that Church he built, at his own expense, the Ebenezer Chapel in Rundle-street, and promoted the formation of what is now the Hindmarsh square Congregational Church, in which he long held office as a Deacon. With this Church he remained identified with but a brief interval up to the time of his death. For some time Mr. Peacock has been in feeble health, especially during the last three months, and it was evident that his constitution was rapidly decaying, con- sequently his death on Tuesday, January 20, at about 7 o'clock, was not unexpected. Mr.
Peacock was in his 84th year, and retained con- sciousness up to nearly the close of his life. Of his children, one son, Mr. Caleb Peacock, J.P., for some time past the manager for the firm, with a daughter, Mrs. Weston, relict of the late Dr. Weston, of Victoria, alone survive him. He has also left a widow. On Thurs day afternoon, January 22, the remains of deceased were interred. A number of friends and relatives met at Palm-place, Hackney; and the cortege, which was headed by over 40 of the workmen in the employ of Messrs. Peacock & Son, and consisted of six mourning carriages and about fifteen other vehicles, pro ceeded to the West-terrace Cemetery. The service was conducted impressively by the Rev. F. W. Cox, and there was a large atten- dance of persons who desired to show their regard for one who had long resided in South Australia, and at one time taken a prominent part in public affairs. Among those who surrounded the grave there were noticed— Mr. Caleb Peacock, son of deceased; Messrs. James and Percy Dobson, grandsons; Messrs. J. Kirkpatrick, G. Scrymgour, J. Mann, Her- bert and James Evans, the Rev. H. Cheetham, Sir Henry Ayers, K.C.M.G., Captain Bickers, W. D. Allott, Mayor of Adelaide; Messrs. W. C. Buik, G. Scrymgour, sen., S. Whitmore, J. S. Symon, E. T. Smith, M.P., H. C. E. Muecke, E. B. W. Glandfield, W. Lewis, J. Paxton, W. Paxton, W. H. Burford, W. Burford, A. Dowie, H. H. Mildred, H. Bowen, G. W. Cotton, J. M. Stacy, E. Hodge, Jos. Mellor, G. Miller, G. R. Shadgett, and D. Fisher,