Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

No corrections yet


uur obituary records tno death of Mr. James Hamilton, long known as Manager of tho Eng lish and Australian Copper Company's smolting works at Kooringa, and subsequently at Port

Aaeiaiae. j»ir. Hamilton was an old colonist, having arrived frpm London on September 19, 1839, in the Recovery, the samo ship which brought Lieutenant (now Lieut. -General )Frome, long Surveyor-General of South Australia, Mr. Gordon, somo timo Inspoctor of Police, Mr. Henderson, and several other well-known colo nists. ^ Mr. Hamilton after a time entered into part nership with one of his fellow-passengors, and tho mercantile firm of Hamilton & Henderson will be remembered as having for several years carried on business near the spot where the Savings Bank now stands. He subsequently became connected with tho Company already mentioned, and two or three years ago ho paid a visit to England. Mr. Hamilton had been in rather delicate health for some time past, but no serious apprehen sions were entertained till within the lost week or two. During that time he suffered from bronchitis and heart disease, under which he finally sank about half-past 10 on Sunday morning, at the ago of 57, having boon attended by Drs. Gossoand Whitteli, and subsequently by Drs. Campbell and Mill*1.' Mr. Hamilton leaven a widow— daughter of Mr. D. Molville, late Seeretniy of the Chamber of Commerce— and ten children. Tho funeral procession started from Woodville about 1 p.m. on August 1, thcro being four mourning coaches, containing Mr. D. Melville, father-in-law of deceased; Captain Killicoat; Mr. E. Cook, Superintendent of the E. and A. Copper Company's Works, and the officers; Capt. Bickers; Capt. Quin, Harbour-Master, Port. Adelaide ; Captain Bagot, Messrs. E. K, Horn, R. B. Smith, Montcith, A. Hall, J. H. Parr, and Main; a large number of other friends ' also followed in privato vehicles. At North Adelaide the employes of tho Company, num bering about 43, joined in ; and service was conducted at Christchurch by Archdeacon Marryat. At the Cemetery there was a largo concourse of peoplo, many of whom had known Mr. Hamilton in tho early days of the colony. The fimegal arrangements wero carried out by Mr. Debney.