No corrections yet
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, FREMANTLE.
AN INTERESTING POSTCARD.
(Sec Illustrations page 34.)
With a view to he ping the re-roofing fund of St. John's Church, Fremantle, and stir- ring up interest in the effort, the Rev. Canon Moore secured some time ago an in
ieresting photograph of the original Fre- mantle church, and with the assistance of Mr. P. H. Anderson, stationer," of Freman- tle, has had this picture reproduced on a postcard in conjunction with the picture of the present church, and giving the dates on
which they were built, etc. The old church was comp'eted and opened for service on August 4, 1843. It stood for nearly 40 years in the middle of King's Square, al the top of High-street, the west door facing right down the street, at the other end of which etc od and still stands the "Round House." w'uch served as a "lock-up." The fence in th.- picture was of much later date, and .cr ;iosed ali that area now bounded by Wil
lir.m, Newman, Queen, and Adelaide streets. In the left hand corner of the pi-lure may be seen the present rectory, which stands in Cantonment-street. The li- otory was built for the Rev. Zachory B:\ rrv about 1855, and this photograph must
dato from the sixties, and was taken from a spot about where the present Federal Mote! stands to-day, the town hall site be- ing then vacant and enclosed as part of the church yard. It was owing to the tire- less energy of the late Archdeacon Wat- kins, who caine as a young man to Freman- tle at the end of the seventies, that the new church was built and consecrated in 1882- Mr- Watkins resolutely resisted every suggestion for enlarging the old church, and put all his efforts into the erec- tion of a new building, and posterity must applaud his determination. After the de- molition of the old church, High-street was contmued diagonally through "King's
Square" and a right of-way for the pur
pose together with the site for the pre- sent Town Hall was sold to the munici- pality on January 1, 1878, for £500. Thc rest of the block was afterwards sold in lots, bringing in ap- pa r e nt ly another £1,900 for the build- ing fund. The total cost of the church was close on £7,500, of which about £500 represented outside grants. Since ih
consecration 32 years ago ir.auv ad .'tics have been made to the fittings and furnish- ings. The organ, which was built hy Mr. Ceril Clifton, cost £600 30 years ago, aili only last year was re-buili by the firm of Messrs. J. A. Dodd, of Perth and Ade'aide. and fitted with a modern hydraulic blower
at i cost of £300. Prior to' that a bjauti
ful Caen stone Reredos was erected as « memorial to Archdeacon Watkins at a cost
of abctit £300. A little more than a year ago the family of the late W. D. Moore proM>nt::\ a ivassivo brass "eagle" lectern in mraci'v of their father, and a few months (ar'icr the trustees of the lat? Mr. John Thoma i put in a glass window in the north
transept. The east window is a magnificent work, the three main lights respectively de- picting "The Appearance in the Upper Room," "Stilling the Tempest," and "Christ and the Magdalen," and was erected many years ago in memory of Henry Maxwell Le- froy, 1879; Thomas Brown, 1863; and Dan- iel Scott, 1865. There is also a beautiful little window in the south transept, without .any inscription, and two others in the nave said to be transferred from the old church.
After thirty odd years, the rhingle roof has become completely worn out, and con- sidering the quality of the building the ves- try felt that they would not be justified in adopting any other than the best materia! for re-roofing, and, acting on advice, they have arranged to carry out. the work in best
Welsh slates. The contract for this work,
which has been arranged through Millars' Trading Corporation, will absorb consider- ably over £500, and it is expected that about £600 will be required to complete the work. Of this sum the greater portion has been aireadv subscribed, and the remainder isi arranged to spread over two years. When (he heavy claims of the two previous years in connection with the Rercdos and the organ are taken into account, it n.ust be admitted that the parishioners of St. John's have shown a very practical inter- est in their church's aiïairp. And it should be noted that, in addition, all the other finances of the church have been receiving particular attention, and the debts 'which
three years ago totalled upwards of £2,700 are now below £2,200, while upkeep, cur- rent expenses, and repairs have been kept well up to date. Nor is the strain likely to slacken for some little time, owing to
r'.ie fact that within the next few months a large sum, ranging between £300 and £500, will be required to sewer the properties in connection with the deep drainage fclieme.
From the foregoing it will be seen that t'ie rector and his vestry have before them a ta?k which calls for energy, skill, «nd tact, and it is gratifying to know that the con- gregation are in full sympathy with the ef- forts put forth and the arrangements de- viled for carrying on the work. The post
cards hore reproduced are being retailed at threepence each, and each one sold is reck- oned to equal the price of one slate on the new roof.
THE OLD ST. JOHN'S CHURCH. FREMANTLE.
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, FREMANTLE, AT, THE PRESENT
(See letterpress page 33.)
REV. CANON MOORE, RECTOR OF ST. JOHN'S CHURCH.