7 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections
DEATH OF MR. JOHN MOFFATT.
Leading Victorian Pastoralist.
Regret will be felt at the news of the death of Mr. John Moffatt, of Chatsworth House Estate, Chatsworth, which occurred early yesterday morning. Mr. Moffatt, who was one of the leading pastoralists in Victoria, had been in ill-health for about six months, and had just undergone an operation which had been considered successful. He was aged 71 years.
Members of the Moffatt family first came to Victoria in 1838. Mr. John Moffatt was a son of the late Mr. William Moffatt, who was proprietor of the Burnewang Estate, and he was a nephew of the late Mr. John Moffatt, the original proprietor of Hopkins Hill, Berrambool, Salt Creek, The Leigh, and Little River estates, and of Mr. Robert Moffatt, the original owner of the Ravenswood, Serpentine, Lake Bolak, and Wycheproof estates. He was born in 1854, at Shirva, Kirkintilloch, Scotland, and with his parents arrived in Victoria in February, 1872. He was educated at the High School, Glasgow, and the Geelong Grammer School. At Geelong he distinguished
himself in sport, winning the school cup for athletics in the year following his arrival. Among school fellows of Mr.
MR. JOHN MOFFATT.
Moffatt at Geelong Grammer at this time were the late Mr. Charles Fairbairn, Mr.
F. M. Douglass, and Mr. H. P. Douglass, of Geelong; the Hentys, and Mr. A. A. Austen and Mr. William Austin. When aged 19 years, Mr. Moffatt took over the management of the Burnewang Estate, near Bendigo. In 1879, he inherited Chatsworth House and the land surrounding it, and from the trustees of Mr. John Moffett's estate he leased Hopkins Hill, and other estates, subsequently buying the land which he required. Mr. Moffett took a leading part in municipal affairs, being a member of the council of the Shire of Mount Rouse and president of the shire for a number of years. He was a member of the Pastoralists' Association of the Australian Sheep-breeders' Association, and of the council of the Landowners' Association. In 1894 he married a daughter of Mr. S. McKenzie,
The Chatsworth Home Estate, owned by Mr. Moffatt, comprises 18,000 acres of fine pastoral land, watered by the Hopkins River, which runs through the property, and by tanks and wells. The sheep are all merinoes descending from the famous Tasmanian and Wanganella rams. The house was built about 1866, and is furnished in lavish style. When the Duke of Edinburgh visited Victoria in 1867 he stayed at Mr. Moffatt's home, and it is on record that he commented on the architectural beauty of the house, in which about 300 visitors were accommodated at the time.
Mr. Moffett was at one time keenly interested in racing, owning a number of horses, and also in coursing. He was a liberal supporter of the Presbyterian Church in his district. Mr. Moffett is survived by his wife and two daughters. One brother, Robert, died in Western Australia some years ago, and the other brother is Mr. W. Moffett, of the Burnewang Estate. Theie are also two sisters, Mrs. M. F. Clarke, of Melbourne, and Mrs. Val Willis of Sydney.
The funeral will leave the Toorak Presbyterian Church at 3 o'clock this afternoon, and the burial will take place at the Melbourne General Cemetery.