Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

7 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections

THE LATE MARTIN CASH. was a swag The celebrated bushranger, Martin   Cash, says the Mercury, died at his residence , Glenorchy on Sunday last. We       learn that Cash went to the Lord Rodney Hotel, New Wharf, on the evening of the 10th instant, and informed the landlord, Mr Samuel Weir, that in, consequence of   severe illness, he had applied for admis   sion into the General Hospital, but had   been refused. Mr Weir allowed him to remain at the hotel until the. following Monday, when he returned to his home   at Glenorchy. While at the Lord Rodney Hotel the deceased was attended by Dr.   Crouch. Mr Weir went out to Glenorchy   yesterday morning, when he learned that   Cash had expired on Sunday morning. It will be remembered that Cash in the year 1870 published in book from an account of his adventures from which we   glean the following particulars. He was born in the year 1810, in the town of Enniscorthy, Wexford, Ireland. Cash's career as a young man was, according, to     this own account, a series of events calcu lated to develop into the more serious phases of crime, and he was subsequently convicted, of, shooting a love rival named Jessop, for which offence he was sentenced     to seven years' penal servitude. Ater a brief incarcration in Cork gaol, Cash was sent with 170 other convicts by the ship; Marquis of Huntly to Botany Bay, New SouthWales. They arrived at Sydney   on February 10th, 1828, subquent to the assignment or hiring-out system, having' come into operation.   Cash was "assigned" to Mr G. Bowman,     of Richmond. He. subsequently made   his escape, and in 1837 came to Hobart Town. He was not long out of the hands   of the authorities of the law, and for the next few years he led a prison life which was ultimately broken by his escape from   Port Arthur in company with Jones and Kavanagh in December, 1842. After re maining at large for nearly twelve months, during which period he was at the head. of a band of bushrangers, and was the   terror of the whole colony, Cash was again captured, but not till after the most strenuous exertions were made to again lay hands on him, and a reward of 200 guineas (with a free pardon and a free passage from the colony, if required) was.   offered to any person who, would give in- formation that would lead to his capture. In September, 1843, he was tried and   convicted of murder and sentenced to death. He was, however afterwards re-     prieved and sent to Norfolk Island where he remained till that establishment was broken up, when he had the satisfaction of bidding adieu to what he terms that "Island of Despair" and returning to   Tasmania, Where he was appointed by the late Hon.' W. E. Nairn to take charge of the Government Gardens. On resigning   that situation he went to New Zealand for four years after which he retunred to Tasmania "and, he adds "Having saved a little money I purchsed a farm at Glenorchy where i resolved to pass the remainder of my days in the calm and   tranquil enjoyment' of rural retirement." Cash continued to devote himself to the farm- ing pursuits up till the time of his death