No corrections yet
NOMENCLATURE OF QUEENSLAND.— 164
KEPPEL BAY — A large bay pro tected by Curtis Island and the Keppel group. It was named on May 27, 1770, bv Captain Cook after
Admiral Keppel. The Fitzroy River empties into this bay. KEPPEL'S . ISLANDS.— A group ; of islets near Keppel Bay; named by Captain Cook in May, 1770. KIDSTON — A mining town in North Queensland, on the Copperfield ' River, about 30 miles from Eina sleigh; named by the Survey De partment- after Mr. William Kidston when ? he was Premier ' of Queeiib land. ' KILCOY — A -town 'on the Stanley River , The original Kilcoy station was taken up by Evan and Colin Mackenzie in 1842, and was named by them after Kilcoy in Scotland: The town was previously known' as Hopetown, after Captain Hope. KILKIVAN.— A town in the Wide Bay district, about 26 miles from Gym pic. The original station was taken up by J. D. Mactaggart in the early forties of last century, and named.by ..him after his father's property, at -. Kantirc in Scotland. ? (To be continued) . : '.