Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by jdickson2 - Show corrections



The Rev. John MacNeil, the well known evangelist, who has been con- ducting a series of services at the City Tabernacle, died with terrible sudden- ness yesterday. Shortly before noon Mr. MacNeil went to the shop of Mr. Webster, portmanteau manufacturer, George-street, in connection with some work, and had only been there a few minutes, speaking to Mr. Web- ster, when he dropped on to the floor, apparently dead. The Ambulance Brigade and Dr. Dixon were both sum- moned immediately, but on their arrival the body was found to be quite lifeless. The Ambulance Brigade handed the re- mains over to the police, who, pending other arrangements, had them removed to the morgue.

Mr. MacNeil was a vigorous, active man, in the prime of mature manhood, being between 45 and 50 years of age. He leaves a wife and five children at Sandringham, near Melbourne, and had a brother In West Australia. Mr. MacNeil was in West Australia last year, and was all through the Coolgardie district on his bicycle. Of the life history of the evangelist we have been able to gather but few particulars, and they have been kindly furnished by the Rev. W. Whale, of the City Tabernacle, and Mr. D. M'Nab, with the latter of whom Mr. MacNeil was a guest during his stay in this city. Mr. MacNeil first held a charge at Waverley, near Sydney, and afterwards at Melbourne, and was very well known at Ballarat. He went out as an evangelist in connection with the Presbyterian Church in Victoria, and in that capacity visited Queensland last year, conducting mission services in the Enoggera-terrace, Fortitude Valley, and other churches in and about Brisbane. Since his last year's visit Mr. MacNeil had resigned his connection with the Presbyterian Church of Victoria and de- voted himself to special mission work. Recently he has been through the Northern districts of Queensland carry- ing his message, and conducted mission services at the City Tabernacle on Sun- day morning, afternoon, and evening. Even yesterday and to-day were set apart for his work at the Tabernacle. Sunday next he was booked to preach at Bundaberg, on Monday at Chil- ders, and on Tuesday he was to have left Queensland by the mail train for his home.

Mr.MacNeil's death has naturally come as a great shock to his friends here, and the deepest sympathy is felt with his bereaved family. A telegram has been sent to a friend in Melbourne, so that the news may be broken as gently as possible to Mrs. MacNeil, and Bundaberg has also been advised of the break of the engage- ments of the evangelist for that district.


(By; Telegraph from our Correspondent.)

MELBOURNE,-August 27.

The news received to-day of the death 0t the Rev. John MacNeil, B.A., came as a great shock. The deceased gentle- man had many friends in Victoria.