Death Of Miss Marian Rees George
Miss Marian Rees George, who died on Saturday, was a sister of the late Miss Rees George,
Miss Marian Rees George,who died on Saturday was a sister of the late Miss Rees George,
the noted educa- tionist. Miss Marian Rees George lived in Childers street, North Adelaide, and was 83. With her sister she was associated first with the Advanced School for Girls, as French mis- tress, which posi- tion she also oc- cupied when this institution was amalgamated with the Adelaide High School.
Mr. Benjamin Baker, of Anzac High- way, Glenelg, died at his home yester- day. Mr. Baker had been an employe of the Glenelg Council for the past 20 years. At a meeting of the council last night it was decided to place on record the services of Mr. Baker. Mr. Bertram Fiander Clarke, 70 who died at his home, "The Horseshoe," Reedy Creek, on July 1, was the eldest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. David Clarke, of "Moorhouse." He was born near Clarendon, in 1868. At an early age he travelled overland with his parents to Kingston, where land was taken up. On the death of his father in 1894, he managed the Estate, and built his own home in 1902. He was married at Naracoorte to Miss Jessie Wilkins, who survives. There are two daughters—Mesdames J. G. Haggett, of Kingston, and W. W. Pinches, of Reedy Creek, and one small grand-daughter. Two brothers and three sisters survive —Messrs. R. C. F. Clarke, Kingston; D. H. Clarke, Reedy Creek; Mesdames Amos Clarke, Mount Gambier; M. E Kelly, Kingston; and Miss E. L. Clarke, Adelaide. For 30 years the deceased was a member of the Lacepede District Council. He was also local preacher and steward in the Methodist Church. Mr. Wm. Marcus, 85, who died on July 4, at Penola, was one of the dis- trict's oldest pioneers, and one of its most esteemed residents. In the early days, when bullock waggons were the only means of transport, Mr. Marcus contracted for the sleepers from Port- land for the laying of the South-East railway line. He held the positions of overseas of the S.E. Drainage Board and overseer and councillor in the Pen- ola District Council. He was a great lover of gardening, and was closely as- sociated with the Penola public park, of which he was a committee member. He was the first person to be made a life member of the Penola Racing Club. He took a great interest in topical af- fairs. He was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Marcus, and lived in Penola 84 years. He left a wife and 12 children, and 14 grandchildren. Mem- bers of the family are:—Mrs. A. Davis and Miss F. Marcus, Penola, Mrs. T. Dolling, Port Broughton, Mrs. D. Love- lock, Wirrulla, Messrs. George, Walla- roo, Bertram, Burra, Jack, Stan, Ollie, Percy, Clem and Laurie, Penola. Mr. George James Beames, 73, who died at Port Lincoln on July 15, after an illness extending over 12 months, lived in the district for about nine years. Previously he lived at Two Wells and Wild Horse Plains for more than 20 years, where he carried on the business of plumber and ironworker. He was particularly well known in these localities. In October, 1888, he married Clarica Pritchard, of Dublin, who survives with eight children. They are Mesdames L. Pederick (Two Wells), T. Martin (Port Lincoln), Misses Ilma and Milly Beames (Port Lincoln), Messrs. Hurtle (Naracoorte), Norman (Coulta), Henry and Ernest Beames (Port Lincoln). Mr. Beames was buried in the Happy Valley cemetery on Sunday. Mr. Arthur Alfred Schulz, 59, a well- known and highly respected resident of Booleroo Centre, died suddenly at his home, Booleroo Centre, recently. He was born at Tothill's Creek, being the third son of the late William and Emily Schulz. When he was quite young the family went to Booleroo Centre from Terowie. As a young man he was em- ployed by various storekeepers, and for the past 20 years had been in the em- ploy of Mr. F. J. Dennis. He was keenly interested in poultry, and was a mem- ber of the exhibitor at northern shows. He was twice married. His first wife was Ada Jane, daughter of the late Finlay and Jane McMartin, of Booleroo Centre, who died in 1907, leav- ing two daughters and a son. Later he married Agnes Maude, only daughter of the late William and Ellen Hennessy, of Booleroo Centre, who pre-deceased him. He left the following family:— May (Mrs. W. J. Wall, Orroroo), Myra, Alf, Betty, Dawn, and Billy, all of Boo- leroo Centre. Mr. Henry Ephraim Bates, 75, who died at his daughter's home, Dorothy street, Solomontown, was born at Marion. He went to Port Pirie in 1880, and was employed in fencing, clearing, and shearing in the pastoral and agri- cultural areas. He later was employed at the Smelters, but subsequently re- turned to country work. He retired 10 years ago. He was married in 1888, at Warnertown, to Miss Johanna Fitz- gerald, of Salisbury, who died 13 years ago. Two daughters and two sons are left—Mrs. M. Kenny and Mrs. W. Ox- ford (Solomontown) and Messrs. M. Bates (Port Pirie) and L. Bates (Whyalla).
Miss Marian Rees George