DEATH OF MR. A. P. BOWMAN
Member Of Old Pastoral Family
The death of Mr. Arthur Percy Bow- man (72), of Campbell House, Lake Albert, which occurred at Adelaide on Saturday, removes one of the most
widely known pastoralists in Austra lia. His brother, Mr. Keith D. Bow man, of Poltalloch Station, died a few weeks ago. The funeral left Adelaide yesterday morning, and the body was buried in the Meningie cemetery (105 miles away) in the afternoon. Mr. Bowman had been in indifferent health for some time. He was a son of the late Mr. William Bowman, a member of an old Cum berland family, who settled in Tas mania many years ago, and purchased Mount Vernon station property, not far from Hobart. He was one of four brothers, who traded as Bowman Brothers. When he came to South Australia, Mr. William Bowman purchased Crys tal Brook station. This property was one of the first to be resumed by the Government, and on the completion of
negotiations Mr. Bowman returned to Tasmania. The late Mr. A. P. Bow man. who was born at Crystal Brook, returned to Tasmania with his parents. On the death of his father Mr A. P Bowman became the owner of Mount Vemon station, which he conducted for some time, but afterwards he dis posed of it and purchased a pastoral holding in Gippsland. In 1902 he sold that property, and coming to South Australia, entered into partnership with his uncle, Mr T R Bowman, as owners of Camp=bell House station. Campbell House and Poltalloch sta tions were originally one, but on the death of Mr. T. R. Bowman, in 1911. the former property passed into the hands of Mr. A. P. Bowman. He has disposed of portions of it and it has become very reduced in size; the area is now about 10.000 acres, Mr. Bowman was widely known in racing circles. For the past 11 years he was a member of the committee of the Adelaide Racing Club. He was also actively associated with the Hunt and Racing Clubs at Murray Bridge, where he was an honorary steward for both. When the Murray Bridge club was formed Mr. Bowman provided the money for the Graziers' plate at the opening meeting. He was fond of jumpers, and for many years usually had a horse in training, He owned Murrangong (winner at the AJR.C. Grand National Steeplechase), and Katingawa and 22 years ago won the A. R.C. Birthday Cup with Coona- bar. Latterly he raced Tatiara. Out of respect for Mr. Bowman, jockeys riding at Cheltenham on Satur day wore crepe armbands. The late Mr. Bowman was of an ex ceedingly retiring disposition, and was very generous; but outside his pastoral business his principal interest was racing. He married Miss A. Johnson. who survives him. He has left one son. Mr. Alan Bowman, of Kanearilla. Mrs. Harold Bowman, of Tatiara is a daughter-in-law. He has two brothers—Mr. A. E. Bowman, of Be thanga Park. Wodonga Victoria: and Mr. William Bowman, a retired pas toralist, of Orange. New South Wales.
Mr. A. P. Bowman