1 correction by anonymous - Show corrections
London, March 17.
The death is announced of Mr.
Justice Kay, in his seventy-fifth year.
[The Hon. Sir Edward Ebenezer Kay, Lord Justice of Appeal, was born July 2, 1822, at Meadowcroft, near Rochdale, being a son of Mr. Robert Kay. He was a brother of the late Sir James Kay-Shuttleworth, Bart., Secretary of the Committee of Council on Education, and of the late Mr. Joseph Kay, Q.C., Judge of the Manchester and Salford Palatine Court. He was educated at Trinity College. Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1844, and M.A. in 1847. Haring resolved to adopt the legal pro- fession, he read in the chambers of the late
Mr. George Lake Russell, and was called to the Bar at Lincoln's Inn in Trinity term, 1847. He became authorised reporter in the Court of Lord Hatherley, then Vice- Chancellor Wood, and published "Kay's Reports" and a part of "Kay and Johnson's Reports." He obtained the honour of a silk gown in 1866, and practised as a Queen's Counsel in the court presided over successively by Vice-Chancellor Wood, Vice-Chancellor Giffard, Vice-Chancellor James, and Vice-Chancellor Bacon. In April, 1878, he relinquished the leadership of that court, and confined his practice thenceforward to the House of Lords and special business. He was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court, March 30, 1881, on the resignation of Vice-Chancellor (afterwards Sir Richard) Malins, and shortly afterwards he was knighted by the Queen at Windsor. He succeeded Sir H. Cotton as a Lord Justice of Appeal, No- vember 11, 1890. Sir E. E. Kay was a magistrate for Norfolk, in which county he owned the estate of Thorpe Abbotts, near Scole. He married, in 1850, Miss Mary Valence French, daughter of the late Rev.
William French, D.D., Master of Jesus College, Cambridge, and Canon of Ely; and was left a widower in 1889.]