Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by doug.butler - Show corrections


The following is a comparative statement of the transactions in the Lands Titles Office for the month of April in the years 1863 and 1864:—

April years 1863. 1861. Applications 87 111 Transfers ?3 158 Mortgages 67 87 Leases 27 28 Transfer mortgage... ... 1 1 Discbarges... ... ... 20 63 Powers of Attorney ... 1 6 Caveats ... *. 3 3 Transfer of lease 1 0 Surrender do 1 3 Licences 1 2 Transmissions ... ... 2 9 Withdrawal of Caveat ... 1 0 Order of foreclosure ... 0 1 Total transactions ... 285 462 Fees of Office £329 4s. 6d. £542 6s. 6d- Value of land brought under Act £39,568 £78,628 Samuel Joseph Stuckey, charged with shooting Pompey, an aborigine, at Umberatana, on the Bth of January last, has been fully acquitted, after a careful investigation of the case at the Police Court, Ade* laide.

The Post, a Melbourne illustrated paper, lias a capital likeness of Mr. B. T. Finniss, engraved from a photograph taken some years ago by Professor HalL The same paper gives the following account of Mr. Finniss's public services:—ln April, 1825, be was studying the military profession at the Royal Mili tary College, Sandhurst, when the Commander-in chief, having been pleased to direct that a certain number of gentlemen cadets, distinguished for good conduct and superior diligence in study, should be recommended for commissions, he was selected by Lieutenant-General Sir Alexander Hope to receive this extraordinary mark of His Royal Highness'e appro bation, and was gazetted accordingly to an ensigney in the 88th Regiment Being transferred to the 56th Regisne?t on the 12th May of the same year, at his own request, he became lieutenant by purchase on the 29th March, 1827, exchanged into the 82nd Regi ment on the 21st June of the same year, and sold out of the army on the 24th October, 1835, to settle in South Australia. Whilst in the 82nd Regiment; he was employed for three years at the Mauritius in the department of Roads and Bridges, under Colonel Staveley, C.8., D.Q.G., now General Commanding in China. He left the island, strongly recommended by Colonel Staveley to Sir Willoughby Gordon, the Quartermaster-General; and a plan of Mauritius, prepared by him from official documents, and added to by his own surveys, was thought highly of by Sir Willoughby Gordon, and forwarded to Sandhurst as a study for the gentlemen cadete. Mr. Finniss, afterquit ting the army, joined the surveying staff as one of the assistants under Colonel Light (first Surveyor-General of South Australia.) On the 21st of August he be came Deputy Surveyor-General, and on the 15th of November, 1841, in consequence of the insufficiency of the colonial revenua, he was reduced by Governor Grey, with strong expressions of regret, and promise of early employment. In September, 1842, he was employed as draughtsman in the Survey office ; and on the 13th April, 1843, was appointed Commissioner of Police and Police Magistrate. On the Ist May, 1847, Mr. Finniss was promoted to the superior post of Treasurer and Registrar-General, and became one of the nominee members of the Legislative Council, from which he rose to be Colonial Secretary, and member of the Executive Council in 1849. In 1854 he received a commission as Lieut.-Colonel on the staff of the Volanteer Force; and on the departure of Sir Henry Young, in December of that year, Mr. Finniss became Acting Lieut.-Governor of the colony of South Australia, which post he held until the arrival of Sir Richard MacDonnell on the 7th June, 1855, when he resumed the office of Co lonial Secretary. On the establishment of Responsible Government, with the new Constitution, Mr. Finniss was appointed the first Chief Secretary, and had the honor of being elected to a seat in the Crst House of Assembly by the citizens of Adelaide. On the 2lst August, 1857, he resigned with therest of the Ministry; but again accepted office as Trea surer in another Ministry in June, 1858, resigning on the 9th May, 1860. In addition to these services, Mr. Finniss (when war was imminent in 1859) joined a company of volunteers, of which he was appointed captain; and he was subsequently made Lieut.- Colonel of tlie Adelaide Volunteer Begiment at a time when the whole force numbered 2,000 volun teers. Finally, in July, 1863, Mr. Finniss resigned from the Volunteer Force, on the appointment of Captain Biggs, an officer of junior rank, to be Colonel commanding the volunteers. During bis legislative career, Mr. Finnis? took a leading and prominent part

in passing, amongst many other Acts, the following important measures, viz.:—The Act Incorporating the City of Adelaide; the Volunteer end Militia Acts; the Act establishing the Railway system ; the Act for introducing a Supply of Fresh Water to the City of Adelaide; and the Constitution Act Mr. Finnish's appointment is considered " a wise one." The salary attached to the office is £1,000 a year.

A meeting of the Albert Bells Committee was held st the City Conncil Chamber, King William-street, on Friday afternoon, May 20. There were present His Worship the Mayor (in the Chair), Messrs. English, Mellor, Culley, Ferryman, Bundey, Wright, and W. A- Hughes (the Secretary). The Secretary reported that since the last meeting he had received £34, being the proceeds of the entertainment given by the Lancashire Bellringers, and £20 103. from the South Australian Histrionic Society on account of their theatrical performance, which realized £25 Is. net; the balance would be forwarded as aoon as received. He also mentioned that Mr. Delano had handed him £5 3s., being the amount left in his hands on account of the fund for raising a peal of bells at Christ Church ; the other Churches had not yet communicated with him, though it was understood they were favourable to the handing over the money to the Albert fund. A vote of thanks was accorded to Mr. Delano for his prompt action in the matter. The Secretary then read a letter he had received by the last mail from Mr. G-. S. Walters, the Agent- General, acknowledging the receipt of Mr. Hughes'a letter, and stating that as he (Mr. Hughes) had ap plied to the manufacturers they would prefer dealing with the Adelaide Committee direct than with him. He added, however, the following information: —" Cast steel bells are best made abroad, and could there be obtained cheaper than here, because Messrs. Naylor, Vicker, & Co. have exclusive use of the patent for England. These bells are mostly nsed for steamers, railways, &c For a peal the preference would be given to bell metal, on account of the greater musical tone. The difference in weight is not great, and the difference in price varies, of course, according to the state of the copper and metal market. At present a peal of eight bells, note E, tenor, about IS cwt., would cOBt in metal about £500, as against £300 or £350 in steel. Elm stocks, pullies, and ropes, wheels, stay?, &c, £65 to £70, and frame in two tiers, which would distribute the weight, £99 to £100. Chiming apparatus, if required, would be £45 to £50 complete. Competent persons to superintend the erection could be sent out, expenses each way being paid, and, of course, such men would expect a slight advance in their wages here. With respect to a subscription, I have not had time as yet to give it a fair consideration; but as soon as my engagements, which are at the present moment very pressing, give me the opportu nity, I will give my attention to it, and have the pleasure of addressing you another letter." A letter was alao read from Mr. David Gall, enclosing a com munication he had received from his brother, giving some statistics respecting the peal of bells and the bell tower at Wbodbridge, Suffolk. Some interesting intelligence was conveyed in the letter. A communi cation was read from Messrs. John Warner & Sons, London, containing the subjoined particulars respect ing the cost of a peal of eight bells that would hang in two tiers in a chamber 11 feet 6 inches octagon— the size of the Adelaide Town Hall bell-chamber:— " We should recommend you to allow as to send an oak frame, which we should fit together, and so make that no difficulty would be found in refitting its parts. The upper tier would throw all its weight on the lower frame. We would also call your attention to our chiming apparatus, as a useful adjunct in case there should be a difficulty in finding ringers. We have fitted them up in this country, are now sending one with a peal to Calcutta, and the one we had at the Exhibition was bought with the bells for the Cathedral at Auckland, New Zealand. The price we quote, viz^ £7 7s. per cwt. is the market price of to day ; but as there are frequent changes in the copper market, we cannot guarantee this price should you favour us with the order in a few months' time, but the oraer would be booked at the market price of the day on which the order is received. The terms on which we do all foreign basiness is that the amount of estimate should accompany the order, or that in structions should be sent to an English merchant to settle our account on receipt of the bills of lading." The following are the estimates given in the letter— " Estimate for a peal ofjeight bells, tenor, about 15 cwt., note F, weight of the whole peal about 68 cwt., £499 16s.; eight elm stocks, gun-metal bearings, whaels, stays, sliders, pulleys, and ropes, £€6 4s. ; strong English oak frame for 8 in., 2 tiers, £90— total, £656. A chiming apparatus, with spring hammers, cranks, wires, &c., complete for eight bells, £45. The packing, shipping, expenses, insu rance, and freight to Adelaide of bells, fittings, and frame about £60. Grand total, £6/1. Drawings for the frame, if not made here, £2 2s. Terms—net cash." Catalogues of prices, &c, were also received from Messrs*. Naylor, Vickera, and Co., as to the cost of the cast-steel bells which they manufactured. Some more subscription lists were handed in, and from them it appeared that the amount at present raised in aid of the movement is upwards of £350. On the motion of Mr. T. English, seconded by Mr. Culley, it was resolved that the bells to be used should be made of bronze metal, and that all the other details be left to the next meeting. It was expected another meeting would be held in about s month, when some more information on the subject is anticipated from England. The Secretary was directed to request the collectors to report progress at the adjourned meeting. The meeting then closed.

A meeting of the City Rifle Club was beld on Saturday on the South Park Lands, the sum of £10 being set apart for prizes to be fired for on that day. The distances were 200, 300, 500, and 600 yards; seven rounds at each distance. The prizes—£l for the highest score at 200 yards, £110s. at 300 yards, £2 at 500 yards, £2 10s. at 600 yards, and £3 for the highest aggregate score at all ranges. The weather was threatening, which had a bad effect upon the attendance. The members present were Messrs. Addison, Ayers, Boothby, Ferguson, Letchford, Bymill, Spence, Turner, Williams, and the President (Mr. Barrow, who did not fire). The prize at 200 yards fell to the lot of Mr. Turner, with 20 marks; the 300 yards to Mr. Addison, with 22 marks; the 500 yards to Mr. Bymill, with 25 marks; the 600 to Mr. Ayers, with 25 marks; and the aggregate prize to Mr. Ferguson, with 96 marks. The distance prizes were not m every instance taken by the person making the highest score at that range; for example, although Mr. Turner took the prize at 200 yards with & score of 20 marks, Mr. Ferguson scored 22, and Mr. Ayers 25; but these gentlemen were elected to take the prizes to which they were entitled. The best aggregate scores of the afternoon were, Ferguson 96, Bymill 92, Ayers 87, Addison 84, and Turner 79.

The last or champion meeting of the season of the Adelaide Archery Club, took place on the College grounds on Saturday, May 14. The papers of Saturday stated that it had been post poned to the following week; but the morning opening so fine, and promising to remain 80 through out the day, it was deemed advisable to proceed with the matches, the weather being bo uncertain at this time of the year. Accordingly messages were despatched to the competitors, informing them of the determination which bad been arrived at; and, with one or two exceptions, they were all present to engage in the friendly contests. The weather, though damp, held up fine for the greater part of the afternoon, only one brief shower occurring to interrupt the shooting. His Excellency the Goremor was prevented from at tending, but Lady Daly and the Misses Daly were present, as also was Mr. Dominick Daly. Luncheon was provided, the arrangements connected therewith being superintended by Mr. Milton, junr. Schrader's band was likewise in attendance during the afternoon, and played with their accustomed skill several en livening airs. The prizes offered were very handsome, and included an exceedingly chaste gold bracelet, offered for competition by His Excellency Sir Dominick Daly. The terms under which it was to be ehot for were kept a secret, so that it might create the greater interest and amusement among the competitors. Shooting was kept up with much spirit till about quarter-past 5 o'clock, and after the scores had been reckoned up the guerdons were presented to their several winners by Her Ex cellency Lady Daly. The champion's prize—a pair of choice lustres and rases—or the highest score of the day, was gained by Miss Young, who has on three precedings occasions carried away the same prize. She scored 270 points. She had aIBO made the greatest score of the season, 1,109, but of these she lost 519, which reduced her number to 590. Miss Caroline Daly's score was 704, of which she lo9t 46, thus making her score 658, which being the highest, she was awarded the prize for the greatest score of the season. Among the gentlemen, the Hon. Gh Hall carried off the first prize for the highest score of the season, having made 969 points, less 436 which he lo?t, bringing the number down to 533. Mr. W. S. M. Hutton took the second prize with 641 points, of which he lost 384. thus reducing them to 257. Miss M. Hart, with a scsre of 62, won the prize offered for the highest eeore made by a compe titor who had never won before. Hia Excellency's prize, which was given to the second best scorer, un weighted, not being a winner, was obtained by Mrs. Hall, with a score of 169. The Hon. G. Hall, on receiving his prize, said he hardly liked to take it, for there had scarcely been any competition against him. He would rather return it and have it contested for at some future time, when he hoped more gentlemen would be induced to enter the lists with him. Mr. Wildman considered Mr. Hall ought to take the prize; if gentlemen did not like to compete for the prize it was their own fault. Lady Daly informed Mr. Hall that she certainly could not take anything back which she had given, and upon this Mr. Hall said he would keep the prize. Cheers were then given for Lady Daly, the President of the Club, and for the champion of the meeting} after which the pro*,

ceedings in connection with the Club terminated til September next. At a meeting of the Advertiser and Chronicle Com pany, held at their offices on Wednesday, May 18, the Hon. John H. Barrow (Chairman) moved a resolution, to the effect that it was desirable to effect a dissolu tion of the Company, but so as not to necessitate any stoppage in the publication of the papers. The Chair man referred to the difficulties attendant upon con ducting newspapers under the Limited Liability Act, and subject to the restrictions and conditions of a deed of settlement, and expressed his opinion that the papers might be more advantageously carried on by a private proprietary. Speaking as a shareholder, holding a large interest in the capital stock of the Company, he was decidedly in favor of dissolving the Company and realising the estate. The estate wai perfectly solvent, and his resolution would contain a declaration that the dissolution of the Company was not an act of insolvency. The deed of settlement re quired that a resolution for winding-np the Company should be supported by two-thirds of the total number of shareholders, also representing two-thirds of the total number of eharea. This would require the attendance of about 74 shareholders, either personally or by proxy, end about 287 shares. He then moved the adoption of the resolution above referred to, which was put and carried. Messrs. R. G. Bowen, and C. EL Goode were appointed scrutineers to examine the proxies, and to check the liet of voters. The result was 27 persons present, representing 166 shares, and 50 proxies, representing 181 shares ; total, 77 persons and 347 shares. The Chairman then de dared the resolution carried, and intimated that a second meeting (of which doe notice should be given) would be necessary for the confirmation of the deci sion just arrived at before any further steps could be taken.

We regret to hear that Mr. Joel Horwood, of the firm of Messrs. Horwood & Sons, ironfonnders, died on Wednesday morning, at his residence, Hindley street. The deceased for the last eighteen months has been suffering from a complication of diseases, but chiefly from jaundice, and some time ago he paid a visit to Victoria, thinking it might recruit his health. The change seemed to benefit him for awhile, but he never recovered sufficiently to engage in business again. Dr. Bayer has been attending him, and he certifies that chronic disease of the liver was the im mediate cause of death. Mr. Horwood arrived in the colony in the ship Baboo in December, 1848. He started business in Hindley-street, where he has re- mained ever since. By uprightness and Christian integrity he not only secured a large trade in the colony, but a few years ago he established a flourishing branch at Bendigo, Victoria, which is now managed by his eldest son. He never mingled much in public matters, although be held strong views on politics subjects. Between two and three years ago he was elected one of the Councillors of the Municipal Cor poration, and having filled that position with much honesty and straightforwardness, his friends wished him to continue his public duties, but failing health and aversion to notoriety led him to decline to offer himself for re-election. The deceased has been a member of Freeman-street Chapel for many years, and was also a member of one of the Friendly Societies. In all the relations of life which he filled he never failed to secure respect and esteem. In his duty as a parent—in his duty as an employer—in his duty as a citizen—he was always guided by firm Christian principles, which will be remembered for a long time to come. The funeral of the late Mr. Joel Horwood took place on Friday afternoon in the West-terrace Ceme tery. The procession consisted of about 25 vehicles. The first mourning coach contained Messrs. T. Horwood (son of the deceased), D. Kentish and W. B. Carter (sons-in-law of the deceased), and the Rev. C. W. Evan, and the second coach Mesers. J. Kentish, H. Kentish, James Smith, and T. Young. In other vehicles were also noticed Messrs. E. B. W. Glandfield, M. Goode, R. G. Bowen, B. Cox, F. W. Thomas, J. Miller, A. Milne, &c. The Odd fellows of the Hope Lodge preceded the hearse, and the employees of the deceased to the number of 30 immediately followed, all wearing silk hatbands. The Rev. C. W. Evan officiated at the grave, and delivered a suitable address. N.G. Jarvis also gave the funeral   oration of the Hope Lodge. The funeral arrange ments were entrusted to Mr. James Conigrave, under taker.

The schooner Yatala sailed from the Lightship on Wednesday at noon. Previous to her departure the guns ebe carrried were tested, and found to be in most perfect repair. The vessel generally is in very perfect order ; and we may, therefore, hope that she will hare a speedy and prosperous voyage. On Wednesday, May 18th, at 20 minutes patt 9 o'clock, tbe citizens of Adelaide, not of the military order, were unexpectedly startled by the sudden report of one of the field-pieces on North-terrace, succeeded, at short intervale, by two other discharges, which caused the people in every street to run out from their houses with the words "whatfa up now?" on every lip; but presently the cause of the sadden burst of these warlike sounds became known by McCnllagh's harrying through the centre of the town at a double quick pace, and blowing the " As semblee," from a thrilling bugle. It was then under stood that the volunteers were called upon to as semble at the Gun-ehed for their first night's master. Although it was understood by the Vo lunteers that such an event would shortly take place, only the officers who had the arrangement of the afiair previously knew of the evening or tie hour at which they would be called upon; the object, of course, being to accustom the men to any sudden surprise, which no doubt would be the case should they ever have to confront aa invading foe. As soon as the sound of the bugle was heard, indivi dual volunteers were seen running in double quick time from all parts of the town towards the rendezvous, and a large number of civilians, with scores of females, hastened to the same place. Several of the volun teers were on the ground within nine minutes after the discharge of the first gun, and in about twenty minutes the major part of the force had arrived, when a reconnoitering party of 20 men was at once told off, and despatched to the western extremity of the town. On their return they rejoined the main body—then increased to about 130 men. His Excellency the Governor was on the ground, as also the Chief Secre tary, Inspector Hamilton, and Inspector Peterswald and a portion of the foot police, who kept the ground. Colonel Biggs was in command of the men, and liieut.-Colonel Mayo and Major Sellar were also pre sent. The men were then put through the principal evolutions, which were accomplished with admirable readiness and precision. Most of the Regimental Band were also in attendance, and their music, with the brilliant moonlight, and the ground being covered by hundreds of the citizens, imparted quite an animated air to the scene. The Seedbeds Cavalry did not arrive till after His Excellency had ieft, from the circumstance that their place of rendezvous had been fixed at Mile End, and where they remained for some time before starting for town. His Excellency, after the men had completed their evolutions, and formed into an open square, walked into the centre and addressed to them some complimentary remarks upon the occasion. He said it was most gratifying to him, that evening being the first occasion on which they had been called out without any previous notice, to see them attend to the call with such alacrity. It was most creditable and honorable to them; but it only confirmed him in the good opinion which hs had always entertained of the volunteers, and showed that they were desirous to perfect themselves in all the duties necessary to their complete efficiency; and what they had done that night was an important practice to accustom themselves to } because, although it was to be hoped that no enemy would ever arrive on these ihore?, if such should un fortunateSy happen, and & sudden attack should be made, the most effective check that could be made to an enemy would be to find the volunteers on the alert and on their guard. His Excellency concluded by repeating the great pleasure he felt to find them so proficient in their duties as he found them on that occasion. Three cheers were then given for His Excellency by the Volunteers and tbe citizens assembled on the ground, the band striking up the National Anthem; after which the men were dismissed. The firet who arrived on the ground were Messrs. Goldsack, Logan, and Cunningham, of the First Adelaide Rifles, and W. It. Finnifis, of the Adelaide Rifles' who arrived within 9 minutes after the first gun was fired, and the other members of the force arrived in quick succession afterwards. The follow ing is a list of the names of the Volunteers who attended: — The letters after each name represent the several companies. Ist A, Adelaide Rifles ; A., Adelaide Rifles ; W.A^ West Adelaide Rules; C, City Rifles s E.S., Eastern Suburban Rifles; A.A., Adelaide Artillery; P., Port Rifles ; 8., Band; R.C., Reedbeds Cavalry; and F., Free Rifles. Wm. Finniss, A.; S. Goldsack, Ist A..; R. Logan, let A.; Cunningham, Ist A. j Baker, C; Brown, Ist A.; Sergeant Austin, W.A. ; Ayers, A. ; Grosser, W.A.; BUnman, C.; A. Schmidt, B.; Ser geant Darting, A.A.; Skelton, A.A.; Corporal Tom kinson, A.; Davys, A.; J. A. Northmore, C.; Ser geant Moore, W.A.; Wm. Shierlaw, W.A. 5 R. W. Read, W.A.; Lieutenant Moody, Ist A.; J. Gray, jun., Ist A.; Corporal Gray, Ist A.; J. Mann, A. ;*F. Rymill, A.; R. Blunt, C.; Russell, Ist A.; G. Vincent, B.; Lieutenant Cooper, A.A.; Strapps, W.A.; E. Benda, Ist A.; Titt, A.; H. A. Moore, W.A.; W. L. Dobson, A.A.; Pearson, W.A.; Pine, W.A.; Perryman, E.S.; Waghorn, W.A.; SorrelL, A.A.; W. Fiveasli, A.; Sergeant Firnhaber, A.A.; W. H. Ross, Ist A.; W. Shoobridge, Ist A.; Mat thews, A.; Bates, W.A.; T. W. Bee, A.; T. Chambers, C.; Heydecke, B.; Potter, W.A.; Capt. Shawyer, C-, Bagshaw, C.; Sims, W.A.; Captain Addison, P.; Corporal Perry, A.A: Anderson, E.S.; Rowland, A.; H. Strother, F.; W. Wadham, F. 5 Solomon, AjL; Bending, W,A.; Wilson, W.A. j

f Huka, W.A.; F. B. Addison, A.; Fl-t.-..--. B ; Lieutenant Kingston, 1st A.; J. B. Cud ,. ; W. D. Colley, C.; Hammond, 1st A.; J. Ljour, \V. A ; J. Shieriaw, W.A.; Sergeant Biggs, A-A..; Sergeant Applin, A.A.; Sergeant Lawrence, A.A.; Waite, 1st A.; Lieutenant Matthews, A.A.; Corporal Morris, B-; Smith, A-; Major Sellar, E.S.: J. D. Bebee, C; Harris, A.; Sellar, E.S.; Corporal Statues, E.S. ; Starnes, E.S. ; Captain Lower, 1st A.; Hall, W.A.; BallingaU, 1st A.; Tasker, E.S.; Sergeant-Major Acraman, E.S.; Truan, W.A.; Captain Blackham, A. A.; S. Solomon, 1st A.; Price, 1st A.; Tharston, W.A. 5 Hazell, A.A.; S. H. ShoU, A.A.: J. Wells, E.S.; Sergeant Claxton, A.A,; Lieutenant Weir, E.S.; Halls, C.; Heanes, C.; Hambidge, C.; Bugler Oirdler, E.S.; Jackson, C.; H. Iiinde, C.; Lieutenant Blyth, A.; Smyth, lstA.;B. S. Benham, A.; S. Kay, A.; Girdler, 1st A.; Tnubridge, W.A.; Hicks, ju_, W.A.; Sansosi, E.S.; Cox, A. A.; B. J. Scott, lat A., ?Veterinary Surgeon Chalwin, B.C.; Andrews, E.S.; Smith, E.S.; Lieutenant Harrold,B.C.; Farrier Major Bo we, B.C.; J. Pearson, B.C.; J.Hemmingway, B.C.; W. Hemmingway, B.C.; D. Norman, B.C.; D. Fox, B.C.; C. White. B.C.; S. White, B.C.; Sergeant-Major Beck, B.C.-, Marchant, B.C. -, Ser geant Carlin, 1st A.'; Hagedorn, A.A.; B. Solomon Smith, Lieutenant Slater, Sergeant Hill, C.