MR. M. MACDERMOTT.
An old soldier and veteran colonist, who has occupied prominent positions in South Aus- tralia, has passed away to the great majority. We refer to Mr. Marshall Macdermott, J.P.,
who, early on Saturday morning, died at his residence, Hutt-street, at the advanced age of 86. The deceased gentleman entered the British army in the year 1808, as an officer in the 8th Regiment of Foot, and during the same year saw active service in the West Indies, when the British forces captured the Island of Martinique, after several days' fighting in the field and six weeks siege of Fort Bourbon. After this Mr. Macdormott saw some severe work during the war between England and the United States ; and in 1812, on the frontier of the State of New York was dangerously wounded in the neck, the gullet being divided. In the winter of 1814-15 he was the bearer of a despatch from Montreal to Upper Canada, announcing the termination of hostilities. His regiment was ordered to return to Europe to join in the conflict with Napoleon, after the Emperor's escape from Elba. Ten thousand troops embarked at Quebec on this service, but on the convoy reaching the English Channel, they learned that the battle of Waterloo had been fought and won seven days previously. After this Mr. Macdermott served in the United Kingdom and the Mediterranean, and found time for a tour through France, Switeerland,and Italy. At Argostoli, in the island of Cephalonia, he became acquainted with Lord Byron, who en- trusted him with the three last cantos of Don Juan, to be delivered to Sir John Cam Hob- house, a commission which Mr. Macdermott executed, having just then obtained leave of absence in order to visit England. Subse- quently he was with his regiment in various parts of the United Kingdom till the year 1829, when he resolved to sell out of the army and emigrate to Australia. In the following year he, with several other officers who had sold their commissions, emigrated to Western Australia, and Mr. Macdermott settled as an agriculturist on the Swan River, where he purchased 5,000 acres, having also the right to select a large block of over 20,000 acres, according to the regulations, on account of property and servants be introduced into the colony. The first Bank at Swan River was started through Mr. Macdermott's sugges- tion and exertions, backed up by colonists of influence and means, and he was appointed Manager. Five years afterwards the Bank of Australasia proposed to amalgamate with the local institution, and this being agreed to sent a Manager from London, who died before the Bank was opened, and Mr. Macdermott was made Manager of the new Bank. Five years later the Australasian Bank resolved to close their branch at Perth, and offered Mr. Macdermott the Managership of that at Ade- laide, which he accepted. On leaving Swan River he received a flattering address, signed by all the members of the Execu- tive Council, the Magistrates, clergy, and many others. Just before leaving England for Western Australia he married, and all his chil- dren were born in that colony. In Adelaide, under his management, the Australasian Bank secured a large share of the business. With Mr. Tinline he supported the Bullion Act, which at a critical time saved the colony from serious embarrassment. Soon afterwards his connec- tion with the Bank ceased, and he entered into general commercial business, in which he was not successful. In the year 1855 he offered himself as a candidate to represent the Noar- lunga District, in the old mixed Council, com- posed of two-thirds elected members, and one- third nominees, but was defeated, and ac- cepted a nomineeship. He was soon after ap- pointed Chairman of Committees. The first Parliament under the present system of responsible Government was elected in 1857, and the subject of this notice was returned by
the District of Flinders. For a short time he was Commissioner of Crown Lands in the Torrens Ministry, which had a brief existence. In 1859 he was appointed a Special Magistrate, and presided at the Willunga and Morphett Vale Courts, till removed to the North, where he administered justice in the Local Courts of Redruth, Clare, Auburn, and Riverton. After 10 years' service as a Stipendiary Magistrate Mr. Macdennott retired, and received, on relinquishing his post, two gratifying addresses, one from the members of the bar practising in the Northern Courts, and the other from all the Magistrates and numerous other residents of the district. Mr. Macdermott al- ways took a very warm interest in religious mat- ters, particularly in connection with the Church of England, of which he was a member. His long and honorable life was varied and event- ful, and in compliance with the wishes of some members of his family, he three years ago drew up a condensed account of his career, which was printed exclusively for the use of his relatives and friends. We have been favored with a perusal of this "sketch," and are in- debted to it for some of the facts here recorded. Mr. Macdermott leaves a widow and three daughters to mourn their loss. The eldest daughter was the wife of the late Mr. Francis Dutton, C.M.G., Agent-General, and died many years ago. Mr. Tomkinson and Mr. Justice Stow are sons-in-law of the deceased gentleman, and the youngest daughter was the wife of the late Mr. John Taylor, and is now married to a clergyman in England. Mr. Macdermott's only son died in 1865. The remains of the late Mr. Macdermott were interred in the North-road Cemetery on Monday afternoon November 5. The funeral procession left the late residence of the deceased at 3 o'clock, and reached Christ- church, North Adelaide, shortly before 4 o'clock. At the church a short but impressive service was conducted by Archdeacon Marryat, His Lordship the Bishop, and several members of the English clergy being present. The pro- cession, which consisted of about a dozen car- riages, was then reformed and proceeded to the cemetery. The service at the grave was conducted by His Lordship the Bishop and the Rev. Mr. Poole, of St. John's Church. There were present Sir Henry Ayers, K.C.M.G., the Dean of Adelaide (the Rev. A. R. Russell), Archdeacon Marryat, His Honor Mr. Justice Stow, and Mr. S. Tomkinson (son-in-law of the deceased), Messrs. Jefferson, P. Stow, J.P., Augustine Stow (Judges' Associate), R. D. Ross, M.P., J.C.Bray, M.P., J. Williams, M.P., the Revs. Canon Farr, Jas. Pollitt, and R. Reid, Dr. Moore, Messrs. G. W. Hitchin (Auditor- General), W. B. T. Andrews (Registrar-Gene- ral), H. J. Andrews (Secretary to the Commis- sioner of Crown Lands), F. J. Sanderson (Sec- retary to the Attomey-General), G. W. Hawkes, S.M., T. Giles, J.P., W. S. Douglas, J.P., M. Goode, J.P., H. T. Morris, J.P., Geo. Young, J. M. Stacy, J.P., C. B. Hardy, W. Hartley, P. Stow, and Moore. The deceased was one of the Governors of St. Peter's Collegiate School, and several of the gentlemen mentioned above attended to pay the last mark of respect to a fellow-worker on the Board of that institution.