Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

No corrections yet

PERSONAL. A telegram from Adelaide states that the reappearance of the Chief Justice (Sir Samuel Way) on the Bench of the Supreme Court yesterday morning atter an absence of three months, during which period he underwent an operation for the ampute tion of his lift arm. was signalled in a demonstrative manner. Sir Samuel was accompanied by the other Judges, and there was a distinguished gathering to greet him at the barristers table. Sir John Downer, LC., expressed heartfelt congratu lations at the Chief Justice's recovery from a terrible affliction. Sir Samuel Way, in responding, stated that he had been assured all through his serious illness of the love of the legal profession. He was glad tc come back to his old seat not as an unwel come occupant. Miss E. Stfford Millar. of Chicago, ar rived by the R.M.S. Otway this morning from Melbourne, on a visit to her sisters, Mrs. Harman, of Malcolm-street, Perth, and Mrs. Rogers. of Maylands. A Sydney me"age amounces the death of George Watson Holdahip, recently in metor for the New Zealand Insurance LieutenantGeneral Sir Percy Henry Noel Lake, who has been given the command of the Northern Army in India, has had a dis tingcished militar career, as becomes the son of Lieutenant-Colonel P. G. B. Lake, who in his day was a noted officer. Born in 1855, and educated in Uppingham School, he- joined the 59th Foot in 1873, and saw his bpti of fire in the Afghan war five years later. He took part in the Sudan Expedition and gained a medal with a clasp and a bronze star at Suakin, subsequently holding many offices in connection with the service. In 1911 he became a Divisional Commander in India, and in the following year he was appointed to his present high position of chief of the Indian General Staff. Mr. A. A. Dalglish, of Pomeroy Station, Goulburn (N.S.W.), has received a cable message informing him of the death of his brother Charles, who was a captain in the Black Watch. He was killed in action. Captain Dalglish, who was born in Goul burn, was a son of the late Mr. Campsie Dalglish. He leaves a wife and three little girls. Prince Alfred collegians, present end past, will be gratified to learn that W. A. Potts, a son of the Rev. W. A. Potts, of Mount Gambier (S.A.), has won the coveted Angas Engineering Scholarship in the Adelaide University, which is equivalent to £200 a year for two years, and entitles the holder to continue his studies during that period in any country approved by the council of the university. Mr. Potts, who received his earlier education in the Prince Alfred Col lege, and has been studying in the Adelaide University, is about 20 years of age. Dr. Edward Seymour Brett was found dead in his bedroom in the Strahan (Tas mania) Hospital. He had been suffering from heart trouble. He practised at one time in Dungog (New South Wales). The late Capt. Douglas Keith Lucas Luoes. Tooth whose name appears in the casualty list published in England, was born in Syd ney in October, 1881, and was the second son of Sir Robert Lucas-Tooth, formerly of Sydney. He went to England with his par ents as a lad, and received his early educa tion there. When the South African war broke out young Lucas-Tooth, who was then in Australia, volunteered for service, but he was passed over as being too youn. Nevertheles, the military spirit in him was too strong to be restrained, and he went out to South Africa, where he joined one of the regiments, ultimately becoming en aide-de-camp to Lieutenant-General Sir Edward Hutton. He was mentioned in de spatches for conspicuous service, and was awarded the Queen's medal with six clasps, and the King's medal with two clasps. At the close of the war, he joined the 9th Lancers with whom he served in India and South Africa, returning with them to Eng. land about two years ago. Mr. H. B. Howard Smith, chairman of directors of the Howard Smith Co., Ltd., and Mrs. Howard Smith have bare booked passages for Australi in the R.MS. Malwa, duo to leave London on October 17. Mr. C. N'. Boult, of Mackay (Q.), has been appointed engineer of the Westport (N.Z.) Harbour Board, at a salary of £1,000 per annum. The Rev. S. G. McLaren, well known in Melbourne as a leading Presbyterian minis ter and educationalist, died at Fern Tree Gully, after a long period of ill health. Mr. McLaren reached his 74th birthday recently, and, although physically in precarious health, his mental vigour and alertness de ceived his many friends, to whom the news cf his death came as a surprise. Mr. McLaren arived in Australia 26 years ago. From 1889 to 1911 he held with distinction the position of principal of the Presby. terian Ladies' College in Melbourne. As a preacher, a writer, and an educationalist I r. McLaren rendered good service to the community in Victoria. Mr. Moses Ward, one of the oldest phar maceutical chemists in Australia, died In Hobart at the age of 87 years. He is sur vived by a wife and eight children, one of whom is the wife of Commander Beresford, who is in charge of the Australian ecpedi toinary force in New Guinea. Mr. Harry Lauder's tour of Australama terminated recently in Auckland (N.Z.) Mr. Lauder and his company were to return to Sydney and leave that city for America, where the comedian is about to undertake his seventh tour of that country. Mr. Lander expects to re-visit Australia within the next couple of years. Mr. William Donaldson, for many years a captain of vessels of the Howard Smith line, trading between New Zealand and Australia, and around the Australian coast, died in Stawell (Vic.), at the age of 76 -ears. The deceased gentleman owned the Commercial Hlotel in stawell, and had re sided there fore some years. At one time he kept a hotel in Richmond, and he was in the same business in Numurkah. Mr. J. L. Webb of Huddart, Parker Limited. has accepted a seat on the board of the Commercial Bank of Australia Lim ited, rendered vacant by the resignation of Mr. W. H. Calder.