Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections


We regret to announce tbe death, in his 72nd year, ol the Hon. Philip Santo, one of our oldest and best known colonists. Mr. Santo had for many years resided in South Australia, and occupied at one period a prominent position in political life here. Besides being a member of the Legisla ture for a considerable period, he filled at various times a seat on the Ministerial benches, numbering amongst his colleagues some of the best-known politicians in the history of South Australia. In commercial circles he likewise had a high position, being: the head of the firm of Philip Santo & Co. For come weeks Mr. Santo had been ailing, but until the last few days no serious consequences were expected. It was then found, however, that little hope of   his recovery could be entertained. His death took place at his residence. West-terrace, at 4 o'clock on Tuesday morning. He had been unconscious for two days, and was in that condition when he died.

Mr. Santo was born at Saltash, a suburb of Plymouth, on the banks of the Tamar, in Cornwall, on August 7, 1818. At the age of 22, after having learnt the carpentering trade, he came to the colony of Sonth Australia, then a settlement of three years' standing, in the ship Brightman, arriving in December, 1840. He at once engaged in business as a builder in Franklin street, and continued in this line for some years, assisting in the erection of some of the earliest buildings in the city of Adelaide. His next move was to the Burra, where he was installed as foreman of the works at the great     Burra Burra copper mine. He left the Burra when the Victorian gold rush broke out and went to Melbourne and traded there. He soon returned to Adelaide and entered business, es tablishing what has since grown into tbe well known firm of Philip Santo & Co., merchants, of Waymouth-street. Mr. Santo waa not content to live the life of a private citizen, bat entered the service of his adopted country as a member for the City of Adelaide in the House of Assembly in 1860. This was the second Parliament of the colony elected under the Constitution Act of 1855-6,   and Mr. Santo occupied his seat during its three sessions. He held the portfolio of Com missioner of Public Works in Mr. Waterhouse's first Ministry, which, however, only lasted from October 8 to October 17, 1861. The third Parliament also saw him a member, and he accepted the office of Commissioner of Public Works under the Hon. (now Sir) Henry Ayers. This position he filled from July 15, 1863, to July 22, 1864, on which date the Ministry was re constructed, and Mr. Santo continued as Com missioner of Public Works from July 22, 1864, to August 4 of the same year. During tbe last session of the Parliament of 1863 5 the Hon. Henry Ayers once more assumed the position of Premier, and he selected Mr. Santo to again take charge of the Public Works Department. This Ministry was not, however, of long duration, as it only lasted from September 20, 1865, to October 23 of the same year. Parliament was re elected in 1864, and Mr. Santo eras returned for the district of East Adelaide, which position he occupied till 1868. During this period he was twice called upon to take office under Mr. Ayers, the first time being from May 3, 1867, to Septem ber 24, 1868, and the second from October 13, to November 3, 1868. These were the last oc casions on which Mr. Santo held Minis terial portfolios, but he continued to sit in Parliament from 1868 to 1870 as one of the representatives of the district of Barossa. He was in the House of Assembly for 11 years, out of which period he held office for 2 years 7 months and 18 days. During that time his Ministerial colleagues were Sir Henry Ayers, Sir Arthur Blyth, Sir William Milne, the late Judge Andrews, the late Judge Stow, the late Mr. John Hart, the late Mr. Thos. Reynolds, the late Mr. G. M. Waterhouse, and the Hon. L. Glyde. After refiling from the Assembly he con tested a seat in the Legislative Council, and on October 4, 1870, was returned, and from this position he retired by rotation on February 12, 1881, having thus apent 21 years continuously in the Legislature of the colony. He was de feated at the periodical election for the Upper House in 1881, and in May, 1885, he again offered himself for re election, but was once more unable to obtain a seat. In July, 1887, he was defeated by the Hon. S. Tomkinson at an election to fill the vacancy caused by tbe death of the Hon. Thos. English. After that time Mr. Santo lived a retired life. He was an elder of the Church of Christ, Grote street, and at all times took a deep interest in tbe affairs of tbe church. He was married in England and leaves widow and four daughters—Mrs.   Gore, wife of the Rev. T. J. Gore; Mrs. James Smith; Mrs. J. S. Greer, of Unley; and Miss Santo. His son, Mr. Philip Santo, Jun., died some years ago, and two of his daughters are also dead. In his younger days Mr. Santo was a good runner and swimmer, and always en- joyed excellent health up to the time of his last sickness.