Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

3 corrections, most recently by Peter.Eedy - Show corrections



The first round of matches of this associa-   tion was played in the Botanical Gardens on Saturday between the above clubs, and re-   sulted in a win for the St. Andrews by 7 goals

to nil. Owing to the late heavy rains the park was in a very sloppy condition, and made it ex-

ccedingly difficult for the players to keep on their feet. Their numerous falls caused great amusement to tho large body of spectators who wore present The captain of the Saints (R. Wylie) having won the toss, decided on the defenders of the goal facing the river. The Queen's Park centre set in motion the ball, which was returned by the Saints' backs, when Princeps, captain of the Queen's Park, got on the ball, and making a good run down the field passed the Saints' backs and made a grand attempt to score, but the goalkeeper being on the alert cleverly put the ball back into play. For the first quarter of an hour it seemed as if the Saints were going to get it very hot, as their opponents' forwards played very well, and always passed the ball to the left wing, where Princeps made several very brilliant shots for goal, but failed to score. Wylie, seeing the danger his right wing was in, all the heavy play being there, changed his half-backs, which somewhat. altered the play. The Saints now began to show their supremacy, and Menzies and McCreadie got the ball away on their wing, when a good centre from Menzies was easily put through by Angus, who thus lowered the colours of the Queen's Park for the first time. The ball being kicked off was kept pretty much in midfield, for some time until the Saints' centres getting the ball took it up the field, and passed it to the left wing, where Kyle scored number two for the Saints. Princeps now began to make himself felt, and getting the ball into the Saints' territory sent it spinning under the tape, but was disqualified owing to a foul being claimed before the ball went through. Currie taking the advantage of the foul put it on to the left wing but bouncing off one of the Q. P. men, went out of play. Wylie pitching the ball in by a clever dodge landed it at Angus's foot, when he scored number three for the Saints. Half-time being called the Saints had three goals to their credit. When play was resumed the ground was ter- ribly cut up. No very brilliant play was shown, the Saints, however, got four more goals to their credit. A very friendly feeling was shown between the two clubs, and credit was accorded to both umpires and referee, who showed no partiality during the game.