Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

9 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections


Carbine's Cup Rider.

From Perth yesterday came the news of the death of Robert ("Bob") Ramage, who gained fame as one of the best jockeys of his day, and as the rider of Carbine when that horse carried 10.5 to victory in   the Melbourne Cup of 1890. Ramage, who died in the Perth Hospital, was aged 60 years.

Although generally known as Ramage, his real name was Ramadge, and it was this name he used when signing a letter, dated October 22 1925 to the sporting editor   of "The Australasian." This letter contained     Ramages own reminiscenses, and   related that he was born in Queen Street, Melbourne in 1865, his people being very early colonists. When aged about 13 years,   he joined R. Sievier's stable, and remained     there for some years, though never   apprenticed to Sievier "Within 12 months I won my first race for Mr Sievier at a place called White Horse, near Kew," Ramage said in his letter. "It was on a mare named Zillah, and the distance was   two miles. I was not more than four stone   and a half in weight at this time.   Outstanding jockeys of my early riding days   were 'Tom' Hales, 'Billy' Yeomans, 'Sam'     Davis, Paddy 'Piggott' and 'Bricky' Colley,   from whom I learned a great deal.   In the Melbourne Cup when I won on   Carbine, with a welter weight, there were 39 runners. I got through without   interference. In the two following Melbourne Cups, in both of which I had an undoubted   chance, I was brought down through horses falling in front of me. In 1891, Megaphone,   who had undergone a solid preparation at the hands of Walter Hickenbotham, and   was in better form than he had ever been, was brought down through Cobham falling right in front of him. I had just moved up to what I considered a safe and suitable   position at that particular stage of the race. The following year (Glenloth's wet   Cup) I was on Portsea, a rare stayer and a typical mud horse, and was bowling along at little better than three quarter pace when the Sydney horse, Pilot Boy, floundered   in the mud and fell. Portsea and   some others fell over him. I was very confident of winning on Portsea that year.   He was backed for a lot ot money by his owner (Mr Purches), but Patron's win two years later in a measure recompensed that fine sportsman for Portsea's mishap. I was lucky in the great Caulfield Cup smash of 1885. I was on the Tasmanian horse Mozart, and the horse on the inside of me came down and badly interfered with Mozart, who, though staggered, managed to keep on his feet. Though I had many   falls in my long career I was never very seriosly injured with the exception of a broken leg when Bendigo, a horse owned by Mr D. S. Wallace, fell with me at Flemington. Carbine was a splendid horse to ride in a big field and he would move up quickly into any position offering. He seemed to know what to do. Marvel's defeat   of Carbine in the All Aged Stakes at   Randwick in 1891 created a great sensation.   The going was sloppy, and Carbine ran barefooted, but Marvel was light-plated. My instructions were to make the pace, but Carbine, never a sound footed horse, could not gallop in the sloppy going, and Marvel, an exceptionally brilliant miler, ran over him at the finish. The Cumberland Stakes, two miles, was a match between the two. On this occasion Carbine carried

light plates on the forefeet, and my   instructions were to lie alongside Marvel for   the first mile. A very free goer, I saw to it that Marvel kept going, and "Mat" Harris was doing his best to steady him.   At about the mile post I ranged alongside him, and, though vigorously ridden by Harris he could not answer Carbine's  

challenge. After that it was a procession, and Carbine won pulling up by seven or eight lengths.

"At this meeting I was engaged on the eve of the race to ride Greygown in the Sydney Cup. Highborn the top weight was a pronounced favourite. If ever I   won a race I believe I won that Cup. It was certainly a sensational finish but to this day I honestly think I won by about a neck. Finishing on the outside of Highborn   and Yowi, I glanced over my shoulder   on passing the winning post and could see I was in front John Gough, who was on Highborn when we pulled up, said, 'You won Bob.' Riding back Gough said, "They've got my number up' I said, 'Oh!   They'll take it down' But the number       stayed up. Gough seemed not to realise that he had been awarded the race and the clerk of the course had to tell him to doff his cap in acknowledgment as the rider of the winning horse.