No corrections yet
¡ Annerley District.
Growth of Valuable Suburb.
ONE of the most thickly-populated
districts of Brisbane is Anner- ley, which sprang Into existence along the bustling highway be- tween Biisbane and Ipswich These were the two ii val capital cities of Queensland and bullock drivers from the latter town bl ought their wool laden teams along the Ipswich-ioad to the South Biisbane wharves fiom wheie the product was shipped to Sydney in small sailing vessels of fiom 00 to 150 tons A well-known name connected with the eaily history of Annerle/ was that of the late Mi
Joseph Thompson, -who owned about 200 acies of land on the left side ot the Ipswich-road extending back to the Burnett Swamp and his paddock was one of the first to be cut up foi closei settlement, the district still bealing the name of Thompson Estate
One of the fiist residents on the Riveiview Estate was the late Mi
Henzell who built Coonoona, later occupied by Mi A F Luya The Hon Digby Denham followed shortly aftei wards, and built his home on the top of the hill Mr Denham succeeded his fiiend, Mi Samuel Grimes, ML A, as membei of the district, and eventually became Piemiei of Queensland It was due to him that the old Boggo-ioad had its name changed to Annerley, the distiict taking the name after It One of the eai liest industiies in the dis- trict was the wool scoui and tannery the late Mr T B Stephens erected on the Ekibin Creek, while the Stephen mountain near by was the site foi the line range during the peilod of the Boer Wai Lowei down the Ipswich ioad, neai Yeronga, Mr Sandison com- menced a potteiy, which Is still flourishing
TT was due to the late Mr. John
Soden, however, that the district bounded ahead. Mr. Soden settled on the Ipswich-road, Yeronga, in Septem- ber, 1879, and about two years later commenced his line of 'buses to ' the city: An efficient service was estab- lished, and Soden's 'buses continually brought out new settlers In the dis- trict. The 'buses were run for many years with the aid of Mr. Soden's six sons and a daughter, and to-day Ave of the children stilf resido within a stone's throw of the original home site. Eventually modern trams ais placed the 'buses, which were with- drawn, and the stables were converted to a coachworks. Alderman J. Soden, one of the late Mr. John Sotien's sons, who is a member of the Brisbane City Council, has been actively concerned in municipal work for many years.
St. Kilda Estate.
rpHE inducements to settle in the
Annerley district are set out in the advertisement in "Tîie Brisbane Courier" of June 11, 1864, when the St. Kilda estate, practically all that land between the cid and the ne\i Ipswjch-road, was submitted for sale at public auction by Trundle and Cameron, auctioneers and land estate agents. The advertisement says: "Three hundred magnificent business allotments and cottage residence sites, situated ' on the main telegraphic line of road to Ipswich, within one m.-rj of Stanley-street, South Brisbane, and a few chains from Mr. Toohey's land, nearly opposite the Newtown estate, and about ten minutes' walk from the new ferry at Harris's Wharf. The auctioneers In presenting these lands point out that the property bears the same relative position to Brisbane, regarding proximity, that Collingwood or Richmond does to Mel- bourne; Woolloomooloo or Newtown to Sydney; and with the now speedy prospect of the erection of the bridge it is obvious that business stands and residence sites will immediately reach an equal value with Fortitude Valley lands. Parties Inspecting St. Kilda will corroborate the assertion now made that the grounds, having a gradual ascent from the Telegraph Road to the Old Ipswich Road, arc so perlcctly free of broken ridge or gully that an objectionable allotment dot* not exist on the whole estate. It is worthy of remark that the very large population settled on the adjacent properties of Waterford, Merton, Fleurs, Fox's, and other estates, with- in the past 12 months, clearly indi- cates the direction In which the city is growing. To these palpable facts may be ud^.'d what cannot but arrest the attention of all observers of the rapid advance of this locality, that In a few monies hence allotments of land fronting the main outlet of the met- ropolis of the most successful colony under the British Crown, situated within two miles Of the Post Oflico, will only be purchasable at enormous increases on their present w?rth." In spite of the advantages set out in this advertisement it was not until tho 'eighties, when the late Mr. John Soden established regular transport, that the district really commenced to
Junction Park State School.
TpROM a tiny cottage school of 1888
the Junction Park State School has grown to be one of the leading State schools of Queensland, due en- tirely to the unselfish devotion of Mr. J. J. Dempsey, the retli'.d head teacher. When the first section of the Thompson Estate of 200 acres was sold, a number of thrifty workers bought «ilotments and set out to es- tablish homes. The need of a school was soon felt-the nearest being those at Yeronga, Coorparoo, and Dutton Park (then called the "Jail School"). When the second section of the estate began to be built on a school on or near the estate became a necessity. So, in April, 1888, a "provisional" school for very young pupils was set up in a rented four-roomed cottage in Ox- ford-street. The committee soon found themselves unable to pay the 10/ a week rent, and the Department of Education took over the tenancy. In January, 1889, Mr. Dempsey was placed in charge of the school, and with him was Miss Jessie Brown, os a young assistant. Miss Brown has served the school continuously ever since. The school grew rapidly, doub- ling its roll in the first three months. The cottage provided room for 80 pupils,, and when its walls were bulg- ing out to hold 200 a move was made to the Regent-street Hall in August, 1889. Here the school remained until March, 1891, during which time tem- porary sheds were twice added to hold the increasing, attendance. Through the services of the late Mr. W. Stephens, M.L.A., who was chair- man of the school committee, a site for the new school, containing five acres opposite the Junction Hotel, was secured. Plans were prepared for a school for 150 chil- dren, but owing to Ministerial and other delays and opposition the build- ing was not started. When matters seemed to have been settled fresh plans were drawn-this time for 250 pupils. But In the interval the "provisional" school topped 300. So a third school was planned for 450 pupils, and esti- mated to cost £3500, of which one fifth, or £700, was to be provided by the residents. But the committee had only £200 in hand, so It was agreed to build, at first, only the central por- tion, and to add the two wings of the quadrangle as funds permitted.
The New School.
QN March 31, 1891, the school chil-
dren made a triumphant march from the Regent-street school to the new school, where they were joined by another 100 new children. The new school provided seating accommodation for 280 children, but 425 attended on the first day, and after a few weeks there was a daily average attendance of 480. The new school ground was un fenced, and when classes were In pro- gress under the school it was necessary to have an extra monitor to chase fowls and ducks out of the class. Cattle, horses, dogs, and goats roamed at will over the ground, and at last, after sev- eral years, Mr. Dempsey bought fenc- ing material, and with the help of a man together put up a fence on one side of the grounds. With commend- able foresight, Mr. Dempsey realised that it would be necessary to maintain a road from King-street to the school, and as he could not get the respon- sible bodies to act, he himself, in 1894, purchased six allotments for that pur- pose. Years later, when the road was formed, the allotments were resumed at original cost, but there was never any mention of all the rates Mr. Demp- sey had paid on them. A similar road giving direct access on the southern road was provided In the early '20's at ithe instance of Councillor H. A. Manahan. Another scheme that
had been caiefully nuituied by Mi Dempsey was the enlargement of the school íeserve, and as he had little hope of obtaining depaitmental assistance he set about the task ol quietly buying 19 allotments that boideied the school grounds Secietly he was helped by Mr John Hill (Shiie Clerk) and Mi Digby Denham M L A , and at the time of Mr Dempseys le tirement in 1923 when he was succeed- ed by the present head mastei (Mr T G Fisher) all but thiec allotments had been resumed foi school purposes Mi Dempsey suffcied a not loss of seveial htindied pounds during the 14 years that It took him to achieve his object but he was satisfied he had done the best foi the children Mr. Dempsey was also responsible foi in tioducing the fhst -wimmlng pool into the State schools At fust a waterholo In Toohey s paddock -was used and latei pait of the Ekibin Cieek was dammed back E\entually in 1911, the first swimming pool in the school grounds was opened ant. in 1928 rte piesent spacious pool was bulli T"G school whioYi commenced in 1888 with 60 pupils now has an enrollment of over 1200 In connection with the en- largement of the school it is lnteiest
ing to note that Mi Dempsey was icsponsible foi the design of a new type of schoolroom which has since become the stindaid type foi State school class looms It would be diffi- cult to find a lread mastei who has shown such geneious devotion to his school and has spent so much of tu, own time and money in the inteiests of geneiations of childi en Ovei 10 000 scholais have passed tluough the school and eveiy one of them owe Mi
Dempsey their thanks foi a sound education ¿nd happy childhood days
rpHE Baptist Chuicn in Anneiley
district is ícpi evented by two churches one at Tah field and the other in OKcefe-stieet in the Thomp- son Estate The Taiiiield Baptist Church grew out of a small mission established in 1865 as the result if the effoits of the well-known bictheri, Geoigc and Samuel Giimes an 1 the Rev B G Wilson the fiist minist of the Wharf-etiest chuich who con- ducted services in the dlsulct puoi to that date The site foi the misson hall little moro than a hut was supplied bv Mi Sa-nucl Giimes in 1862 but it was not until 1865 that îegular soi vices were conducted In the hut For -onie voais the mission \ n* associat-d with tho Vultuic-st cet Baptist Chuicn but duili g the past 2) yeais it was given sepa ition and supnoited Its own local ministei A substantial chinch was omit in 1S0O and was cnlaigcl in 1910 The Rev Ralph Sayce «rcictaij of the Baptist Union has boen in charge of the Fan field Chirch since 1920 The Baptist chuich in OKcefe-nticot Thompson Estate was established "s eaily as 88!
and like the ran fiel J chuich was
oiiglnallv conducto I as a tnis-i m by the Vultine-strcct Baptist f> n h \» the present time It is associa» I with the Petiic-teiiacc Baptist church and both chinches aie con meted bv Pastoi P J E/ans undei the admlnistictlon of the Home Mission;
rpHE Ciaoknell-ioad Congiesatlonal
church had its oilgln ovci J!) yeais ago as tile îcsu't ot the enthus- iasm of the late Mis dimes and the late Mrs Wilson each of whom con- ducted Stindav schools at theil own homes Theil effoits wee ti cn co oidinated and a small Sunday School hall was built in the wilderness of Toiraglndl Subsequentiv a moie suit- able place was found in Ciackncll
icad and the hall was enlaigod and íemoved to its new site The fiist fellowship was foi me J by the late Rev J^seph Walkci about 30 yeais ago and when the hall was íemoved to Ciack nell-ioad îegulai chuich sei vices weic conducted by laymen In the Congi ega tlonal body A now chuich was built on its piesent site five yeais ago the first minister being the late Rev r North, MA while the Rev C Behaiell lb the present minister
rj\HE Annerley Methodist Chuich *i
Ipswlch-ioad was fhst started as a Sunday School on the Ferndale Estate by Mi Khkman at his own home in 1889 wita the late Rev William Powell as visiting minister It was largely due to the laboius of the Rev William Powell that the church site was secuied on the Ips wich-ioad and the fhst church was built in 1890 In later yeais it was on laiged, and in 1917 duiing the ministry of the Rev A Lewis was îe placed by the piesent church The Rev G W Plttendiigh is now in charge The church has a fine îeputation foi its musical activities due to the well known conductor, Mr F Yorston, and the choir is one of the best in Bris- bane
Roman Catholic Church.
rpHE Roman Catholic Church in
Ipswich-road was first part of the parish of Coorparoo under the control of Father O'Lcary, but in 1914, when the district had grown to such an ex- tent, Annerley became a separate par- ish of its own, the late Father James Gallagher being the first parish priest. Since then Moorooka, Graceville, and Yeronga, once under the control of the Ipswlch-road church, have been established as separate parishes. The convent of the Immaculate Conception was established In 1915, and the con- vent school was commenced about the same time. The parish is now under the charge of Father J. D. Kelly.
In addition, the district Is graced by St. Philip's Church of England, under
the ministry of the Rev. E. H. Smitn, '. while tho Bethany Hall, Church of j Christ, In Anncrley-road, has also been
long established. I