No corrections yet
The firm of W. K. Thomas and Co., proprietors of "The (South Australian) Register," is being converted Into a limited company at the beginning of the year, under the name of "The Register Newspapers, Ltd." The directors will be Messrs. E. Kyffin Thomas (chairman), C. Kyffin Thomas, and Keith Murdoch. It is interesting to recall that the history of this well known journal goes back to 1836, its first number being printed In London on June l8 of that year, for the in- formation of settlers then about to leave' for South Australia. For- years it was known as the "South Aus- tralian Gazette and Colonial Register." In 1850 it was sold to Messrs. Anthony Forster, E. W. Andrews, Wm. Kyffin Thomas, and Joseph Fisher. With the change of ownership came the de- velopment from a bi-weekly issue into a daily. Later the paper passed Into the hands of the present proprietors, by whom it has been built up into a position of great influence and strength. "The Register" is one of the oldest papçrs in Australia. The "Sydney Morning Herald" preceded it by five or six years, being published on April l8, 1831. The "Argus," founded upon an earlier paper, started about 1848, while "The Brisbane Courier," another vigorous old-timer, dates back to 1846. There were earlier papers, but most of these have passed away with the old colonists who read them.