1 correction by anonymous - Show corrections
Hon. CHARLES POWERS, junior M.L.A. for Maryborough, was born in North Brisbane in 1853. He went to Maryborough in 1861, and to the Gympie rush in 1867. In 1868 he went
to the Ipswich Giammar Sohool, and at the opening of the Brisbane Grammar School in 1869, and during the following year, was a pupil of that establishment. In 1871 he was artioled to Mr. J. P. Lyons, solicitor, and admitted as a solicitor in 1876. Was elected an alderman of Maryborough in 1881, and mayor in 1883 ; a member of tbe Burrum Divi sional Board in 1886; and assisted largely in developing the Burrum coalfields and the Northern coal trade. Mr. Powers went to London in 1887 and formed the Isis Invest ment Company, now working the Torbaniea Colliery, and was appointed chairman of the
local Board of Directors. He assisted in form ing the Weatern Railway Association at Mary borough, being chairman of the first meeting and an active member ever since. At the election of 1888 he was elected a member of tbe Legislative Assembly for the Burrum dis trict, and in September, 1889, was appointed a member of the Ministry without portfolio. He succeeded Mr. Donaldson as Postmaster- General and Minister for Public Instruction in November, 1889, and held that office until tbe Ministry resigned in August, 1890. He repre sented Queensland at the Intercolonial Postal and Telegraph Conference held in Adelaide early last year. He was a member of the Royal Commission of 1891 to consider tbe best means for the establishment of a Queensland university. At the last general election be was elected junior member for Maryborough in the face of bitter opposition.
Andrew Lano Petrie, M.L.A. for Toombul, was born in 1854, in his father's residence in Queen-street, a house opposite the Custom house, on the site of which a stately pile of warehouses has since arisen. After reoeiving the best schooling the colony could then afford young Petrie went into the Government service, out only remained in it three years, and then went into business with his father, as builders, contractors, and brick manufacturers, and also engaged in half-a-dozen of the other branches which go to make up the building trade. In 1885 the Government nominated him aa a member of the Toombul Board for twelve months, during which time he applied himself so thoroughly to his work that at the end of the term he was re-elected without opposition for the further space of three years. He early recognised the fact that of the 30 square miles in the Division of Toombul about 27 square mile? paid only £1600 per arnum in rate?, while the 3£ square miles which form the present Hamilton Division contributed £2500, much of which was spent outside it; and so he took an active part in the movement for separa tion, whioh proved in every way so successful. When the first Hamilton Board was elected he and Mr. Cooksley were the only members of the old Toombul Board who offered themselves for the new division, and Mr. Petrie was elected head of the poll, and afterwards made chair man. Hia knowledge of the affairs of the division is shown by the fact that the officials of the Auditor-General's Department appointed to adjust the accounts of the two bodies declared that tbeir work had never been made so easy for them in a similar manner pre viously. At the last general election Mr. Petrie consented to contest the seat for Toombul in the M'llwraithian interest, and was returned by more than a two to one majority. Mr. Petrie is married, and has a family of three.
Boyd Donlop Mobehead, M.L.A. for Balonne, was born in Sydney, New South Wales, in August, 1843. He was educated privately, in the Sydney Grammar School, and at the University. After serving a clerkship in the Bank of New South Wales, and acting as in ppeotor of stations in Queensland for the Scottish Australian Investment Company, he entered into mercantile business in Brisbane on his own account about the end of 1873. He was returned for the Mitchell in 1871; on Mr. Buzacott resigning the Postmaster- Generalship and the leadership of the Upper House in the M'llwraith Ministry in 1880 he was succeeded by Mr. Morehead. At the general election in 1883 Mr. Morehead contested the Fortitude Valley electorate, but was defeated, and subsequently was returned for his present constituency. On the accession of Mr. Griffith to power in November, 1883, and on tbe absence of Sir Thomas M'llwraith in England, Mr. Morehead aoted as Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly. In 1881 he accom panied Sir Arthur (then Mr.) Palmer to Sydney, where the two represented Queensland at the Intercolonial Conference held there. In March, 1886, he left for a well-earned holiday in Europe. On 19th July, 1887, the opening day of the session, Mr. Morehead was unani mously elected Leader of the Opposition. On the return to power of Sir Thomas M'llwraith after the election of 1888 he took office aa Colonial Secretary, and on Sir Thomas M'll wraith's retirement in November of the same year became Premier, Chief Secretary, and Colonial Secretary, and in September, 1889, Vice-president of the Executive Council. He relinquished the Colonial Secretaryship in January, 1890, but retained the Premiership until AugUßt, 1890, when he tendered the resignation of bis Cabinet. In the early part of 1891 he again visited England. In 1892 he was appointed delegate for Queensland to the Federal Convention. At the general election in May last Mr. Morehead was again leturned for Balonne, defeating Messrs. Nixon and Davis.
William Henry Groom, junior M.L.A. for Toowoomba, was born at Plymouth, Devonshire, England, on 9th March, 1833, and was educated
at St. Andrew's School in that town. He arrived in the colony in 1857, and settled at Drayton, on the Dariing Downs, going into business at Too woomba in 1858 as a storekeeper. Mr. Groom took an active part in publio affairs, and after Toowoomba hud been gazetted a municipality in 1860, and when in January, 1861, an election for nine aldermen took place Mr. Groom out of nineteen candidates headed tbe poll by a large majority, and was elected mayor, which office he held for three years consecutively, during which time he worked hard for the ratepayers, being instrumental in securing for the town the site of the present Town Hall, the Market Re serve, and the splendid reserve known as the Queen's Park, containing 70 acres, 10 acres of which are laid out as a Botanical Garden (the deed of grant of which has just been received by the Municipal Council), and is a place of general resort on Sundays and holidays. In 1862, on the occurrence of a vacancy in the representation of Toowoomba, Mr. Groom, in response to an invitation, offered himself to represent the electorate. He was stiongly op posed by Mr. J. C. White, who was supported by the squatting interest. Mr. Groom, never theless, was elected by a majority of 21, the total number of votes recorded being 231. At the general election in 1863 Mr. Groom again came forward, and was opposed by Mr. F. N. Isaacs. Mr. Groom was again returned, this time by a majority of 26. He resigned bis seat on assigning his estate in 1866 owing to the failure of the Bank of Queensland, but was immediately re-elected without opposition in 1867, and was subsequently banqueted and pre-
sented with a purae of 100 sovereigns. At the general election in 1869 he defeated Mr. James Taylor by a majority of 222 votes, the electors . paying the whole of Mr. Groom's eleotion ex penses. In 1870, 1871, 1874, and 1878 he was again returned. In 1874, in recognition of his many services to the town and district, he was invited to a public banquet and presented with a handsome illuminated address, a solid silver tea and coffee service, and a purse of 250 sovereigns. At the general eleotion in 1883 he defeated the Hon. John Douglas by 442 votes, and in January of that year he was once more ohosen Mayor of Toowoomba, being re-elected in 1884 without opposition. In 1884, on the meeting of Parlia ment after tbe general election of 1888, Mr. Groom was elected Speaker, having previously refused the Chairmanship of Committees offered him by the M'llwraith Government. He haB sat for the same constituency fiora 1862 up to the present time. He is the oldest member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly, and 'has the honour of being "the Father of the House." On the 11th of August, 1887, Mr. Groom having then completed twenty-five years' continuous representation of the Toowoomba electorate —a term probably never previously reached by any other representative in any Aus tralian Parliament —celebrated the event by a banquet, to which were invited all the members of the then existing, and the survivors of the first, Parliament of Queensland. On the disso lution of the Legislative Assembly, consequent upon the passing of the Redistribution Act in April, 1888, Mr. Groom appealed to his con stituency for re election, and was returned at the head of the poll, polling 1065 votes, the greatest number of votes ever recorded for him. In 1892 he visited England, having been recommended by his medical advisers to take a long sea voyage and to re*t his overtaxed brain. Mr. Groom returned to Queensland in October, 1892, and received a cordial welcome home from his fellow-townsmen. At the last general eleotion Mr. Groom was again returned to Par liament, and that by a larger majority than he had ever previously obtained.
Johx Macfahlase, junior M.L.A. for Ipswioh, is a native of Glasgow, Sootland, where he was born in 1829, and received his education at the parish Bchool. He arrived in Queensland in August, 1862, and has been in business as a general storekeeper for the last twenty-five years in Ipswich, for which place he was returned to Parliament in 1877, and which he has faithfully represented ever since. Mr. Macfarlane is a leader in the temperance move ment, and the local option principles whioh are in vogue in Queensland, and whioh have the force of law, are directly attributable to his influence.
John M. Cross, M.L.A. for Clermont, waa born on Ist February, 1859, at Newoastle-on- Tyne, England, and is therefore 34 years of age. He commenced his connection with the Press at the early age of 15, in the office of the Ntwcast'e Current, and was editor of the Felling Gazette when only 22 years old. Mr. Cross arrived in Queensland about ten years ago, and accepted an engagement on the Daily Northern Argus, Rockhampton. Since then he has had an extensive experience of newspaper life in the colony, having been employed on the Brisbane Telegraph, again on the Daily Northern Argus, the Toowoomba Chronicle, Maryborough Chronicle, Gympie Miner, Bunda berg Star, and Bundaberg Hail. He also edited from April, 1892, to May, 1893, the People's Newspaper, a Central Queensland Labour organ. Mr. Cross severed his con nection with the Press on being elected to represent Clermont in the Assembly in place of Mr. John Stevenson, whom he defeated at the geneial election this year.
William Allan, M.L.A. for the Cunningham, was born in Edinburgh. Although born in tbe Lowlands, Mr. Allan claims to be a High lander, as both his parents were of Highland families. Mr. Allan oommenced his eduoation at Mr. Oliphant's Charlotte-square school, Edinburgh, thereafter continuing it at Dunbar, and finished by taking classes at the Ander sonian University, Glasgow. As a lad he oame to Australia to his relation, the Hon. Wm. Campbell, M.L.C, of The Loden, Victoria, and soon afterwards proceeded to Bundure station, on the Riverina, to gain colonial experience. In 1869 he purohased into Geralda station, on the Bland Creek, New South Wales, and in 1871 established a stock and station agency in the town of Young, New South Wales. In December of 1871 he married Emily, third daughter of T. H. Mate, Esq., of Tarcutta station, New South Wales. In 1874 Mr. Allan visited Queensland, and pur chased Whyenbah and Woolerina stations, on the Balonne and Culgoa riveis, Maranoa district. He then pafd (with his family) a visit to Europe, spending some time in Egypt and India en route, previous to his return to take up his permanent residence in Queensland. In 1879 Mr. Allan purchased the freehold property, Braeside, on the high lands of the Darling Downs, whioh he now uses as a stud farm, and upon which graze the finest herd of Here ford cattle to be found in all Australia. In 1881 Mr. Allan was elected as member for the Darling Downs, re-elected in 1887, and in 1888 elected for the Cunningham, a portion of the Darling Downs; and at the last general election he once more headed the poll. Mr. Allan is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society ; President of the United Pastoralists' Association of Queensland ; was president of the first Pastoralists' Federal Council of Australia; and holds numerous more or less important offices not only in Queensland, but also in Australia. Mr. Allan is a well-known judge of stock, and has made a speciality of successfully breeding black merino sheep, and has now the largest flock of the kind in the world. Mr. Allan is most popular with all classes of the community.
Arthur Morgan, M.L.A. for Warwick, was born at Warwick on 19th September, 1856, the son of James Morgan, about eight years mem-
ber for that town, and Chairman of Committees during the tenure of office by the last Macalister, Thome, and Douglas Governments. Mr. Arthur Morgan, after a short time at the public school, entered tbe office oi the Warwick Argus, then edited and owned by his father, and has been in that office ever since, and is now sole proprietor and editor.. In February, 1885, Mr. Morgan waa elected to the Municipal Council, and the following year was unanimously chosen mayor, to which position he was again elected in 1887, 1888, and 1889. In June, 1887, Mr. Jacob Horwitz having resigned his seat for Warwick in the Assembly, Mr. Morgan offered himself as a candidate for the vacancy, defeat ing Mr. William Allan, a former member of tbe Assembly. He was returned for Warwick dis trict at the general election of 1888, and in July, 1891, on the resignation by Mr. Jessop of the position of Chairman of Committees of the Legislative Assembly, he was appointed to that office, which he held until the dissolution. Mr. Morgan still represents Warwick in the Legis lative Assembly, having been re-elected witbou j opposition at tbe general election this year.
C. Poweiis (Maryborough).
A. Pktbik (Toombul)
B. D. Mobeuead (Balonne)
W. H. Gboom (Toowoomba).
J. Macfarlank (Ipswich),
J. M. Cross (Cleimont)
W. Allan (Cunningham)
A. Mokoan (Warwick).
William Smyth, junior M.L.A. for Gympie, is a native of Sydney, where he was born in 1845. After spending some years on the Parra matta River and various New South Wales goldfields, when 23 years of age he went to Gympie, and has ever since been engaged in mining. He is now director of several of the principal mines, and has in his time had the management of the West Inglewood, No. 1 north Phoenix. Nos. 2 and 3 Smithfield, and South New Zealand Junction. Mr. Smyth does not pin his faith exclusively to mining, having an interest in a large sawmill, and also in other businesses. He represents tbe Gympie electorate in Parliament, having been re-elected at the last election.
Ernest Jamkb Stevens, M.L.A. for the Logan, was born in Melbourne, Victoria, 10th July, 1845, and educated at the Church of England Grammar School in that city. Arrived in Queensland in 1866, and has since been en gaged in pastoral pursuits. Has always taken a keen interest in athletics, and is patron, president, or vice-president of a large number of clubs in Brisbane and the country districts. He is tbe president of the Queensland Rugby Football Union. He founded Schools of Art in Southport, Beenleigh, Nerang, and Redland Bay. He is a life member of the Royal Society, and Royal Geographical Society, and president of the South Queensland and Beenleigh * Agri-
cultural and Pastoral Society. He was elected unopposed to represent the Warrego at the general election of 1879, and in 1883 suc cessfully contested the Logan electorate with Mr. Peter M'Lean, being returned without opposition at the general eleotion of 1888. In Parliament he is an Independent member, and sits on the cross benches. Mr. Stevens introduced and oarried the Divisional Board Drainage Act of 1889, and he was also the first to agitate for legislation to prevent the influx of rabbit 8, and, in 1888, successfully carried the first Rabbit Act. At the last general election in 1893 Mr. Stevens was, for the second time, returned unopposed as member fjr the Logan.
James John Cadell, M.L.A. for the Burnett, was born in 1843 at Raymond-terrace, in the Hunter River district, New South Wales, and was educated at Windsor under the late Judge Carey. Destined for pastoral pursuits, he, on leaving school, spent twelve months on Kiti karara station, on the Murrumbidgee, and afterwards ten years on his father's station on the Peel River, near Tamworth, of which he became manager. He came to Queensland in 1870, when he purchased Ideraway station, near Gayndah, where be still resides. In all local affairs Mr. Cadell has ever taken a close in-
terest; he was Mayor of Gayndah for a term, and is now a member of tbe Rawbelle Divisional Board, president of the Burnett Turf Club and of the Burnett Pastoral Association, together with other minor offices. On the resignation of Mr. Jones, the representative of the Burnett electoral district, Mr. Cadell oontested the eleotion in 1891, and was returned by a sub stantial majority. He again contested tbe seat at the last eleotion, and onoe more received the confidence of the Burnett electors. Mr. Cadell has always been a supporter of the Turf, and has had the gratification of seeing many of his own horses win bard-fought racing contests.
Matthew Reid, M.L.A. for Toowong, was born at Ayrshire, Scotland, in the year 1856. Served his apprenticeship and followed the oooupation of carpenter until two years ago. While in Scotland and England took an active interest in politics, and was a member of the Carpenters' Union. After moving to London identified himself with the Radical party, and gradually became associated with the Social Democratic Federation, and for some time was a member of the Executive Counoil. Came to Australia a few years ago, and gradually worked his way to Queensland, where he settled down. Mr. Reid, Boon after his arrival in the colony, took a keen interest
in politios. He became at once conneoted with the Land Nationalisation League, then the only active political organisation, and after wards attaohed himself to the Labour party. At the last general election Mr. Reid was asked to contest the seat for Toowong, and was opposed by the ex-Minister for Railways, whom he defeated by 64 votes after a bard fight. Mr. Reid is a married man, and a stanch teetotaller. Mr. Reid has acted as organiser and secretary for the Brisbane district A.L.F., and is generally regarded as one ot the leaders of the Labour party.
Andrew Fisher, senior M.L.A. for Gympie, and a Labour representative, is a native of Crosshouse, near Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, and was born on 29th August, 1862. His father was a miner, and his brothers and himself have followed the same vocation. He started work before he was 10 years of age in a coal and iron mine in the district where he was born, but the following year was forced to give it up owing to an Act coming into force preventing' children under 12 years woiking in mines. On attain ing the statutory age he returned.to mine work, and in 1880 he took part with Mr. Keir Hardie, now member of Parliament for West Ham in the House of Commons, in a strike. The miners were defeated, and when they returned to work Mr. Fisber's tools were Drought to the surface, or in other words he was discharged. After this he worked in
different coal mines in the locality up to the time of leaving for Australia. He was induced to take this step through reading pamphlets published by the Government, and in company with one of his brothers sailed in the New Guinea in June, 1885, tor the port of Brisbane. From bere Mr. Fisher went to the Burrum, where he worked for some time. He then turned hia steps towards the quartzopolis, arriving in Gympie in the early part of 1888, and was engaged to work in the No. 1 notth Phwnix. Mr. Fisher continued to work there for three years, when after quali fying himself for an engine-driver he secured a certificate, and was engaged aa engine-driver for the South Great Eastern Extended mine, in which position he remained until the company was wound up. During hia residence on Gympie he took an active part in the labour organisations, and was for some time secretary of the local branch of the Amalgamated Miners' Association, and now occupies the position of president. He was also secretary of the Workers' Political Organisation, and resigned the post to contest the Parliamentary election.
William Henry Conn eld, M.L.A. for the Gregory, was born at Yeovil, Somerset, Eng land, January, 1843. Educated at the Kingston School, Yeovil, and afterwards at Spa Villa Academy, Melksham, Wiltshire. Arrived in Brisbane in June, 1862, and at his uncle's (H.C.Corfield's) station, Stanton Harcourt, near Maryborough, in July of the same year. Re mained there for colonial experience until December, 1864, when he started for Clifton station, on the Cloncurry River, where he remained until 1867. When tbe Cape River diggings opened up he tried digging for twelve months, but'being unsuccessful he purchased bullock teams and remained in that district for five years, carrying merchandise to the various goldfields. In 1873 he started from George town with hia teams for the Palmer, and there he remained until 1878. In Auguet, 1878, he joined Mr. Fitzmaurioe as a partner, and to gether they loaded their teams for the Western Downs oountry, eventually settling at what was then termed the Pelican Waterholes on the Western River, a tributary of tbe Diamentina, and which has now grown into the thriving town-' ship of Winton. He was induced to stand for the Gregory district at the general eleotion of 1888, and was returned unopposed. Mr. Cor field was again elected without opposition at the general eleotion of 1893.
G. S. Curtis, M.L.A. for Rockhampton, was born at Tamworth, New South Wales, in 1845.
He is a son of the late Mr. George Curtis, who originally came from Somersetshire, England, but at the time of Mr. G. S. Curtis's birth was the proprietor of Pialaway station, Liverpool Plains, N.S.W. He was educated first at the Grammar School, Sydney, of which he was one of the firat scholars, and afterwards at the High School, West Maitland, where he had Sir S. W. Griffith as one of his schoolmates. Mr. Curtis was originally intended for pastoral work, and in 1863, just after he left school, he went to Rockhampton, overland from New South Wales, in company with the late Mr. John Forsyth. Shortly after he went back to New South Wales, where he remained till 1866, when he returned to Rockhampton, and has remained there ever since. When he came the second time Mr. Curtis entered the office of Mr. Mills Wormald, who was then carrying on a large auctioneering business. In 1872 Mr. Wormald died, and Mr. Curtis took over the business, which he has carried on ever since. Mr. Curtia is an ardent separationist, and has shown considerable skill and ability, combined with a healthy enthusiasm, in forwarding the cause which he has so earnestly espoused. He has been chairman of the Central Queensland Separation League since 1889, and places the reparation question in the very front rank of Queensland politics.
Frederick Lord, M.L.A. for the Stanley, is a Bon of the late Mr. Simon Lord. He is a native of Tasmania, having been born at Bona Vista, Avoca, in that colony, on the Bth of November, 1841. In early life he received tuition in the island, and at the age of 10 years he went to England, where he attended the Blackheath Proprietary School for some time, and afterwards spent three years at King's College, London. Leaving this seminary he waa articled to Mr. Richard Johnston, Chief Engineer on the Great Northern Railway. At the expiration of his term of service he returned to Tasmania, where he remained for a few months, and then came on to Sydney and shortly afterwards to Brisbane. Not long after his arrival in that city he obtained an appoint ment as assistant engineer on the Central Railway, and was engaged on the survey of the line to the Dawson. On the completion of his work here he returned to Brisbane, and
entered the Surveyor-General's Department as a licensed surveyor, and spent some time in prosecuting Government work on tho Darling Downs. A few months after Gympie broke out he, with hia brothers, proceeded thither, where they were fairly successful, having secured a share in the celebrated South Lady Mary claim. At this township he was elected a member of the first local raining court, and was subsequently, in 1867, appointed a justice of the peaoe. In 1867 Mr. Lord again came to Brisbane, and was married to the third daughter of the late Mr. James Warner, a surveyor, and for some time Sergeant-at-Arms in the Legis lative Assembly. During the month of March of the same year he went to Toowoomba, and there practised at his profession for a few years. In conjunction with his father and brothers Mr. Lord selected land on the Downs in 1868. In 1873 he was engaged in prospecting for tin in the Crow's Nest district, and in the same year he, with his father and brothers, took up land at Eskdale. The following year (1874) he left Toowoomba for Eskdale, where he resided with his family, and subsequently he purchased Eskdale station with its stock from the late Mr. James Ivory, of Bundamba. Mr. Lord has always taken an active interest in the welfare of the district. He has been chairman of the Marsupial Board, and was chairman of the
Esk Divisional Board for nine years in the aggregate, filling that position at one time, for some years consecutively.
William Dbayton Armstrong, M.L.A. for the Lookyer, is the son of Mr. William Armstrong, M.D., at present practising his profession in Toowoomba. He was born at Drayton on the 28th of March, thirty-one years ago, and was educated by private tution till he was 18 years of age. The finishing of hia education was intrusted to the late Mr. Carr-Boyd, L.L.D. He then entered the Government service in the Roads Department, where he remained for about two years, until the advent of the divi sional board system. He then went to Yandilla as a " colonial experience" hand for two years to learn sheep-farming, &o. Subsequently he left the Darling Down?, and went out West ward overland to the Diamantina, where he was engaged as a station overseer for a short time. When the drought of 1884 was at its height he left the station and travelled about the North-west portion of the colony, and in November of the same year turned his footsteps towards Normanton. Afterwards he got the position of head overseer at Yandilla station, where he remained till he left to take his pre sent position at Lake Clarendon, near Gatton. He was elected a member of the Tarampa Divisional Board in March, 1890, appointed Chairman of the Board in January, 1891, and has held that position up to the present time. At the general election in May last he defeated Mr. W. 0. Hodgkinson, the late Minister for Mines and Education, with the aid of the con tingent vote. This waa the only case in which the contingent vote reversed the result of an elec tion. Mr. Armstrong is captain of the Gatton Mounted Infantry (or more properly No. 5 Company, Moreton Mounted Infantry), a corps
which has deservedly won warm approval from headquarters on more than one occasion.
Chicago telegrams describe the collapse of various booms which were dependent upon the success of the World's Fair. The values of hotels, theatres, street railways, and real estate are undergoing readjustment. The situation is embarrassing, even to sound operators. There are runs upon several saving banks; money is being lodged in safe deposit boxes. The liquidation of the wheat account injures only speculators ; it is welcomed here as a promising commodity for export instead of gold.
W. Smyth (Gympie)
E. J. Stevens (Logan).
J. J. Cadell (Burnett)
M. Reid (Toowong).
A. Fishes (Gympie).
W. H. Corheld (Gregory).
G. S. Curtis (Rookhampton).
F. Loud (Stanley).
W. D. Armstrong (Lockyer)