Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

37 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections



By F. W. H.

Brisbane, January 18, 1864 — Arrival: Susanne Godeffroy, ship, 1460 tons, Captain     H. Muller, from Hamburg, September 24, 1863, with 369 German emigrants. Heuss- ler and Co., agents.

The Susanne Godeffroy sailed from Ham- burg on September 21, and dropped the pilot at Cruxhaven on the 24th. Dr. Hobbs, the Queensland medical officer, visited her on January 19, and finding the passengers in good health, passed her. The vessel is a new ship at 914 tons (British measurement), and was built at Lubeck for Messrs. Godefroy and Co., and this   was her first voyage. She had on board 13 saloon passengers—Mr. Smith and family, and Messrs. Burg and Stolzenow. During the voyage there were 11 deaths of     infants and one birth.

The crossing of the Logan River from the north to the south side was about a mile above the present bridge that spans the river at Logan Bridge (McLean). The

road then shot down the river and through

Brown's Plains and Cooper's Plains —this  

later place was an outside convict sta-    

tion, where cattle and sheep where stocked and farming carried on during the re- gime, thence through Rocky Waterholes (Rocklea), where it joined the road to Lime- stone (Ipswich) and the Darling Downs. This was the route—which is practically that of today—used by those early cattle and sheep men of the Upper Logan as early back as 1842, Captain Carden Col- lins (Telemon) buying from Mocatta and Kinchler (Kinchler was at that time a judge in Sydney), A. W. Compigne and



Jones (Nindooimbah) having bought from Lawless, who then went up the  

Burnett way. Mr. Compigne was P.M. in Beenleigh, and died in Brisbane, July,  

1909. John Campbell (known as "Tinker") had taken up Tamrookum,   which passed on to the Barkers. Walter Smith was then at Bromelton, A. I. Henderson (Jimboomba). The present Logan Collins came to Mundoolan in 1844. This was then the only crossing for footpads when in the middle of 1863 John H. and Joel Hinchcliffe made their   first trip to the Logan to inspect the   lands then being surveyed from out of  

Henderson's cattle run. Then they trav-  

ersed down the river and picked on   "Broomhill." A month later when an-    

other trip was made (another brother, Verdon, and Malcolm Chisholm joined the party) they crossed in the first ferry boat to ply on the river (Waterman's), opposite to Quinoch Creek, and when they came to finally settle down a month later Waterman had shifted his ferry boat down   to Pymn's Pocket—previously held by Fitzgerald (Tygum) as his resi-  

dence and head station ; he sold to Pymn—just above Dairy Creek, then up the creek and cross- ing within sight of one of Henderson's out station yards, with John Perry in   charge. This trip was made by what is now the lower track by Slack's Creek,

and used by Fitzgerald—who originally logged the creek as it is to this day. Hinchcliffes were absolutely the first     selectors after survey on the south side of the river. Waterman shifted his ferry boat to where the bridge is to-day on   Christmas Eve, 1863.



The first mission to the aboriginals was established at German Station (now called Zillmere, after Pastor Zillman) in

March, 1838, by the Moravian Missionaries,   there being 11 clerics, 8 women, and 11 children. Besides their mission work they   took an interest in agricultural pursuits. In later days—the early 60's—they were   the means of settling many families of   their kinsfolk upon the soil, around the neighbourhood of the homestead, Nundah,  

Tingalpa, Hemmant, Pine, and Mary  

River district.

Tho Rev. J. G. Hausmann was one of the original lay missionaries at German Station, in 1838, who in the late 40's was transferred to Victoria,   and again transferred from German-     town, in the neighbourhood of Gee- long (Victoria) to this colony in   1856, as an itinerating minister in the Wide Bay and Burnett districts. In 1863 he was again at German Station, and often visited and held services amongst all creeds of the new arrivals to the colony who made South Brisbane their camping ground. It was during his visits to this place and also that of   their visits to German Station in buy-   ing horses and cattle that he became acquainted with those people who had visited the Logan in search of new homes; that brought Mr. Hausmann to the Logan at the end of 1863 on a ministering and ínspection visit, and with the assistance of the then only English

family then settled, though there were also many Scotch and Hibernian families also settled down, and arriving on the North side of the river—located the Ger-

man settlement at Waterford and the     following year around what is now Been-         leigh. The Waterford settlement was

given the name of Bethany—hence the present name of Bethania Junction that the Railway department bestows thereto —though when the line was originally opened the department gave it the abori- ginal appellation—Karra Karra Junction.

Unlike the other settlers—for they were some six months later—they did not set out and tramp it, but they obtained a dray to convey them, and they came straight out by what is now called the lower road around Slack's Creek, to the present site of the Waterford Bridge, where the dray was left. The middle road, by Scrubby Creek, was blazed through in 1868 by J. H. Hinchcliffe, assisted by Richard Leo, and this then became the direct road Brisbanewards. Crossing in the ferry boat   early in the morning of the second day they then made their way to Broomhill, where, as previously arranged by the   Rev. Hausmann, the two Hinchcliffe brothers (John H. and Joel) piloted them around the selections, which they even- tually selected. The rev. gentleman acted as interpreter—not one of the others could understand a word of English. Re-  

turning to Hinchcliffe's commodious tents       in the afternoon they partook of lunch. Mr. J. C. Heussler, who was the Colony's immigration agent to Germany, in his lectures spoke, and in his pamphlets wrote, of the new country as "a land flowing with milk and honey," and it was on this occasion that they first par- took of in abundance of the honey of Queensland. The party consisted of about a dozen—from memory they were : Rev. J. G. Hausmann, J. Schneider, C. Berndt, A. Holtzheimer, A. Kleinschmidt, C. Tesch, W. Noe, E. Ebert, C. Willert, N. Kelk, J Lotz, W. Muchow—though at this date I may be wrong in a few instances. They left Broomhill towards  



evening on their return to Brisbane, which they reached the next day well satisfied with what they had been shown. After reporting the visit to their ship-   mates in detail, and long consultations, the following of the immigrants decided to throw in their lot in this commune, viz.:

J. G. Schneider, C Berndt, W. Muchow, H. Felchoff, E. Ebert, A. Kleinschmidt, C. Tesch, C. Thumm, T. Eppinger, A. Holtzheimer, W. Theidecke, J. Lotz, N. Gall, G. Goetch, H. Kasper, C. Huth, C. Flesser, W. Schilling, W. Richter, A. Lindow, A. Radke, W.   Kelk, W. Noe, H. Ludwig, O. Kroning, C. Sichter, C. Willert, G. Kienter, and several names which at the moment, though a hazy recollection of, I have for- gotten. The recent half century religi-  

ous service which was held at Bethania           on January 19 last was in celebration of       their arrival in the colony, and not as

many thought of their arrival on the   Logan; and it will have been noticed that  

many of those names were not mentioned.   The ravages of old time causes many   gaps. Many of their shipmates decided   upon Tingalpa and Hemmant, whilst     others took positions on farms and up-   country stations. This all being decided upon a visit was made to the Lands   Office where the inspected land was ap- plied for and obtained. Starting from the Logan River opposite the mouth of Slack's

Creek, and running down the river, we

have the original selectors names with the acreage of each farm as:

Selection No. 21. — W. Muchow and H.

Felchoff, 46 acres.  

Nos. 19 and 20. — C. Berndt, J. Schnei- der, E. Ebert, A. Holtzheimer, C. Tesch, J. G. Haussman, 36 and 47 acres respec- tively

No. l8.-J. Haussman, C. Thumm, and T. Eppinger, 63 acres ; this is the piece opposite road leading on to O'Donnell's.

No. 17.—J. Haussman, C. Thumm, T. Eppinger, 78 acres. .

No. 16.—A. Holtzheimer, 58 acres. Be- thania railway station is on part of this


No. 15.—E. Ebert, 59 acres. On this is the Lutheran Church and cemetery,   along which a road runs right through to the river, being 58 chains distance.

On the other side of this road, and facing Hinchcliffe's we have :

Block 13.— C. Tesch, 48a. 2r. This runs down to nearly opposite the church.

No. 14 runs to the river—J. Schneider, C. Tesch, and C. Berndt, 47 acres. Mr.

Schneider lived on this farm near the   dividing fence opposite the church, where he had his blacksmith's shop.

No 12.—C. Tesch, J. Schneider, C. Berndt, 58 acres.


No 10—C. Berndt, 40 acres. It was  

at the top corner of this selection, a few   years later, that the first parsonage was  

built, and the Rev. Helmuth resided.     On the opposite portion also in after   years was built the Wesleyan Church    

(Holliday's), the first church of that de- nomination in the Logan district. A

road ran down here to the river about  

35 chains.  

No. 2—C. Tesch, J. Schneider, C. Berndt, 60 acres. This was the farm on which they landed from the steamer. No. 27— W. Theidecke, 53 acres. Between these   two farms their tents were pitched, and under one of the gum trees their first

Sunday service held.  

There was practically two miles of  

river frontage and l ¼ mile road frontage on the Waterford side. Only four farms were totally forest ground, all the others being wholly or partially scrub. On the opposite side of the river the Queensland Cotton Co-operative and Manufacturing Co. occupied exactly the same stretch of river frontage. Seven of the farms were comprised within the two roads up to the church, and six on the other side. These six were held by the original selectors— Theidecke, Berndt, Tesch, and Schnei- der—and included the wholly forest farms. It will be noticed that the 13 farms were in the names of 11 members of the com- pany, with the. Rev. J. Haussman as sponsor, but not a benefiting member. These names were: Haussman, Schneider, Berndt, Muchow, Felchoff, Ebert, Klein- schmidt, Tesch, Holtzheimer, Theidecke, Thumm. and Eppinger. The latter two were supposed to have been the financial members of the group. Thumm was the only one who spoke English, for he had been in London several years—where he had married an English girl—previous to coming to the colony.    

How to get the members and their families, together with luggage and stores,

now occupied some detail. William Parker, who had a small sailing ketch, which   he used to term, "My ship, the Ann Parker," was the only person who knew the water route to the Logan, having been down several trips with other fami- lies; and, the Ann Parker being too small for such a large number, they hired, with the assistance of the Rev. Haussman, one of the river paddle steamers then plying   the Ipswich trade. The captain not know-   ing the route, Parker was got to act as   pilot. After this for some years the Ann     Parker traded regularly to the river.     Everything went well, and the party land-  

ed on Berndt's selection. A small flood

had occurred on January 23. No time   was lost in erecting shelters, but this was  

hardly accomplished before rain again set in, resulting in the second flood within

seven weeks at the end of March.

Like many other families, their stock

of supplies ran short, so some had to be procured for a certainty; and, as waiting for the supplies by the river

cutter ordered to be forwarded was of uncertain arrival, Messrs. Schneider, Lotz, and Kleinschmidt, decided to visit the   city, and obtained as much flour as they could carry.    

Many other families were in the same dire position and had to do the same, but as we are not dealing with them, their names do not appear herein.

These three lost no time in the city,  

One day going the next day returning was   the limit ; but empty handed and heavy  

laden travelling was vastly different as they found out. So their return brought them at darkness to the residence of a fellow new chum named James Trikey within half a mile of the ferry. Here they spent the night. On the other side of the track and almost opposite, resided Arthur O'Keefe. This was on the hillside

opposite the swamp in what is now   Reigeling's paddock, at that time one of the three farms of James Moloney's selection, which he afterwards sold to   C. Beetham who held the post office opened and designated by the postal authorities the Logan Agricultural Reserve office in 1864. John Graham was the mailman, who afterwards held an hotel licence for premises in Stanley- street, near the bridge. At Moloney's road corner on the opposite side, O'Shea had his hut, and further back stood Jeremiah Dunn's habitation. Some time   afterwards, he moved over the river op- posite the lagoon on the allotment near where old man and Frau Lietzow lived, where he had a butcher's shop. Before getting to the ferry, you had the Leo family. Crossing the ferry and landing, in the scrub close to the river you found   an eccentric little man called Patrick   Macnamara—otherwise Paddy Mac. We

are now on the highroad to the German pocket, right along Hinchcliffe's fence  

line. The German names previously  

given constituted the pocket as cut down the centre. On the other half and start-    

ing from Slack's Creek, we had J. Harri- son, J. Gillbanks and T. Perung, three farms ; M. O'Donnell, four farms ; Hinch- cliffe and Sons four farms ; J. Wallin,  

one farm (only two married men in that   crowd then), whilst on the other side of the river and starting from the Cotton Company's boundary we had T. Lillis, whose farm abutted on to Slack's Creek ;  

on the other side of the creek we had the farm of R. Noseworthy; then came J. H. Ferris, and W. Jameson (the rail- way bridge just crosses the corner of this farm); H. Millan, R. Lewellen, T.

Lobson, and Beeseley ; A. O'Keefe:        

J. Moloney, 3 farms; Patrick Leo, and   then the Waterford ferry. J. H. Ferris  

met his death by drowning in Slack's     Creek, at Markwell's corner (Slack's) and

was buried above the water's edge, near the road. It is his ghost that many say they have seen. The floods of 1864 upset Waterman, and Stone became his succes- sor towards the end of the year. A ferry  

punt was afterwards started (which had been built by Waterman). After Stone's  

successor had retired, Peter Burke took up the running, and then came Parker,

who was the last to row the boat across, in 1876. The present bridge was built in that year by Mr. Robertson, who com- pleted the work in six weeks—though it has weathered storm and flood, over and under, for 38 years.      

Everything now being again bright, a   division of the Bethania land had to be     decided amongst the heads of families,   each one choosing for himself the   amount of ground—which mostly runs     from 10 or 12, acres. This resurvey was carried out by J. H. Hinchcliffe and his brother Verdon. Later on with his other brother Joel, he surveyed all the farms from Holmview down towards the junc-  

tion of the Logan and Albert rivers.    

All the new arrivals got on friendly terms with each other, especially those

from the Cotton Company's side. This      

led to Matthew and Verdon Hinchcliffe opening up an English school for those new arrivals, which was held in Holtz- heimer's house and later in the church. Differences arose amongst the Lutheran family themselves as to the advisability of learning the English language, and it was agreed to discontinue the teaching to the great disappointment of many.    

Church service was first held in the  

open, and then in Schneider's house, and subsequently in Holtzheimer's. Pastor   Haussmann and Pastor Schirmeister (of  

the Wickham-terrace Church) occasionally   visited the settlement, and held services.   It was at the latter's house that Herman   Momberger and Kasper Schulz took sacra- ment from Pastor Schirmeister after com- mitting the murder of Pedler Bode, on August 27, 1865, at their hut, near where the railway gates cross the road at Holm- view. It was for an amount of about 3/ which they owed him and they at the time, had not the money—hence the deed, which was not found out for six weeks afterwards. In the following year   they built their first church—a slab and shingle structure, near the present brick edifice. The railway passes over the site now. It was at afterwards used as a school. Mr. A. Kleinschmidt was the builder. The brick church was erected in 1872. Mr. Lindow was the brickmaker, and the bricks were made within a stone's throw of the building, the hole made by the exca- vated clay making an excellent pond for


Holtzheimer, Kleinschmidt, Ebert, and Huth's ducks and geese. When the two former pastors did not attend Mr. Schnei-   der took precedence, with Mr. Berndt as lieutenant. Later on Pastor Helmuth   took charge, and to the present day seve- ral others have had the care of the souls, which is now in the hands of Pastor Theile.

Mr. Berndt left about the mid-seventies, and with his famiiy went to Rosewood, where another German settlement was taking place—and put on the robes. With later arrivals came other religious views, and many joined the Apostolic Church. Pastor Niemeyer is the head of that sect.

The Rev. J Haussman selected land for himself at the German Pocket—being the land between the Logan and Albert rivers, near the Beenleigh original town- ship and known as Eagleby, was, and is by many to-day, known as Philadelphia, ln later years many of the original settle- ment (Bethany} found that they were too cramped, and for other reasons that need not be stated here sought fresh pastures. Many new immigrants were arriving, so   the rev. gentleman sought out and peopled Elkana, on the south side of the Albert River. It is now known as Alberton. From his residence at Eagleby he extended   his ministrations over the Logan, Albert, and Nerang districts. In later years his parishioners bought the Good Templars' Hall in Beenleigh, and converted it into a church. with parsonage added. This was the first Good Templars' lodge in the colony. and was opened on March 17, 1873.

He continued in his ministrations until the time of his death in 1904, at Been- leigh, aged 91 years. The rev. gentleman passed away a week or so before he was to have been publicly decorated with the   insignia of the Black Eagle, for his past services to the Fatherland—the highest honour which the Emperor of Germany could confer upon him.