3 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections
Dr. Patterson's new Appointment.
Dr S. W. Patterson has resigned the position of director of the Walter and Eliza Hall Research Institute, Melbourne, in order to take up the post of physician and invesitgator to Duff House Hospital, in the United Kingdom. This hospital is devoted to investigation and treatment of digestive diseases and diseases of metabolism - particularly diabetes - with insulin. Dr. Patterson is son of Mr. Thomas Patterson, of East Malvern, and grandson of the late Alexander Patterson, of St Germains, Cranbourne, one of the pioneer station-owners of Westernport district. Educated at Scotch College, Dr. Patterson passed to Melbourne University with a resident scholarship at Ormond College. During his course be obtained flrst-class honours in chemistry, physiology, and medicine, winning tbe exhibition in chemistry and physiology. He qualified in 1904, and acted as resident medical officer at the Melbourne and Children's hospitals. In 1907 Dr. Patterson ob- tained bis M.D. degree by a thesis on the utilisation of calcium in tho body. Subse- quently he practised in the 'Western dis- trict of Victoria, and went to England in 1912 to carry out further post-graduate study. Dr. Patterson was appointed Heit Memorial research fellow, and worked at University College, London, on experi- mental diabetes end the mechanics of the heart. Then followed the war, and ser- vice in France with the Australian Volun- tary Hospital and No. 5 General Hospital, Rollen. He was appointed director of the Walter and Eliza Hall Memorial Institute in 1919. Dr. Patterson assumed duty in December of that year, and became also physician to out-patients at Melbourne Hospital. His new duties will include the control of laboratories of investigation and treatment of patients in wards.