Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

No corrections yet


Welcome Warm

As Weather


BRISBANE, Wednesday.-In above normal temperatures, the Queen to-day spent a busy 12-hour day which began with a service at St. John's Cathedral and ended with a Civic Ball at City-Hall.

Queenslanders turned out in tens of thousands to give the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh a welcome that was as warm' as# the


The temperature was in the 80s for most of the day, and reached its maximum of 88 degrees just after noon. This was nearly six degrees above

normal for March.

"fhe Queen used a cream parasol to shade her from the sun's rays, and managed to look cool in a lime-green short-sleeved frock with white accessories.

More than 6,000 people from 30 parishes worshipped with the Royal couple at St. John's Cathedral this morn-

ing. They were 15 minutes late arriving.


There was a last-minute change in the position of the Royal chairs, at the request of an equerry, so that the Queen could follow her usual prac- tice of worshipping among her


.The chairs originally had been between the choir stalls and the High Altar.

FtAver than 2,000 people could be seated in the incom pleted cathedral, but more than 4,000 others stood in the intense heat. Many collapsed.

The Archbishop of Brisbane. Dr. R. C. Halse, escorted the Queen and the Duke into the cathedral. The Governor of Queensland, Sir John Laverack, read the first lesson and the Duke read the second lesson-the Epistle to the Phillipians, Chapter 4,

Verses 4-8.


The Royal couple then drove to Parliament House for an investiture and a parlia- mentary luncheon.

At the investiture, the Queen knighted the State president of the R.S.L., Sir Raymond Huish. Most touch- ing decoration was the presen- tation of the Order of the British Empire to a blind cattle-breeder from the Dar- ling Downs, Mr. James Scrymgeour.

Mr. Scrymgeour, who is well known at Sydney Royal Shows, was led before the Queen by his wife, who curt

sied while her husband, cane in hand,'snapped to attention and bowed.

Mr. Scrymgeour, overcome by the occasion, was shaking visibly. The Queen pinned the award to his lapel, and he lightly ran his fingers over it.

Then he snapped to atten- tion again and bowed. " The Queen stepped forward and shook Mr. Scrymgeour's hand. She talked earnestly Jo him for more than a minute, still holding his hand.


Among 60 awards made by the Queen was that of the Air Force Cross to Squadron Leader Peter Raw, D.F.C., for his participation in the recent London-Christchurch air race.

After the investiture, the Queen went to the Parlia- mentary dining rooms for a luncheon of cold turkey, ham, and salad.

In reply to the Royal Toast, proposed by the Premier, Mr. V. C. Gair, and seconded by the Leader of the Opposition, Mr. G. F. N. Nicklin, the Queen said:

'This great State "of Queensland undoubtedly has a bright future. For in the enormous natural resources

of your broad and fruitful] lands, and in the variety of their produce, you have the foundation for enduring pro- gress and prosperity,

"But by far your strongest asset is to be found in the strength of character and in the moral integrity of your


After the luncheon the Queen and the Duke went to the Exhibition Ground, where 9,000 secondary school children gave a display and formed tableaux while 65,000 of their schoolmates and some parents cheered them lustily.


To-night the Royal couple attended the Civic Ball at City Hall.

The 1,200 guests were on their best behaviour. There was no staring and everybody


Between dances they retired to two courtyards and drank soft drinks from cardboard cups.

The City Council spent more than £1,000 on furnish- ing the restroom for the Queen and the Duke.

The room was supplied with iced champagne and a refrigerator containing liquor -the only liquor at the ball. THROUGH BARRIERS The Royal couple left at 10.40 p.m., one hour after they arrived.

The crowd in King George Square outside City hall burst through the barricades in its enthusiasm as the Royal car moved off.

Police and soldiers linked arms and held the crowd back.

Digitisation generously supported by
Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation
Digitisation generously supported by