Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

No corrections yet



Towns Still Cut


Floods in the north-west have fallen and rivers are within their banks almost everywhere, but some towns were still isolated.

The Deputy-Premier, Mr. Bad deley, said yesterday that inquir- ies were being made into condi- tions in the Moree district.

If necessary, he would ask the Premier, Mr. McKell, to authorise the Flood Relief Committee, which was set up last June to administer relief in north coast areas, to alle- viate distress in the arcas flooded this week.

The north-western area was carry-

ing 4.338,000 sheep and 130,000 cattle, according to Agriculture De-

partment returns.

Latest reports suggest that stock losses have been comparatively light because flood warnings gave graziers time to move stock to higher ground, except around Pallamallawa, where 12 inches of rain on Monday night caused deep floods within two hours.

'Phone Lines Down

Many hundreds of miles of tele- phone lines are still out of order in

the flooded areas.

The Superintendent of Telephones, Mr. P. W. Ferris, said last night that technicians and materials were yes- terday sent from Sydney to help re-

store connections.

All trunk lines ending at Moree were working, he said, except for the connection between Moree and Tam- worth.

The whole system should be work- ing normally within a week, he added.

The officer in charge of Moree police, Inspector Thomas, said yester- day that all danger was over.

About 150 people had been moved from 60 houses, and were staying with friends, in the Town Hall, or

in hotels.

Inspector Thomas said flood warn- ings appeared to have given plenty of time for slock to be moved from low ground, and no losses had been reported so far.

Roads and the railway had been seriously damaged, however, and

Moree was still isolated.

The Department ot Main Roads yesterday reported that the Gwydir River bridge on the Gwydir High- way at Moree would be repaired in about 10 days. Until then the road would be impassable.

The main road from Bingara to Narrabri was still impassable beyond the 24-mile peg.

Bingara Cut Off

Stock losses appear to have been very light around Bingara, where the Gwydr is quickly receding to its


Washaways on the roads have cut off Bingara from Warialda, Inverell,

and Moree.

Most serious damage has been to fencing, which is down for miles along the Gwydir, which reached its highest level since 1921.

The telephone line to Bingara was restored yesterday. It had been broken for three days.

Inverell police íeported last night that their flood warning had given time for stock to be moved to high ground, and no losses had been re- ported.

Gravesend Isolated

Gravesend, where 915 points fell on Monday night, will be isolated until next week. The bridge on the Wari- alda Road over the Gwydir has been damaged, and its approaches washed out for 50 yards on each side. Cul- verts and washaways have torn out on the road to Moree, and wash- aways have occurred.

Heavy stock losses are feared around Pallamallawa. Twelve inches of rain fell there on Monday night without warning, and there were big local floods before the Gwydir flood reached the district. There was no time to move stock on most proper- ties. Fences everywhere in the district have been washed away.

Forty families had to leave their houses in the township and spend three days crammed into the other 30 houses. Much furniture was damaged by water and mud.

Digitisation generously supported by
Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation
Digitisation generously supported by