Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists


Show 1 comment
  • annmanley 21 Oct 2013 at 14:45
    It appears that the vessel lost was the S. S. Nimbin. And full names of the seven lost were were: William James Bysantson, Ernest Wilfred Carlson, Charles George Chapman, William Gorry, Ernest Walter Hallett, Nils Hulton, and Archibald McAllister.

Add New Comment

3 corrections, most recently by annmanley - Show corrections


The survivors were landed in Sydney late last night.

The following list was issued by the Navy Department :—



ARTHUR NICKLEN, able seaman, 3 Rest- haven Road, Hurstville, fractured right arm.

EMIL ANDERSEN, able seaman, 131 Old Canterbury Road, Dulwich Hill, injuries to

back and head.

CHARLES CARTWRIGHT, able seaman, 95 Garrett Street, Maroubra, spinal injuries.

JOHN REYNOLDS, boatswain, 12a Green-   acre Road, Hurstville, fractured kneecap.


STUART KENNEDY, first engineer, 17 Withers Street, Arncliffe.

THOMAS HUMPHREY, second mate, 11 Bridgeview Avenue, Crow's Nest.

FREDERICK WHELAN, second engineer, 3 Vernon Street, Balmain.

EDWARD GREEN, fourth engineer, North   Sydney.

WILLIAM PRY, able seaman, 5a Riverside Crescent, Marrickville.

WALTER NICHOLSON, able seaman, 7 Ida Street, Hurlstone Park.

CHRIS BANKS, able seaman, 27 Balmain Road, Leichhardt.

DAVID POWEL, cook, 5 Windsor Road, Merrylands.  

FREDERICK GOUGH, steward, 11 Margate Street, Ramsgate.


CAPTAIN W. BYSANTSON, master, 20 Cecil Street, Manly.

CHARLES CHAPMAN, first mate, 96 Deni- son Road, Petersham.

A. McALLISTER, third engineer, 33 Gros- venor Road, Lindfield.

E. CARLSON, greaser, 85 Cowper Street,


N. HULTON, greaser, 777 George Street, Sydney.

E. HALLETT, greaser, 36 Harrow Road,


L. GORRY, able seaman, 10 Bowral Street, Kensington.


The chief engineer, Mr. Kennedy, said last night :—

"The explosion occurred about 3.25 p.m. It     was deafening — terrific. I shall never forget


"Apparently it blew about a third of the ship into small parts.

We sank in three minutes. There was no

warning and no time to give orders — it was just every man for himself.

"The captain was in his cabin and the third mate was on the bridge. One of the engineers and a greaser were probably blown to bits. I was in the mess room, but before I knew   what had happened I found myself flounder- ing in the water. Most of us were clad only in singlet and trousers, but the water was not



Fortunately a smooth sea was running, and we clung to wreckage. The vessel vas carrying a full cargo, including many tons of three-ply, made up in bundles, and these made  

excellent rafts.

"We had a large number of pigs on board and they swam round our rafts squealing with terror. Some of them tried to get on the   rafts, but overbalanced and slipped off.

"I did not see any of the missing men. Poor chaps, they must have all been so seri- ously hurt that they could not make any effort

to save themselves."

"We kept an eye on one another while we floated on the rafts, but each man seemed to be comfortable while awaiting rescue," he


"We knew that it was only just a matter of time when a vessel would be sent out to

rescue us."

Shortly after the explosion we were sighted by a land plane and a little later by a sea- plane. The pilot of the seaplane landed on the water and signalled to us. He then

flew off towards the land.  

"We remained on the rafts about two and a half hours, when we were sighted by a vessel which made towards us. She came within 100 feet of us. She lowered boats, and took us on board. She brought us on to Sydney.  

Mr. Kennedy added that he had been at sea for 21 years. He was a member of the crew of a ship which caught fire in the English Channel some years ago, and he also served in the Navy in the last war.

When the rescue ship arrived at the wharf   ambulances were waiting to rush the injured men to hospital.

The uninjured men were sent to their homes in motor cars.

They were dressed in clothes which they had borrowed from members of the rescue ship, some of them having cast off parts of their clothing while clinging to tie rafts.  

Most of the members of the crew were old employees of the owners. Captain Bysantson had been with the company for about 30 years. The first mate, Mr. Chapman, had been with the company for about 20 years, and the third engineer, Mr. A. McAllister, had been in the company's employ on and off for a  

number of years.

Digitisation generously supported by
Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation
Digitisation generously supported by