Address by Dr. Micklem.
Before 25 dated panels, each representing a diocese formed in the last 100 years in Australia, a fascinating story of progress In spite of many obstacles was related by Dr. Micklem on Saturday night at a commemora- tive parish tea in St. James' Church of England Hall, West Kogarah. The progress that had been made, said Dr. Micklem, should be a stimulus to all Church people to meet modern difficulties. The story of Bishop Broughtons' work showed vividly what could
It was in Dr. Micklem's church, St. James', Sydney, that Broughton was installed into his episcopal seat as Bishop of Australia on June 5, 1836, during a service lasting five hours. This was the first time the Church of England in Australia had been equipped with the necessary machinery to carry on such a great work. Tile new colony had previously been under the direction of the Bishop of Calcutta, represented here by an archdeacon, who could not ordain ministers or act in authority on many matters which were waiting to be per-
Broughton's first visit to Australia was in 1829, when he was second archdeacon for Now South Wales, with only 12 clergy. This State then included Victoria and part of Queensland, and many long journeys were made by Broughton in his buggy to keep in touch with settlers. It took him three weeks in those days to travel from Albury to Sydney. It was on these long journeys that Broughton came to understand fully the spiritual starvation of his people. In many districts there were no churches, clergy, or schools. These facts weighed heavily on him. He feared a lapse into paganism unless more funds were provided by the Home Government. He received no encouragement to his appeals, and went back to London him- self In 1834 to press the needs of the Aus- tralian people, especially for education. Liberal gifts were made by several societies, but no additional clergy were offered him. At Broughton's request, and also Governor Bourke, the archdeaconry of New South Wales was formed into an Australian bishopric. Broughton was asked to accept this position, which he did, being consecrated in the Lam- beth Palace Chapel, Westminster. He then came back to Sydney, and on June 5, 1836, was installed in St. James'.
Other speakers were Canon A. H. Garnsey, of St. Paul's College, Sydney, who spoke on the progress made throughout the Australian dioceses, and the Rev. J. Bidwell, of St. Paul's Church of England, Redfern, who spoke on the call of the Church to the present genera- tion.