Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

14 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections





A warm welcome awaited the Australian airmen who were brought from England in the troopship Kaisar-i-Hind, and who landed in Sydney yesterday with other Australian sol- diers. Of the Kaisar-i-Hind's 374 men for this State nearly 300 had helped to win the

war as airmen or air mechanics. Nearly all the returned officers had served in the Aus- tralian Flying Corps. Better weather condi- tions could not have been desired at this time of the year for the reception at the wharf and the welcome at the Anzac Buffet.

The Queenslanders who came by the troop- ship, and who left by special train for Bris- bane during the morning, included Major General Sir T. W. Glasgow, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., Legion of Honour, and Croix de Guerre, with palms. The Major-General was recently in command of the First Australian Infantry Division in France.

Mr. James, Minister for Education, who re- presented the State Government, went to the wharf, accompanied by Captain Niesigh, to meet the flying men and the other soldiers. Several of the returned men spoke with ad- miration of the late Flight-Lieutenant Jack Weingarth, of Sydney, who was killed a few   months ago in England while carrying out his duties as an instructor.


Conspicuous among the officers were Briga- dier-General S. C. E. Herring, D.S.O., Croix de   Guerre, and Legion of Honour; Lieutenant-                 pire; Captain Roy King, Distinguished Flying Cross; Captain Gordon Campbell Wilson, M.C. and D.C.M.; Major Ray Morell, D.S.O.; Major Thomas George Millner, M.C; Captain Garnet Francis Malley, M.C; Captain Les. Hubert Holden, M.C.; Lieutenant Angus Herbert Boileau, M.C.; Lieutenant Charles Birtles, D.C.M. and M.M.; Lieutenant Leslie Whar- ton, M.C.; Lieutenant Eric E. de M. Wade,


The following officers also returned:—Major George Sydney Cook, Captain John William Wright, Captain Norman Clark, Captain Frank Augustus Chaffey, Captain Archie Sheridan Cockburn, and Lieutenants Leslie Antiss, J. P. G. Basclain, Chas. Lestock Boileau, Fredk. Sands Chapman, Philip Belmont Charley, Hugh P. Christie, Stewart Claydon, Edwin Charles Cork, Maxwell Thos. Cottam, Douglas William Cullam, Frank Cecil Cutler, Eric Robert Dibbs, Allan Edgar, Joseph Armitage Ellison, Frank Wm. Follett, Henry Parkes Howard, Nigel Borland Love, Royston Oliver, C. Mat- thews, Chas. Wm. Morgan, Geo. Arnold Mox- ham, Ralph Lionel Muncaster, Livingstone Gordon McKenzie, Fredk. Henry Pinnock, Frank Macquarie, H. Proctor, Stanislaus Leonard S Randall, Hector Wm. Ross, Jack Swales Shearston, Max Robert Shelley, Vin- cent G. M Sheppard, Edgar Leslie Spragg, Herbert Arthur J. Sturgeon, Albert Robson Trenholm, John Philip Trim, Clement Varley, Juliez Leonard Waterhouse, Arthur Stephens Whitehurst, Henry Arthur Wilkinson, Arthur Leonard C. Wynn, Roy Harold Youdale, Jack Andrew Robertson.

Among the decorated men were Corporal Air-mechanic William Bennett Campbell, M.M., Air-mechanic Herbert Francis Meaker, D.C.M., and Air-mechanic H.S. Raphael, M.M.

Chaplain George Merrick Long, Chaplain Keith Dixon Norman, Sister Ella Jennie Whiting, and Sister Kathleen May Turney came with the troopship. Sister Whiting had been four years in France, and Sister Turney two years in Salonica.


Brigadier-General Herring, who is a Sydney man, was a volunteer captain here in the 1st Regiment, afterwards the 21st, before the war, and went away with the rank of captain in December, 1914, with the 13th Battalion. He was wounded during the Gallipoli cam- paign, but remained on duty. He received the Legion of Honour before going to France, where he was awarded the D.S.O. and Croix de Guerre. In France he had charge of the 45th. Battalion, and was promoted last year to the charge of the 13th Infantry Brigade. The Brigadier-General was accompanied from England by his wife and little daughter.

Lieutenant-Colonel Oswald Watt, O.B.E., was formerly captain in the Scottish Rifles. In France when war broke out, he enlisted as in air mechanic in the French flying service.   Subsequently he joined the First Australian Flying Squadron, and took charge of it.

Captain Roy King, who wore the 1914-15 ribbon, in addition to the ribbon of the Dis- tinguished Flying Cross, is claimed as a Forbes man. Going from Sydney in 1915, he was then with the 12th Light Horse. His war service was in Egypt, Palestine, and France. It was not till July, 1917, that he took up flying in England. He was recommended for the Distinguished Flying Cross by General Birdwood, and the award followed in Septem- ber, 1918. Beyond saying that "he had been up many times and was wounded once," Cap- tain King declined to give any particulars of his sensational experiences as an airman. A brother officer supplied the information that Captain King held the third highest A.F.C. score for "downing Hun machines."

Major J S. Cook, who is a son of Sir Joseph Cook, Minister for the Navy, was met at the Buffet by Lady Cook. The young major was accompanied from England by his wife, who at the time of her marriage in Sydney was one of the nursing staff of Prince Alfred Hospital, and who now wears the French Palms of Honour as a nursing decora- tion. One of our first war brides, Sister Cook volunteered as a nurse soon after the depar- ture of her husband with the first contingent of Australians for Gallipoli. With the excep- tion of one visit to Sydney while on the nurs- ing staff of a transport, Sister Cook spent more than four years looking after, sick and wounded soldiers in Egypt, France, and Eng- land. She crossed into Germany shortly after the signing of the armistice.

Major Cook, whose brother, Captain Joseph Cook, is still on the other side, was twice wounded during the Gallipoli campaign. On account of injuries received at Lone Pine, he was invalided in 1916, and went back to active service, after a short rest in Sydney, in Sep- tember of the same year, and was in France up to the close of the war.

Major T. G. Millner, M.C., was met by his father, Mr. W. J. Millner, president of the Metropolitan Water Board. Enlisting shortly after the commencement of the war, this win- ner of the Military Cross went away as a lieu- tenant. A soldier brother, Sapper William Millner, is still waiting to come home. Lieu- tenant James Stokes Millner, civil engineer who was the first of Mr. W. J. Millner's sons to join the colours, went with the Austra- lians to Rabaul, and afterwards to Egypt. Re- turning to Sydney invalided, this young of- ficer died in April last, never having thrown off the effects of malarial fever contracted in New Guinea.

Lieut. Roy Youdale, of Ashfield, one of four brothers who went to the war from Sydney, and who was met by his father, Mr. J. B. You- dale, had two years and a half with the Aus- tralian Flying Corps. This flying man went over the Gorman lines many times, and came back from each flight without being wounded. His late brother, Captain Alfred Clarence You- dale, who died while on active service, was a flight commander, who, for bravery in Gal- lipoli and in France, was awarded the Milit- ary Cross, to which two bars were added.

Lieut. Stewart Claydon, whose two soldier brothers are still away, was met by his father, the Rev. Canon Claydon, of Concord. The young lieutenant has four years' active ser- vice to his credit.

Going away as a bugler with the 19th Bat- talion four years ago, when little over 16 years of age, Corporal Bronson Hanslow, of the Second Machine Gun Battery, who returned yesterday, is now 6ft in his stockings. In- valided to England after being wounded in the Gallipoli campaign, young Hanslow received many kindnesses at the hands of Earl Car- rington, a former Governor of New South Wales. He was met by his father, Mr. F. G. C. Hanslow.

Corporal-mechanic Harold Scholes, a nephew of Judge Scholes, went away four years ago with the Light Horse, and arrived in Egypt before being transferred to the Australian Flying Corps in France. Corporal Scholes

was abroad four years.

Flight-sergt. Inch, of Hornsby, one of the returned airmen, saw three years' service. While in the infantry in France he was wound- ed. His younger brother, Alfred George Inch, was killed at Passchendaele.

Digitisation generously supported by
Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation
Digitisation generously supported by