Visitors to the Botanic Gardens are familiar with the obelisk in memory of Allan Cunningham, the distinguished botanist and explorer, who for a time was superintendent of the Botanic Gardens. The monument was erected by some of his admirers in the year 1844. He had been buried in the Devonshire
Street Cemetery five years previously, and the recent opening of his brick grave brought to light a piece of the skull about, four inches in diameter, a piece of the large bone of the arm, and some other fragments. These were placed in a leaden casket, 10 inches long, five inches broad, and four inches deep, which was inserted in an excavation made in the upper portion of the obelisk, and the whole covered with a marble slab, which bears the following inscription in leaden lettering - The remains of Allan Cunningham were interred in the Devonshire Street Cemetery in July, 1839 from which they were reverently removed on the 25th May, 1901, and placed within this obelisk " His placing in the obelisk took place on 26th June instant.