DEATH OF CANON COLLETE
By the death of Canon James Christian Corlette, D O., which took place at 4 a.m. yesterday, at the rectory, Allt-street, Ashfield, the Church of England in Australasia has lost one of its best known clergymen. Of ripe erudition, manly eloquence, and a robust and pleasing personality, the reverend gentleman had endeared himself not only to the people nt Ashfield with whom he was asso- ciated for nearly 34 years), but also to other parishes, where his presence was always welcome. The late canon had been suffering for some time from in- ternal complications, and recently underwent an operation, which, it was hoped, would improve his condition. Some improvement was manifested for a few days, when other acute trouble set in, and death rapidly ensued. The cannon was the eldest son of the late James Corlette, formerly chief accoun- tant of the A.A. Company. He was born at Stroud, near Port Stephens, in this colony, in 1837, and waa educated by Dean Cowper, in company with the late Canon Kemmis, the late Hon. R. H. D. White, M.L.C., Messrs S. Mitchell and C. Cowper. He went to England at the age of 17, and attended school there until he qualified for admission to Exeter College, Oxford. He took his B.A. degree in 1861,his M.A. in 1863 and was made a Doctor of Divinity in 1879. During
the long vacations he travelled to the continent, chiefly in Germany, where he largely increased his mental culture, and became proficient in the German language. He received the curacy of Stoke-Bruerne in Northamptonshire, and was ordained deacon by the Bishop of Peterborough in 1861. He was raised to the priesthood in 1862 by the same bishop, and next year returned to New South Wales. His first parish in this country was at Jam- beroo, where he remaimed from 1863 to 1867. In 1867 he took charge of St John the Baptist's Church at Ashfield, and remained in the parish from that time till his death, except for two holiday visits to Eng- land. In 1868 he was appointed precentor of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney, being contemporary with the late Sir Montague Younger, the organist. He retained the precentorship till 1884. At the memorial service to the late Mr Younger, Canon Corlette referred in kindly terms to his long association with the late esteemed organist. In 1893 Canon Corlette was chaplain to the Bishop of Sydney, and became rural dean of Petersham in 1815. He was appointed a canon of St Andrew's Cathedral 1897. For a brief period (1889-90) he was precentor and canon of St Saviour s Cathedral, Goulburn. The late canon's classical attainments led to his appoint- ment at various times as examiner in classics at the Sydney University, and his deep knowledge of the German literature and language caused him to be frequently consulted in those matters. As a preacher the canon was eloquent and convincing. He generally spoke without notes, and he was frequently sought for special occasions in many parishes. His contributions to religious literature were marked bv research and grace of composition. He leaves a widow (the eldest daughter of the late Sir William Montagu Manning, L.L.D), formerly chancellor of the Sydney University and seven children. His four sons are Dr. Cyrl Corlette, Hubert (architect practising in London), Ewan and James Montagu; and his daughters are Isabel, Dorothy, and Eugenia. Dr Hinder attended the canon during his illness
The funeral will take place to-day at 4p.m. There will be morning celebrations of the Holy Communion at 7. 15 and 11 a.m. Services will be heldin the church, and will be continued at the grave in the cemetery attached to the church. The Archbishop and many of the clergy are expected to attend, and the Sunday school, the Melanesian boys, and others in whom the late canon was greatly interested have made preparations for the service
When he waa dying Canon Collette sent touching messages to the people of his parish, the church workers, the Sunday school scholars and teachers and the Melanesian boys. The late canon was a fellow of St Paul's College and a councillor of the King's School and the Church of England Girls'