WHEN Andrew Cunningham, a Scottish banker, built
Lanyon he described it as "very strong to resist the attacks of the bushrangers."
A hundred and seven
years have passed and today, Lanyon is still standing strong.
The rambling homestead has not changed much since the main house was was finished in 1859.
But over the years a model village has grown up on the 10,000-acre property near Tharwa,
Tucked away under trees within easy walking dis tance of the homestead, but set in its own garden, is the roomy house of the manager, Mr Murdoch Geikic and his family.
Cottages for station workers, a dairy, machin ery shed, stores for fod der, all immaculately white and green, are dotted around the pad docks.
The land was taken up in 1834 by three English men — James Wright, his brother William and their friend J. H. M. Lanyon.
James Wright built the first house — a sturdy square structure with a bell tower from which a bronze bell siifl swings. He used convict labour and housed the men in a jail which stands a short distance from the drive
way at the front of the present homestead.
In 1847 Andrew Cunningham bought Lan yon, built the main home stead, laid out formal gardens and planted the trees, mostly pines, which shelter the house today.
The Cunningham family lived on the property and cherished it for 80 years. It was sold to Harry
Osborne, and four years later to the late Mr T. A. Field, who used it as a country home for himself and his family.
The house, made com fortable with every mod ern device, still has the serene atmosphere of a century ago. Ceilings are lofty, large rooms open to verandahs, cedar doors have louvre shutters to close for security or against the heat of the
Tapestry pictures worked by Mrs Field, one for each of her five children, hang in the hall and drawing room.
Furniture is upholstered in strong but muted blues, golds and greens to set oil' the- gleam of mahog any and solid silver.
And from every window there are long vistas across paddocks where sheep, cattle and horses graze to the Murrumbidgee River or mountain ranges.
hi the trophy room at the back of the house ribbons won by champion horses from Lanyon
line the walls.