The Australasian Sketcher with Pen and Pencil (Melbourne, Vic. : 1873 - 1889)
Find an issue
- Click a decade link below to see a list of available issues for that decade
- Click a year link to update the calendars below
1. Select a year to see which months have issues in the following month calendar.
Want to be alerted to new content? Subscribe to one of the web feeds below.
Cite this title: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-title49
The Australasian Sketcher with Pen and Pencil was a monthly magazine published by the proprietors of The Argus between 1873 and 1889.
It was issued at monthly intervals according to shipping movements between Australia and Britain. The magazine contained many illustrations, engravings, and articles which capture "the picturesque phases of our public and social life of notable objects and events in Australia and New Zealand". It provides an important pictorial account of life in the colonies before the wide spread use of photography. The Sketcher employed many prominent artists, including political cartoonist Tom Carrington and illustrator Julian Ashton, and published Arthur Streeton's first black and white work on 24 January 1889. In 1880 it briefly moved to a fortnightly publication which lasted until 1882 before returning to a monthly journal. In 1889, it merged with The Australasian.See the full Wikipedia entry
- The Australasian sketcher with pen and pencil [electronic resource]
- Melbourne : Printed and published by H. George, 1873-1889.
- Contains articles and engravings on Australia, chiefly Victoria and South Australia, and New Zealand. Includes some material on Fiji, New Guinea and the Pacific Islands
An earlier issue, designated "Country edition" and also numbered Vol. 1, no. 1, was issued on 15 Apr. 1873.
Title from PDF title screen.
Digitised as part of the "Digitised newspapers and more" which allows access to historic Australian periodicals.
Supplements accompany some issues.
Also available in print and on microfilm.
Electronic reproduction. Canberra, A.C.T., : National Library of Australia, 2012 (Digitised newspapers and more). 1873-1889. Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Life Dates
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (19 Apr. 1873)-v. 17, no. 252 (26 Dec. 1889)
- Later Title
- Australasian (Melbourne, Vic.)
- Australia Victoria Melbourne.
Where can I find copies?
The National Library of Australia acknowledges the use of newspapers and microfilm owned by the State Library of Victoria for the digitisation of this title.