German athletes Dr Otto Peltzer and Gerhardt Emton with American athlete Leo Lermond at the door of a train, New South Wales, 30 January 1930, 1 Fairfax Corporation

User activity

Share to:
View the summary of this work
Fairfax Corporation
Work ID

4 images of this work

Find a specific edition
Thumbnail [View as table] [View as grid] Title, Author, Edition Date Language Format Libraries

User activity

e.g. test cricket, Perth (WA), "Parkes, Henry"

Separate different tags with a comma. To include a comma in your tag, surround the tag with double quotes.

Be the first to add a tag for this work

Be the first to add this to a list

Comments and reviews

What are comments? Add a comment

1 user comments or reviews for this work

Add a comment

2017-09-19 07:54:51.0

This group of photos was taken at Sydney's Central Station on the 30 January 1930. They depict visiting overseas athletes (left to right) Leo Lermond (U.S.A.), Gerhard Emton (Germany), and Otto Peltzer (Germany) alighting from the overnight train from Melbourne, where they had competed at the Australian Athletics Championships on 25 and 27 January.

A cropped version of photo #2 was published in that day's edition of The Sun:

See also this photo of Lermond by himself taken on the same occasion:
and this photo of Peltzer by himself carrying a swag of newspaper cuttings:

Lermond, the then current (1929) U.S.A national 1 mile champion had arrived in Sydney on 2 January, while Peltzer, who was the world-record holder for the 880 yards, 1000 metres, and 1500 metres at the time, arrived independently two days later. Peltzer's 17-year-old protégé Gerhard Emton (whose real name was Gerhard Obermüller) joined him in Sydney of 14 January.

During their stay in Sydney all three competed in a number of events against the local athletes, before departing to Melbourne on 18 January. Following this return to Sydney on 30 January, the three departed aboard the Ulimaroa the next day for a short tour of New Zealand.

Show comments and reviews from Amazon users