Research and Reports advanced search
Use Advanced Search to improve your results when searching the Research & Reports category.
Check out Related Pages for more information.
1. In the Search box at the top of the Trove homepage, enter a keyword for what you want to search. Ensure that the keyword is spelled correctly – Trove will search exactly what is entered.
2. Select Research & Reports from the Advanced Search drop-down menu underneath the green magnifying glass button. Trove will generate filter options, followed by a list of search results containing your keyword.
3. Add or change keyword/s in the filter options to modify your search. You need to enter a keyword into at least one of these filters, and you can also use multiple filters:
- Keyword - Search for the word/s anywhere
- Title - Search for the word/s in the title of the magazine, newsletter or article only
- Creator - Search for the name/s of the creator, including author, editor, illustrator, etc
- Subject - Search for the word/s in the subject headings
For each filter used, select from the drop-down menus:
- All of these words - Get results containing every word
- Any of these words - Get results containing one or more word
- The phrase - Get results containing the words together as a phrase
- Without these words - Do not get results containing one or more word
4. Enter keyword/s and/or select from the drop-down menus in the boxed filter options to further limit your search results and improve the accuracy of your search:
- Australian content - Created in Australia, by an Australian or about Australia
- ISBN - International Standard Book Number
- ISSN - International Standard Serial Number
- Public tag - Tags added publicly to the Trove record
- Format - Type of publication eg. article, book, thesis
- Places - Australian state or country of publication
- Titles - Journal or report title that the item is from
- Funder - Includes Australian Research Council (ARC) and National Health and Medical Research Council (NMRC)
- Access - If it is online, freely available or otherwise
- Rights - If it is in copyright, or has other rights or licence statements
- Article category - Type of item
- Year range - Date of publication
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Language - Includes Austlang codes
- Illustration type - Type of illustration (if item contains illustrations)
- Word count - Quantity of words
- Organisations - Organisation where the item is held. You can enter the name of your chosen organisation into the field and select it from the menu. To search for digitised articles and reports, select Trove Digital Library.
5. When you have made your filter selections, select the green magnifying glass button underneath the boxed filter options on the right hand side. Trove will generate a filtered search results list.
6. You can further Refine your Results by selecting from the menu on the right hand side of the results list.
7. To see the most recent results, change the Sort by option to Year (latest first).
Be aware of the following:
- Some online repositories in universities might not have their own NUC code, and won't be listed in the Collections field
- If you select a digital repository you might be excluding physical copies of theses from your results
- The institution holding the thesis is not always the institution that produced the research
- The institution that produced the thesis is sometimes listed in the Trove record as contributor, but can also be found under publisher, subject or notes