Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newspapers not already digitised or in process of being digitised

Trove user
    Yes when will we hear of any proposal to digitise the Geelong Advertiser after 1856. This is the newspaper of the second-biggest city in the second-biggest state, and population base probably about 10th in the country, so arguably it should have been in the Top 10 in any priority list. Lovely to see all the Smalltown Courier type of papers up now, but they don't cut it compared to a heavyweight like the GA.

Read here for all the blurb on how and why certain papers are chosen, but it pretty much comes down to convincing someone to pay ...

http://www.nla.gov.au/content/selection-policy

With regard to your point about so many Smalltown Couriers in Victoria being included, I am noticing that these newspapers are all being included for quite narrow date ranges around the World War 1 period. From this, I am guessing that there has been a decision to get as much WW1 content for Victoria into Trove in preparation for the WW1 centenary. Can anyone confirm this theory that this is a deliberate strategy of SLV (or someone)?

Hi Kerry,

Yes, there is a deliberate strategy to get as many WW1 Victorian newspapers available through Trove in preparation for the centenary.

For everyone else, please read the selection policy that Kerry has linked to. Also, if you would like to suggest a title for digitisation this can be done here
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Is there a mailing list, blog or whatever that I can follow to be aware of what new newpapers (or additional date ranges for existing newspapers) are being added to Trove?

I have been fiddling with a little program that calls the Trove API and it uses some internal arrays for each newspaper and it would simplify my life if I knew when new content was being added.

Also, where in the Forum is the most appropriate place for discussing the Trove API? Do we need a separate section as I would imagine it would be more likely to attract folk who want to talk technical stuff, which might not be of interest to Trove users more generally? I have a few questions about newspaper querying via the API. Indeed, I would not mind constructing some documentation in relation to the expressive power of the browser interface and the API - it is not obvious to me that every query that can be expressed through the browser can be expressed through the API.

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

There is an RSS feed - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/rss/titles - that lets you know when new titles are added

With discussing the API in the forums, we are revising the layout of the forums, so we will add a section for discussing the API.

Cheers
    Mark
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Thanks for both!

Hi Trove team

Do you have any indication as to when the 'Geelong Advertiser' Newspaper for 1957-1958 will be digitised? In for that matter, any Geelong newspaper for that two year period?

Its a missing part of the important Geelong jigsaw newspaper wise. I previously requested these papers a couple of years ago at least along with other family researchers, but as yet they remain outstanding. The Trove response at the time was that it had not been funded, but that it was in the queue to be digitised.

I hope that this period can finally be covered very soon.

Many thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards, Bonzer (Neil)

Prolific poster
    Most newspaper titles on Trove do not extend past 1954, and are unlikely to be extended until after the year 2025.

The fact that most newspapers are limited to 1954 and earlier has nothing to do with Trove or the National Library of Australia, it is due to copyright law. The only newspapers/magazines on Trove beyond 1954 are those where the copyright holder has granted permission for them to be included in Trove.

Following 2004 Australia changed its copyright law from 50 years to 70 years. Therefore, for example, 1955 newspapers cannot be added until after 2025, unless the copyright holder grants their permission, as is the case with the Australian Womens Weekly, Canberra Times, etc.

So Trove would have to wait until at least 2029 before adding the issues of the 'Geelong Advertiser' that you require.

This issue has been discussed before in the Trove Forums, e.g.:
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/forum/showth...imited-to-1954

The reasons are also documented in the Help pages:
    http://help.nla.gov.au/trove/using-t...round#anchor-3
    Last edited by Spearth; 23-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.

I also need papers to about 1930 and others like Kurri Kurri

There is the RSS feed that details the new titles added, but is it still possible to subscribe to the Newspaper Titles Coming page? It specifies on Trove Help's "Keeping up with items recently added to Trove’s Digitised newspapers zone" page that you just click on "web feed link" and then click "Subscribe to this web feed". Does this web feed service still exist or is the only way of keeping up to date with newspapers is by watching the RSS feed for newspapers added (rather than coming)?