Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newspapers not already digitised or in process of being digitised

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Then I fear that you will be disappointed as the Maitland Mercury will almost certainly be it. I don't think that the Chronicle or the Pilot were that early (both from memory, beginning in the 1860s and both incomplete) and, as important as Newcastle was in the scheme of things, at this time, Maitland was to Newcastle as Parramatta was to Sydney.

As to the Post and the Star, they are post 1954 so won't be digitalized. I cast my mind back to when I joined TROVE. From NSW only the Maitland Mercury and the Sydney Gazette were scanned - nothing else - I appreciate anything that is added, however it gets there and thank whoever is responsible for doing it or maintaining the whole kit and kaboodle. I rarely look at what's about to be added as it won't make it come any faster! I would hate to make assumptions about why particular groups or libraries haven't appeared to have made any effort to get a newspaper scanned.

Jane
    Thanks for the info.

I also need papers to about 1930 and others like Kurri Kurri

Trove user
    I would have thought given the importance of Newcastle in Australian and NSW history that the relevant papers would be high on the priority list perhaps there are a variety of funding sources that can be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by IainStuart View Post
    I would have thought given the importance of Newcastle in Australian and NSW history that the relevant papers would be high on the priority list perhaps there are a variety of funding sources that can be looked at.
    I totally agree.

Trove addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IainStuart View Post
    I also totally agree and I sympathise as I do have access to them but would love to be able to search them easily ... but the same could also be said of the Goulburn Herald (which goes back into the 1840s) and any of the New England papers (especially the Armidale Express). I also wish that there had been an earlier paper in Newcastle that predated the Maitland Mercury. Making decisions about prioritising must be very difficult for those who have to decide.

It will be interesting to see the new correction list which I expect will arrive at the beginning of the new financial year to see what has been decided Australia wide.

Jane

The list of selected titles is updated semi-regularly by the ANDP team, usually in June/July to add in the titles for the next financial year, and in between times if there is a major title to be added. Not all titles that are digitised will be included in this list.

The list has recently been updated, however, with the titles currently selected for digitisation in 2012/13 (you will need to scroll towards the end of the page to see them).

Some that may be of interest are:
    NSW Goulburn evening penny post
    NSW The Newcastle chronicle
    SA Kapunda Herald and Northern Intelligencer
    QLD Longreach Leader
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Thanks for the update. That list is fantastic to see, and it fills most of the major geographic holes in coverage, especially the Newcastle and regional WA and SA papers. There's some there that I hadn't expected to see, such as the Westralian Worker, Norseman Times, Port Lincoln Times, Port Pirie Recorder, and Renmark Pioneer - all of which is really exciting for a big nerd like me.

Disappointing, however, that there's still no Geelong papers post-1856: this seems like a really strange void to still have around.
    Last edited by Rebecca; 28-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Trove addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mraadgev [NLA] View Post
    Some that may be of interest are:
    NSW Goulburn evening penny post
    NSW The Newcastle chronicle
    SA Kapunda Herald and Northern Intelligencer
    QLD Longreach Leader
    Thanks for the update Mark. What a lovely selection!...so much from Newcastle and all those Goulburn papers too. I'll patiently wait for something - anything - from the Northern Tablelands - perhaps next financial year or a pleasant surprise sometime sooner.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by KerryRaymond View Post
    You can view the ones being worked on in 2011-2012 here:

http://www.nla.gov.au/ndp/selected_n...re_Titles.html

where you will also find a link on what you might do to try to get other newspapers added.
    Thanks for this! I cannot believe I have found this site - I have been after a copy of the perth daily news from the early 1980s - I cannot wait until you tackle those

Many thanks to everyone involved in this project
    Last edited by vjames [NLA]; 07-08-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Advertising links are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by allanhobbs View Post
    Here, here. I also think there are many items that miss the list. I guess someone forgets to update it.
    I agree with you Allan. I think it was not updated for a while.
    Last edited by cbryce [NLA]; 09-08-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Advertising links are not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Thanks for the update. That list is fantastic to see, and it fills most of the major geographic holes in coverage, especially the Newcastle and regional WA and SA papers. There's some there that I hadn't expected to see, such as the Westralian Worker, Norseman Times, Port Lincoln Times, Port Pirie Recorder, and Renmark Pioneer - all of which is really exciting for a big nerd like me.

Disappointing, however, that there's still no Geelong papers post-1856: this seems like a really strange void to still have around.
    Needs to be done