Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newspapers not already digitised or in process of being digitised

Newspapers not already digitised or in process of being digitised

Is there a list of newspapers that are to be added to the list to be done. If not can there be and can they have an expected month next to them that they may start.

I am interested in the newspapers in the Hunter Valley region at this stage, such as the Maitland Mercury, Newcastle Herald (also post & Star) and others in the area.

Regards
    Allan

You can view the ones being worked on in 2011-2012 here:

http://www.nla.gov.au/ndp/selected_n...re_Titles.html

where you will also find a link on what you might do to try to get other newspapers added.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryRaymond View Post
    You can view the ones being worked on in 2011-2012 here:

http://www.nla.gov.au/ndp/selected_n...re_Titles.html

where you will also find a link on what you might do to try to get other newspapers added.
    I have just emailed the Newcastle library to ask them to support the digitisation program but I am sure that has already been done by Trove and they probably are just not interested like many other libraries going by the lack of credits at the bottom of the web page. Most of them are willing to wait 20 years or so until it is done for free. There are plenty of opportunities open to the individual libraries to obtain outside sponsorship for the project. But its probably too hard for them and it goes in the too hard basket.

Allan

Trove addict
    Quote Originally Posted by allanhobbs View Post
    ... they probably are just not interested like many other libraries going by the lack of credits at the bottom of the web page. Most of them are willing to wait 20 years or so until it is done for free. Allan
    Possibly this is a little harsh.

But on a brighter note I have heard that the the Chronicle and its successor the Newcastle Morning Herald (but not the Pilot as far as I know) are close - even though they're not shown on the TROVE list of selected titles. There are a few Newcastle millionaires who could also possibly be asked to be a little bit more generous with their donations. The cost for Newcastle to 1954 will be nearly half a million dollars.
    Jane
    Last edited by spison; 22-06-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: corrected the cost

The funding of digitisation of newspapers is not limited to libraries. Trove ain't proud; they will take the money from anyone who can raise it! If you know of plenty of opportunities to obtain outside sponsorship, then I suggest you go raise that money and you can have the Newcastle Herald etc digitised and available through Trove.

For example, the digitisation of "The Dawn" was funded by a bunch of individuals and organisations who all just happened to think it was a worthwhile cause to donate some dollars to:

http://digitisethedawn.org/

and now the Dawn is available through Trove as a result. It didn't require any library to support the project financially.

So, set up a WWW page and start contacting all your likely Newcastle suspects. And you don't have to fund the entire digitisation in one hit. You can fund just a range of years and then go find the funding for the next set of years. Bite it off in small mouthfuls.

Kerry

I'd love to have a more updated version of the 'future titles' list linked above: I used to follow it but had noticed there's been a whole bunch of stuff uploaded recently that wasn't on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Possibly this is a little harsh.

But on a brighter note I have heard that the the Chronicle and its successor the Newcastle Morning Herald (but not the Pilot as far as I know) are close - even though they're not shown on the TROVE list of selected titles. There are a few Newcastle millionaires who could also possibly be asked to be a little bit more generous with their donations. The cost for Newcastle to 1954 will be nearly a quarter of a million dollars.
    Jane
    I just thought that the Newcastle Lib would be interested enough to find a sponsor, seeing they hold the newspaper archive themselves.
    Expensive !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryRaymond View Post
    The funding of digitisation of newspapers is not limited to libraries. Trove ain't proud; they will take the money from anyone who can raise it! If you know of plenty of opportunities to obtain outside sponsorship, then I suggest you go raise that money and you can have the Newcastle Herald etc digitised and available through Trove.

For example, the digitisation of "The Dawn" was funded by a bunch of individuals and organisations who all just happened to think it was a worthwhile cause to donate some dollars to:

http://digitisethedawn.org/

and now the Dawn is available through Trove as a result. It didn't require any library to support the project financially.

So, set up a WWW page and start contacting all your likely Newcastle suspects. And you don't have to fund the entire digitisation in one hit. You can fund just a range of years and then go find the funding for the next set of years. Bite it off in small mouthfuls.

Kerry
    I just thought that the Newcastle Lib would be interested enough to find a sponsor, seeing they hold the newspaper archive themselves.

I don't live in Newcastle. I am doing family research and have a number of relative that lived in the Hunter region from 1848.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    I'd love to have a more updated version of the 'future titles' list linked above: I used to follow it but had noticed there's been a whole bunch of stuff uploaded recently that wasn't on that list.
    Here, here. I also think there are many items that miss the list. I guess someone forgets to update it.

Trove addict
    Quote Originally Posted by allanhobbs View Post
    I don't live in Newcastle. I am doing family research and have a number of relative that lived in the Hunter region from 1848.
    Then I fear that you will be disappointed as the Maitland Mercury will almost certainly be it. I don't think that the Chronicle or the Pilot were that early (both from memory, beginning in the 1860s and both incomplete) and, as important as Newcastle was in the scheme of things, at this time, Maitland was to Newcastle as Parramatta was to Sydney.

As to the Post and the Star, they are post 1954 so won't be digitalized. I cast my mind back to when I joined TROVE. From NSW only the Maitland Mercury and the Sydney Gazette were scanned - nothing else - I appreciate anything that is added, however it gets there and thank whoever is responsible for doing it or maintaining the whole kit and kaboodle. I rarely look at what's about to be added as it won't make it come any faster! I would hate to make assumptions about why particular groups or libraries haven't appeared to have made any effort to get a newspaper scanned.

Jane
    Last edited by spison; 10-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.