Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you choose to correct?

Re Geoff's comments for WWI:
    For the majority of those who gave the supreme sacrifice in WWI, you will find some of the factual information contained in the AIF Project (http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/index.html). The In Memoriam Notices for many continue for innumerable years, sometimes a decade or more, so that the repetition makes your worthwhile suggestion a little impractical at this point in time.
    Of course, for WW2, you should consult the World War 2 Nominal Roll (http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/)
    Transcriptions of unique (one-off) entries from Family Notices will undoubtedly be of more interest to the wider audience.
    For an index of Death Notices from the Sydney Morning Herald (an ongoing project started 12 years ago), consult the Ryerson Index (http://www.ryersonindex.org/). This site now includes notices from over 170 contemporary newspapers from around Australia.
    I know that having been present at some of the DPS meetings (originators of the Ryerson Index) in the late 1990's, that it was decided not to include In Memoriam notices, because of the repetition so often encountered. (I was an early Ryerson indexer - I know it took me 3 years to index 11 months worth of death notices from paper copies of the SMH).
    Of course, any collaborative effort to systematically transcribe Family Notices, on a state-by-state or newspaper basis would be thoroughly encouraged by everyone. I have done this to some extent myself for early (particularly for pre-BMD registration) editions of newspapers, and now keep a note of bulk monthly transcripts for the SMH that I have corrected on-line.
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by sgdickinson View Post
    Other times, I'll just methodically go through Family Notices in a certain paper, so I can fix up articles that are pretty much entirely gobbledygook and that otherwise would never be returned by a general search on any word at all.
    Yes, that's the approach I'm taking. I'm always delighted to find another family member because somebody has taken the time to transcribe a newspaper that hasn't scanned well and wouldn't otherwise have been googleable. So I try to look for word salad articles.

Totally agree with others too about how fascinating some of the news articles are.

When I first started I corrected a flurry of articles with various family names, I soon found myself correcting a stream of tennis results. I realised I needed to know a bit more about tennis as I wan't sure about the scores I was correcting as the numbers were unclear and I am hoping the corrected scores were possible.
    Moving on and being a resident of Brunswick (Vic) I searched for articles on Brunswick Murder. Local street names kept popping up as well as a some interesting murders, one using dynamite, a series of articles on infantcide and the occasional 'illegal operation'. The different ways of reporting and the use of language as well as the 'personalities' of the court and police, paint a picture of the times that no work of fiction could. I love the hunt and through correction I feel as if I am 'cleaning the windows' in order to catch a glimpse of life in earlier times.

I started out correcting articles relating to my grandfather (Jack Patten), a prominent Aboriginal Civil Rights activist of the 30's-40's. My research interests then took me on to other ancestors, places of interest (various Aboriginal Mission Stations) and both colonial and Aboriginal history in general. I'm currently digging up references to my First Fleet ancestors, Anthony Rope & Elizabeth Pulley and working my way forward to others. On the side I've also taken to reading a great deal about the early days of the NSW Rugby League.

Hello John, I can't speak about your Aboriginal ancestors but I know a microscopic little bit about Anthony Rope and Elizabeth Pulley. Liz was said to be a friend of my FF ancestor, Susannah Holmes and so that's why Liz came to my attention. Do you know where their graves are? I'll send you info if you don't. Cheers!

Hi Julanna, yes whilst I'm familiar with Anthony Rope and his wife Elizabeth's resting place in Castlereagh, I've yet to visit there. Which is a shame, given that ultil a couple of years ago I only lived an hour's distance, and am now in Melbourne. I have seen photos of their location though.

I have come across Susannah Holmes name on several occasions, but I've yet to look into the relationship between her and Elizabeth. However, from memory I think they are related through marriage. I can't confirm this at the moment however, as I don't have my database here at work.

Cheers!

John, there's a book written by a fellow in England about Henry Kable and Susannah Holmes, it's fiction based on some research but he's never been clear about his sources so we can't say if the friendship between Susannah and Elizabeth was fact or purely fiction. Certainly there's so much about their friendship it's fiction about Elizabeth as well so you might like to look at for novelty interest anyway. 'Enduring Spirit: convicts or colonists, the true story of Henry Kable and Susannah Holmes by Len P. Hedges, 2008'. I had to buy it direct from the publisher, scroll down here: http://www.oldforgepublishing.org/page112.html Please take everything in the book with a large pinch of salt...
    Last edited by julanna; 29-08-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added an extra line

I think I've got my work cut out for me. As mentioned earlier, I primarily correct and tag articles relating to my family. Well, since Trove uploaded my grandfather's newspaper the "Abo Call" I've found myself with more articles than time! Not that I'm complaining. I'm glad it's been made freely available, as previously the paper had been a source of income to someone without any connection to the paper itself, or my grandfather who wrote each and almost every article.

Like many I started with family history. So I edit Family Notices in the ARGUS. This became dull after a while, so I read
    ARGUS articles relating to criminal behaviour or accidents resulting in death. When these articles include peoples' names
    , I often fix the names in the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by David.Rowlands View Post
    Then I looked for early mentions of red-back spiders (because someone said you can't find a mention in the 19th century because this particular arachnid is an import from the USA identical to a Black Widow).
    David
    By an odd chance, I have also been pursuing the redback spider, as part of a chase after early uses of typically Australian terms, all tagged with <early use of language>. So far, I have chased dingo, kookaburra, swag, billy, fossick, larrikin, shicer, bludger, bunyip and a number of others. My aim, such as there is one, is to provide material for my trade: I write books for both adults and children, and those itesm are needed to validate their use in a juvenile series that I have planned.

I was chasing monsters mentioned in the press, then switched to bunyips and so came on William Hay Caldwell, the Scot who confirmed that the platypus and echidna lay eggs. I have pursued him uphill and down dale, and I think that any scholar wanting to work on this chap would now be well-equipped. I have even added a comment that when Caldwell died in 1941, his obit in 'Nature' made no mention of his work on the monotremes. [Later addendum: I need to double-check this, as what I accessed was the abstract to the obituary.]

I don't really do family stuff, though I have tagged all the rellies, mainly to help any family members who follow on. I stopped when I uncovered my father's engagement to another lady, not long before he married my mother. That was enough excitement for one year, and all the players are long gone.

Mainly, I am interested in conditions of life, so I have just gone through a series of articles on Sydney health and sanitation, just at the start of the gold rush, and I have spent a lot of time looking at the treatment of deserting sailors in the Water Police Court.

But by training, I am a biologist, so back to that redback: it had another name that takes its history back a bit: it was the red-stripe spider, I think, but it's now safely tagged. The redback is a notorious hitch-hiker: I recall that one rode in a NASA packing case to Tristan da Cunha in the 1970s, but if we imported it, I would not be surprised to learn that what we did was acquire the NZ katipo. Mike Grey at the Australian Museum didn't believe it, but it remains a possibility.

So don't seek rhyme or reason with me. There ARE patterns, but they relate to curiosity and the occasional scrivening imperative.
    Last edited by peter-macinnis; 20-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.