Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you choose to correct?

Trove addict

Exclamation What do you choose to correct?

On an earlier thread David asked what people corrected and I thought that it would be interesting to find out. I began a new thread to allow all the thoughts written to be kept together.

I correct anything that comes up in searches for the surnames and history that I am researching. I pay closer attention to Court Reports, Family Notices and News Items but have edited Advertisements occasionally. This method has sent me to some interesting articles and then I will search out topics on that person, theme or subject. I have learned a lot about Leprosy in Australia, Charles Sturt and the many and various shipwrecks in our waters.
    Jane
    Last edited by spison; 21-07-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added a bit

My favourite thing to correct is anything about crimes and following the crime over many years- starting with reports of the crime (mostly murders), inquest, trial, and dependent on the era the execution. It can be like reading a novel, you can fast forward in time and see how it all plays out. Occasionally I go off on tangents about what I would call interesting trends that were significant issues in their day but today are less so - e.g. infanticide, bachelor tax, desertion (of spouses). Other times establishment of infrastructure - railways, roads, telecommunications. Once in a while I branch off on family history but it is not my primary research.

I have found it very varied and flows from a variety of interests. New things can arise at the drop of a hat, creating a flurry of research. So I started looking for my grandfather's uncle (Lewis Thomas, a prominent builder in Sydney in the 1890 to 1920 period) and connections, both from a genealogical and general interest perspective. Then I followed an old interest in the oil-shale industry at Newnes and Glen Davis. That yields a host of articles. I have followed any mention of my birth place (in Wales, a town called 'Aberystwyth') and surrounding place names to see what turned up. Then I looked for early mentions of red-back spiders (because someone said you can't find a mention in the 19th century because this particular arachnid is an import from the USA identical to a Black Widow). Most recently a work colleague mentioned his family as having come from Woy Woy and having a unique surname so that required a search. Every time, either directed search or, just as often, sheer serendipity, leads to fascinating material you feel duty bound to correct. Even the mention on the news of the anniversary of an historical event (even minor) can warrant a search to see how things were represented at the time. Or it might even just flow from wondering what was in the SMH the day my grandfather landed in Sydney in February 1913. There is just endless interest, and it just gets better as the material is extended.

David

These are a few of my favourite things

I'm ostensibly interested in how events we now know to be significant were reported at the time. I say ostensibly because it is so easy to get side-tracked.

I find television or radio documentaries (usually SBS or RN) can lead one on a voyage of discovery to find major events can be given little prominence but can sometimes be reported more quickly and even frankly than one might expect given the technological limitations of the time and paper shortages. Churchill's orders to destroy the remnants of the French navy which featured in a recent documentary is an example.

Newspaper editorials particularly in time of war are interesting as they urge men to rush to the colours sometimes to doomed campaigns. When it comes to migration issues there can be a touch of the deja vu in the light of current debates.

Many is the time I have wished for a more recent cut off date or newspapers. How much commercial value can there be in news that is even 5 years old yet we are stuck at 1954. It would be great to re-visit the Vietnam war debate, for example. Surely newspapers, particularly the capital city ones, would have an interest in their brand's being re-enforced by releasing more recent editions. It's a shame there is no representation from our national newspapers, The Australian, and the Financial Review. Or The Bulletin.
    Last edited by listohan; 07-05-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Add a bit

I have an interest in British Indian history, so target Indian place names. At the moment, my target is Indian references in the Family Notices since the by-product of fixing the Indian-related text is to correct lots of other people's names as well. But to improve the search hits for other people who aren't used to compensating for the wonderful errors introduced by OCR-ing varying quality images of text, I deliberately search on variations of words based on possible combinations that may be produced by the OCR process. I then fix articles with those errors. For example, I'll deliberately put a "c" or an "o" in the place that an "e" should be, then fix the text in those articles. Or stick the "5" where an "s" should be. That sort of thing.

Other times, I'll just methodically go through Family Notices in a certain paper, so I can fix up articles that are pretty much entirely gobbledygook and that otherwise would never be returned by a general search on any word at all.

With Family Notices, I notice some people just correct the family names at the beginning of each birth, marriage or death. But I correct all text. Otherwise, when searching on a common family name (like "Smith"), there are far too many results returned. If, however, the entire text is corrected, it means searches can be refined by including suburb and street names in the search parameters. Fixing just the names is better than nothing at all, but my personal preference is that if I'm in the article already, I might as well fix it all. I do sometimes skip the generic "In order to guard against imposition..." introductions to some Family Notices, though. Yes, I'm being lazy to do that, but I figure that nobody is searching on that particular intro text, so I'd rather concentrate on correcting the text that people may be searching for.

Sam

Trove user
    My interests are in history particularly industrial history and I have a number of "pet projects" on the go at any one time. Often when searching I will come across related articles and then get involved in reading and correcting them as well. No wonder nothing ever actually gets finished! I often add comments to articles particularly if I think they are important in the context of the research I am doing for example detailed descriptions of the silver smelters at Sunny Corner in NSW.

Henry Kable because of family history, but sometimes I need a change and just browse around or do keyword searches on something that has caught my interest. Macadamias once!

Greetings, I started out on the genealogy road, this site and a few other "real life" sites have been a gold mine, so to speak. While searching, I have been thinking that we are about 4 to 5 years from the 100 year anniversary of the WW1 events, and that so many young lads made the supreme sacrifice. I have started to correct, in no organised order, the Family Notices, especially for the In Memoriams for those lads who did not return.

Could I suggest the task might be a worthwhile exercise for an "organised" group of correctors, and it would certainly provide a resource, worthy of supporting these lads for the centenery.

Has this idea got any legs or support?, I would be pleased to see if there is any interest.

It's a bit of a mix, and I get distracted easily. Mostly it's family and places they lived in. Sometimes it's natural history of Victoria when I look for early discussions on particuler species of birds, animals, frogs, fungi, plants.

Yes, Like many I started with family history. My grandmother's family spent two generations on the NSW Goldfields - Sofala, Wattle Flat etc. I have become interested and corrected many reports from the goldfields talking about the people (including the Chinese) who worked the area.