Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What do you choose to correct?

I start off intending to correct material related to specific research interests, usually relating to a talk, report or book I'm working on. My interests are broad but focus on the Murray-Darling rivers, and Aboriginal and pastoral and water (wells, bores) history of Western NSW. Then I get carried away - especially when a search term turns up a wild range of items. Currently I'm writing a paper on the history of the Scotia country in WNSW- but 'Scotia' picks up Nova Scotia (got side-tracked onto the Halifax disaster, the biggest pre-Hiroshima explosion), the Scotia expedition to the Antarctic (from Scotland of course) and any number of mentions of 'Auld Scotia' -the most entertainly being a literary exchange in Queensland on the question 'Was Burns a Bolshevik?' The search returns are however overwhelmed by the career of a horse named 'Scotia', a number of ships named 'Scotia', one of which sank off Invercargill, NZ, not to mention a prolific correspondent with the pen-name Scotia. I'm selective about what I correct off my original pursuit, but I do tag anything interesting. Currently I'm being sidetracked by the history of a piece of tree-felling equipment called the 'forest devil', and an Aboriginal athlete named 'Prince Chowilla.' Thank you Trove - what an eclectic education!

Trove addict
    Yes, this is an interesting thread.. no pun intended, but most of my searches relate to THREAD crafts -- knitting, crochet, tatting, embroidery, quilting, macrame, with more lace than not. A friend who is an expert at tatting in Queensland told me there were tatting patterns in the newspapers.. So, here I am.

I found hundreds of tatting patterns, twice as many knitting and many, many crochet. Pretty dull correcting... K2,P2,M1, k2tog, etc etc.. I built lists of patterns.

I take breaks in other areas: my cousin's wedding announcement in a Queensland paper -WWII era, and even a story of his mother-in-law visiting my hometown to see her USA grandson; stories of Phar Lap; columns by Eleanor Roosevelt; and a few recipes.

Exhausted those, and moved to botany, biology, geography. Found a description of "The Walls of China" that was written by Australian immigrant Arthur W. Upfield. i'm now collecting his serialized murder mysteries, and Agatha Christie serials,.. and other fiction (Nevil Shute, Mary Roberts Reinhart, Bret Harte, etc.). One of the first Upfield stories appeared in papers in 5 different states.

Think I'll move to humor and cartoons next.
    Last edited by Just4tatts; 15-10-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Like many respondents, I correct things that interest me, with many side-tracks along the way.
    I first discovered TROVE by accident, when Google showed a TROVE reference to slate mining in northern Tasmania.
    The slate mines occupied me for quite a while, after which I switched to our family history. Unfortunately, this petered out fairly quickly, as our forebears appear to have kept a very low public profile.
    The roads, and water & hydro electric schemes near Scottsdale, in NE Tasmania, provided a lot of interest, as did the early mining in NE Tasmania and at Mount Heemskirk, on the West Coast. I've had a couple of stints at correcting Family Notices, but find this somewhat boring if pursued for too long, and prefer articles with interesting narratives. For example, after the disastrous floods in Hobart earlier this year, I searched for articles on Tasmanian floods, especially those related to the Hobart Rivulet, (there have been quite a number(!)), but when I reached the late 1860's, I was side-tracked by a letter by James Smith, describing his explorations and prospecting in the vicinity of Cradle Mountain. James Smith subsequently went on to discover the fabulously rich tin deposits at Mount Bischoff in 1871, but in spite of a few mentions of the ore, he wasn't able to attract public attention to it until the discovery of tin deposits in Qld & NSW. The early years were tough - the mountain was covered in near-impenetrable scrub & there was rain & snow in the winter, which made the road impassable for ore transport. I found a reference to a new, unwindowed hut, with an oiled calico roof, which let the light in - and this was the manager's residence!
    In short, I find TROVE editing is fun & addictive, and its easy to 'dip into' whilst sitting up in bed first thing in the morning or late at night.
    Last edited by croquet-bob; 28-10-2018 at 08:14 PM.