Thread: Lesser-used special symbols - acceptable character set for corrections?

Lesser-used special symbols - acceptable character set for corrections?

Some, mainly financial, newspaper articles use special fonts to represent fractions of a penny which are not available from the "£ Insert Symbol" pull-down menu, such as ⅛,⅜,⅝,⅞.

Here is a very small example: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44532917. Is it acceptable to substitute appropriate Unicode glyphs as I have done here, or should corrections be restricted only to a specific set of characters?

Prolific poster
    Hi AuFCL,

As far as I understand it you can enter most characters you may want to when correcting (not just those available from the 'Insert Symbol' menu). You can enter these using special key combinations (if you know them); or (as suggested on the help pages) use the the Special Characters menu (on a Mac) or the Character Map (for Windows); or copy and paste the characters from a word processor.

But bear in mind that only alphanumeric characters (A..Z and 0..9), spaces and hyphens/dashes (i.e. normal short hyphens, em-dashes and en-dashes) are actually indexed for searching. Everything else is ignored by the indexing process.

There is an important point here if you want to correct people's names or place-names that contain special characters, e.g. umlaut, accent, grave marks, etc. Because these special characters will not be indexed, the name will not be indexed as you might expect, so then that name will not come up in a search if it contains a special character.

The Guidelines state that you should correct the text as in the original, so if it includes a special character then add that too, but then add a plain text version of the name/word as a comment. The contents of the Comments are indexed for searching as well so then the name will be found in a search.

UPDATE: Trove now indexes some special characters commonly found in names (e.g. those in the 'Insert Symbol' menu). These special symbols will be indexed as the plain standard english version of the character, with some special characters that actually represent two characters being indexed as the two plain standard english characters. Also the German umlaut (over a u) is indexed in two forms, "u" and "ue", to cover both possibilities.

Other special characters will not be indexed by Trove for searching. This needs to be considered when editing non-standard English text.

Spearth
    Last edited by Spearth; 03-08-2019 at 02:15 PM.

On a related note, does anyone know what the symbol is on this page?:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3172446/717267
    2nd column, 19th line down and 23rd line down,
    in the paragraphs beginning with "Launceston" and "Hobart Town",
    just above the heading "South Australia".

I'm guessing it stands for "per", as in "£14 per ton" and "£17 per ton", but I can't remember having seen that symbol before.

Seems to be this character "⅌" although I don't have a font that can display it.

http://www.charbase.com/214c-unicode-per-sign

Last edited by aosborne [NLA]; 05-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Alex Osborne, Web Archive Technical Lead, National Library of Australia

"U+214C: PER SIGN"

I see; it is the sign for "per".
    (Never seen it before, I must have had a sheltered childhood.)
    :-)

Nice find Alex, thanks for the link.

Trove addict
    Spearth has commented earlier on special key combinations that can give you alternatives to the drop-down special symbols list.

The following are from a Mac keyboard. My favorite is the em dash ? using Shift-option-hyphen; you get one for each hyphen press. ???

There is an alternate for the umlaut that works for lower case vowels aeiou Sequence is Alt-u then the vowel . ?????
    For a circumflex, sequence ? Alt i, then the vowel ,. ?????
    For the accent acute, sequence alt-e or option-e followed by the vowel . ?????
    The tilde ? is sequenced alt-n, followed by the letter. -- option-n,n ? option-n,o ? Only works with short letters, no below line, no double wide.. no tilde p, no tilde m, no tilde t.
    All of these give you a place-holder (gray screen) and retards the move to the next space, waiting for the vowel or additional letters for the ? to appear under the symbol.

For the grave (left slanted accent) use option ` or option on the ~ key. with a vowel. ??????

If you manage to select something in Greek, or full of mathematics which uses greek letters for special purposes, such as pi, you can get both π and ∏. with option-p or shift-option-P. Daggers are sometimes used in the repeats sections of directions I work on. It is option-T ???.

The open circle degree sign is ˚ option-k (as in kelvin), another two key replacement for the drop-down degree sign.
    To find them on your keyboard, hold down the option key and work across a line on the keyboard: Eg:numbers line gives :????∞??????≠
    All of these displayed in this DRAFT message window, but defaulted to a ? when I chose to post the message, so be sure to check and see if your symbol will save.

The "To Be Continued" users of corrections will be interested in having the accurate marks, as they plan to format the corrected fiction into the look of the original, in paragraphs, and not just as the continuous block of text currently viewable. Comments are still advisable.
    Last edited by Just4tatts; 16-04-2018 at 03:19 PM.