Thread: Scroll box of list names

Scroll box of list names

When you click "Add to list", a scroll box of list names appears. The list names are ordered according to when you created them. This means the current list you are working on is at the bottom of the scroll box, which means (once you have 10+ lists) you have to scroll to get it EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO ADD AN ITEM. I've just reached this number of lists and it's maddening.

Since one is typically adding a series of items (found via a series of keyword searches) to a list, it would be really nice if "Add to list" automatically scrolled to the position of the last list you updated and ticked that box. That way, it would be much easier to add successive items and no more work than normal to add an item to a different list.

Kerry

Since you have to be logged-in to have lists, the last updated list could be stored as part of the user profile (it would not need to be part of the visible profile).

Thank you for these suggestions Kerry,

They have been added to our list of suggestions.

As a separate idea, would it be easier if you had the last updated list displayed at the top of your lists, then the scroll box with all your lists separated from this?

Cheers
    Mark
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Thinking ahead , I foresee the future problem when I have lots and lots and lists (say 100s), I will not have a clue where in the scroll box I will find any particular list (my memory of list creation times isn't likely to be too reliable!) so I suspect I will then say "please make the lists in the scroll box alphabetically ordered". So that's why I have a preference to auto-scrolling to the last used list in its "correct" position in the list of lists.

Having said that, I don't know the relative difficulty of implementing either approach. So I'm probably in favour of whatever I can get soonest :-)
    Last edited by KerryRaymond; 09-04-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I think faster than I type

On Probation
    It would be nice to be able to sort the list, either alphabetically, or in descending order of the date an item was added to the list. That way, if you've added something lately, it would be near the top, if you've added something a while ago, the alphabgetical sort would probably be the best bet.

Cheers, Andrew
    Last edited by mraadgev [NLA]; 12-05-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Link removed - Trove forums are for non-commercial use only

Quote Originally Posted by allretainingwalls View Post
    It would be nice to be able to sort the list, either alphabetically, or in descending order of the date an item was added to the list. That way, if you've added something lately, it would be near the top, if you've added something a while ago, the alphabgetical sort would probably be the best bet.

Cheers, Andrew
    Great Idea

Trove addict
    The advice above is a bit dated: Currently (2019) 1. The list of lists is alphabetic, and numeric. So, you can insert and categorize. 2. When you wish to add an item to a list you are offered a choice of the three or four most recent lists you've added to at the top, along with the option of creating a new list. At the bottom are the other lists . 3 In adding a new item to a list, it is invariably placed at the bottom. If you have found several items through a search, you can refine your search order somewhat before adding them to a list. The search default is "relevance", but you have two date options as well.
    Last edited by Just4tatts; 05-08-2019 at 08:35 PM.