Thread: The Trove Book Club returns - "Retribution" by John Silvester Nottage

The Trove Book Club returns - "Retribution" by John Silvester Nottage

The Trove Book Club returns!

In May we are reading an 1881 short story by John Silvester Nottage: "Retribution". You can read it here:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38222834

We are running the book club throughout the month of May. You can comment here on the forum, or on social media with the hashtag #trovebookclub.

Kath Bode's "Australian Newspaper Fiction Database" has discovered thousands of novels and short stories in Trove's Australian digitised newspapers, including some "unknown" authors. The Tasmanian John Silvester Nottage was in his day both prolific and popular - but his work was lost to memory because it was only published in newspapers! With these newspapers now readable in Trove, 100 years on we are discovering the work of this once forgotten Australian author.

Retribution is a gothic story of revenge set in the Australian outback...

We look forward to seeing your comments. We will keep discussion going throughout the month with some conversation prompts and questions.

Trove user
    I wouldn't read w/o correcting... I've tried to register, but can't get past the password gate-keeper, so I can't add to the data base when I discover new novels that aren't listed. Any clues on what I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Just4tatts View Post
    I wouldn't read w/o correcting... I've tried to register, but can't get past the password gate-keeper, so I can't add to the data base when I discover new novels that aren't listed. Any clues on what I can do?
    Was it just that one article which you couldn't correct, or can't you log into Trove at all?

If it's the latter, you could reset your password:
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/forgotPassword

Trove user
    I can get into Trove fine. I can't get into "to be continued". My Trove password works fine, but I can't get one for "to be continued" that works. I've asked TBC what to do... months ago. The story is a fast read. The transition from the first act to the second is a bit abrupt. It telegraphed the inevitable conclusion. The magical reappearance of the hero or author is a device used in other AU fiction. Perhaps everyone in remote areas gravitates to the water sources, so eventually one encounters every other person within a few thousand kilometers -- not so many plot twists needed.
    The tender young make a fatal mistake. My favorite stories are those where the landscape is part of the plot.
    Last edited by Just4tatts; 20-05-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just4tatts View Post
    I can get into Trove fine. I can't get into "to be continued". My Trove password works fine, but I can't get one for "to be continued" that works. I've asked TBC what to do... months ago.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to re. "to be continued".

I looked at the article that this thread is about, but it has no text saying "to be continued".
    http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38222834

Where is the phrase "to be continued" that is stopping you correcting any Trove articles?
    On your log-in screen?
    In an article?
    Elsewhere?

If it's hard to explain, maybe you could post a screenshot of the problem.
    I'd like to help, but I would need some further explanation of the problem.