Thread: Including Capitalisation in search commands

Including Capitalisation in search commands

One of the frequent websites I visit on my Android smartphone is Trove. When visiting I often enter Command searches (title: nuc: creator:, etc). Unfortunately though Android automatically capitalises the first letter in every query entered. This results in a response of "No matches found for your search." To rectify the search for true results I have to click Caps Lock key twice for every search I enter. If doing many searches in a session the time adds up.

It may not be possible to do due to lowercase requirements of the coding language the commands are embedded in. Although, if the commands could be created to work in First Character capitalisation this would mean people could breeze through searching each and every time they use commands, not just fully lowercase commands. A suggestion I pass on for the programmers of Trove to consider. Sorry if it isn't possible due to coding requirements.

Trove user
    [QUOTE=metagraphon;7125] Unfortunately though Android automatically capitalises the first letter in every query entered. This results in a response of "No matches found for your search." To rectify the search for true results I have to click Caps Lock key twice for every search I enter. If doing many searches in a session the time adds up.

I don't know anything of the android, but, does it make a difference if you put a space before the first letter? Can you put a space before the first letter.

Maurie

Thank you for the suggestion, Maurie. If it worked it would mean one button press to correct the problem, rather than two. Unfortunately Android retains the capitalisation after the [space].

Having the capitalsation of commands would also assist those people who were unfamiliar of the need for lowercase capitalisation when using them. As every search involving power search commands would return a positive result where available, not only those specifically using lower-case power searches. This would be both time saving and also accurately reflective whenever using power searches. Of course this is all dependent on the capability of encoding Upper case commands.

Prolific poster
    It appears to me you want to address the problem from the wrong end !

The problem is not the search functionality on Trove, but the fact that you cannot disable the auto-capitalisation on your phone when you need to (other than having to do it for every single instance); i.e. your phone has not been set up for the real world but dumbed-down for Twit(terer)s.

I do not use an Android phone but a quick Google search will show that MANY people find the auto-capitalisation extremely frustrating.

Most of the advice I saw said that you should be able to go into your phone settings (Language and Inputs --> Keyboard settings) and turn off the auto-capitalisation somewhere under there (maybe further submenus). However, some apps have their own auto-capitalisation setting that over-rides the phone setting - so you may have to tackle the problem there.
    If that sounds like it is too laborious each time you want to use Trove then I did see reference to setting up the 'Assistant Menu' (a quick access floating menu) with a shortcut to make the phone setting.
    Last edited by Spearth; 13-01-2018 at 02:20 PM.