Thread: Map showing what newspapers are digitised in Trove

Trove user

Map showing what newspapers are digitised in Trove

I have something to add to the wish list.

A map of Australia with the geographic position of the town of each newspaper in Trove, including those in suburban areas.

If I am doing a search for a name and I find, from a Sydney newspaper, that a person has been put into Parramatta jail, for a crime committed in the country town of Didjabringakegalong, it would be advantageous to know what newspapers were printed within the vicinity of Didjabringakegalong, to see if that person gets a mention for that crime, or any other items of interest to the editor of the day.

As a Queensland born Australian, I have a rough working knowledge of the towns of the eastern states, at least, but think of somebody doing a family history search, who lives in Shropshire, Cut Bank or Waikikamukau.

My thought is something like the map that was used by the Australian War Memorial a couple of years ago, to show what town the ANZACs joined up from. A large map of Australia, which you can then zoom into an area.

Thanking you in advance,
    Regards
    MaurieRose
    I ❤ Trove

Great suggestion! Even for locals that would really help tp quickly spot relevant newspapers to search

A couple of months ago Tim Sherratt developed a fantastic map tool that is integrated with Trove. This could be used preliminary to something for this purpose being available on Trove.

You can search by map (http://troveplaces.herokuapp.com/all/), zooming in from Australia to the place you're interested by continuing to click on the area closest to the town. Alternatively (http://troveplaces.herokuapp.com/map/) allows you to type any town name in Australia and it will zoom in to that place, populating the map with the nearest digitised newspapers, as well as generating a list on the right hand side with a list of the nearest available digitised newspapers to the town.

Thanks to Prof. Sherratt for creating this resource providing a gateway to Trove.

A very clever and useful idea. Inset capital city maps could be included to deal with the many suburban newspapers.

Those maps are exactly what I've been hoping for. They're going to be very, very helpful for future research. Thank you Prof. Sherratt! And metagraphon too for sharing.

Trove user
    First, thanks for the map tool. It is exactly what I was thinking of when I made the initial request/wish. Thank you Prof Sherratt, and metagraphon, for sharing.
    It has helped a number of times to see what other papers are near to a news item that I have an interest in. I have occasionally been surprised at how far (in miles) from the initial event, some editor of the day has seen fit to include, what I would consider a minor news item, in his or her paper. I guess when you have pages to fill you will filch whatever will help fill those pages.

One small thing, I have found a couple of newspaper indicators that are doubled up and quite a distance from their correct place. EG Nashville Times has a second marker at Bramble Bay, in the coastal suburbs of Brisbane, just north of Brisbane airport, as well as the correct one at Gympie, and there is a St George Call marker inland from Jervis Bay, as well as near Kogarah. Is there a facility for reporting this, so it can be changed?
    It is more apparent when working from the map rather than when searching by name.

Regards
    Maurie

I ❤ Trove
    Last edited by MaurieRose; 18-04-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: fat finger error.

This is a very handy tool. It is a much bigger project but it would be nice to expand it the search capabilities to articles via a map interface. One day